Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Stephen Martin Sozio, M.D.
Associate Director, Johns Hopkins Nephrology Fellowship Program
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Chronic Kidney Disease, Dialysis, Epidemiology, Nephrology
Research Interests: Chronic kidney disease epidemiology; Risk factors for stroke and cognitive impairment in patients with kidney disease, with a special interest in arterial calcification and stiffness; Comparative effectiveness research in dialysis patients; Medical education ...read more
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-1800
4940 Eastern Avenue
301 Building, Suite 3400
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-0670
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Sozio is an Assistant Professor of Medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. After earning his medical degree from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Dr. Sozio completed his internship and residency in Internal Medicine at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Subsequently, he completed fellowship training in Nephrology at Johns Hopkins Hospital and a Master of Health Science in Clinical Epidemiology at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
Dr. Sozio joined the Hopkins Division of Nephrology faculty in 2009 and serves in educational leadership roles in the medical school and fellowship program.
- Associate Director, Johns Hopkins Nephrology Fellowship Program
- Co-Director, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine Genes to Society Renal Course
- Co-Director, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine Epidemiology Course
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2002)
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania / Internal Medicine (2005)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Nephrology (2009, 2019)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- St Peter WL, Sozio SM, Shafi T, Ephraim PL, Luly J, McDermott A, Bandeen-Roche K, Meyer KB, Crews DC, Scialla JJ, Miskulin DC, Tangri N, Jaar BG, Michels WM, Wu AW, Boulware LE.; Patterns in blood pressure medication use in US incident dialysis patients over the first 6 months. BMC Nephrol. 2013 Nov 12;14(1):249. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24219348
- Miskulin DC, Zhou J, Tangri N, Bandeen-Roche K, Cook C, Ephraim PL, Crews DC, Scialla JJ, Sozio SM, Shafi T, Jaar BG, Boulware LE.; Trends in anemia management in US hemodialysis patients 2004--2010. BMC Nephrol. 2013 Dec 1;14(1):264. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24289058
- Tariq Shafi; Stephen M Sozio; Laura C Plantinga; Bernard G Jaar; Edward T Kim; Rulan S Parekh; Michael W Steffes; Neil R Powe; Josef Coresh; Elizabeth Selvin Serum fructosamine and glycated albumin and risk of mortality and clinical outcomes in hemodialysis patients. Diabetes care 2013;36(6):1522-33.
- Julia J Scialla; Lawrence J Appel; Myles Wolf; Wei Yang; Xiaoming Zhang; Stephen M Sozio; Edgar R Miller; Lydia A Bazzano; Magdalena Cuevas; Melanie J Glenn; et al. Plant protein intake is associated with fibroblast growth factor 23 and serum bicarbonate levels in patients with chronic kidney disease: the Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort study. Journal of renal nutrition : the official journal of the Council on Renal Nutrition of the National Kidney Foundation 2012;22(4):379-388.e1.
- Matthew R Weir; Raymond R Townsend; Jeffrey C Fink; Valerie Teal; Stephen M Sozio; Cheryl A Anderson; Lawrence J Appel; Sharon Turban; Jing Chen; Jiang He; et al. Urinary sodium is a potent correlate of proteinuria: lessons from thechronic renal insufficiency cohort study. American journal of nephrology 2012;36(5):397-404.
- L Ebony Boulware; Navdeep Tangri; Patti L Ephraim; Julia J Scialla; Stephen M Sozio; Deidra C Crews; Tariq Shafi; Dana C Miskulin; Jiannong Liu; Wendy St Peter; et al. Comparative effectiveness studies to improve clinical outcomes in end stage renal disease: the DEcIDE patient outcomes in end stage renal disease study. BMC nephrology 2012;13():167.
- Paul J Scheel; Stephen M Sozio; Nancy Feeley Medical management of retroperitoneal fibrosis. Transactions of the American Clinical and Climatological Association 2012;123():283-90; discussion 290-1.
- Deidra C Crews; Stephen M Sozio; Yongmei Liu; Josef Coresh; Neil R Powe. Inflammation and the paradox of racial differences in dialysis survival. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology : JASN 2011;22(12):2279-86.
- Duvuru Geetha; Stephen M Sozio; Mythili Ghanta; Michelle Josephson; Ron Shapiro; Darshana Dadhania; Sundaram Hariharan. Results of repeat renal transplantation after graft loss from BK virus nephropathy. Transplantation 2011;92(7):781-6.
- Matthew R Weir; Raymond R Townsend; Jeffrey C Fink; Valerie Teal; Cheryl Anderson; Lawrence Appel; Jing Chen; Jiang He; Natasha Litbarg; Akinlolu Ojo; et al. Hemodynamic correlates of proteinuria in chronic kidney disease. Clinical journal of the American Society of Nephrology : CJASN 2011;6(10):2403-10.
- Zeeshan Anwar; Elcin Zan; Marco Carone; Arzu Ozturk; Stephen M Sozio; David M Yousem. Superficial temporal artery calcification in patients with end-stage renal disease: Association with vascular risk factors and ischemic cerebrovascular disease. The Indian journal of radiology & imaging 2011;21(3):215-20.
- Stephen M Sozio; Josef Coresh; Bernard G Jaar; Nancy E Fink; Laura C Plantinga; Paige A Armstrong; J Craig Longenecker; A Richey Sharrett; Neil R Powe; Rulan S Parekh. Inflammatory markers and risk of cerebrovascular events in patients initiating dialysis. Clinical journal of the American Society of Nephrology : CJASN 2011;6(6):1292-300.
- Paul J Scheel; Nancy Feeley; Stephen M Sozio. Combined prednisone and mycophenolate mofetil treatment for retroperitoneal fibrosis: a case series. Annals of internal medicine 2011;154(1):31-6.
- Raymond R Townsend; Julio A Chirinos; Afshin Parsa; Matthew A Weir; Stephen M Sozio; James P Lash; Jing Chen; Susan P Steigerwalt; Alan S Go; Chi-Yuan Hsu; et al. Central pulse pressure in chronic kidney disease: a chronic renal insufficiency cohort ancillary study. Hypertension 2010;56(3):518-24.
- Rebecca F Gottesman; Stephen M Sozio. Management of symptomatic carotid stenosis in individuals with CKD. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology : JASN 2010;21(1):9-11.
- Laura C Plantinga; Nancy E Fink; Josef Coresh; Stephen M Sozio; Rulan S Parekh; Michal L Melamed; Neil R Powe; Bernard G Jaar. Peripheral vascular disease-related procedures in dialysis patients: predictors and prognosis. Clinical journal of the American Society of Nephrology : CJASN 2009;4(10):1637-45.
- Stephen M Sozio; Paige A Armstrong; Josef Coresh; Bernard G Jaar; Nancy E Fink; Laura C Plantinga; Neil R Powe; Rulan S Parekh. Cerebrovascular disease incidence, characteristics, and outcomes in patients initiating dialysis: the choices for healthy outcomes in caring for ESRD (CHOICE) study. American journal of kidney diseases : the official journal of the National Kidney Foundation 2009;54(3):468-77.
- Dorry L Segev; Stephen M Sozio; Eun Ji Shin; Susanna M Nazarian; Hari Nathan; Paul J Thuluvath; Robert A Montgomery; Andrew M Cameron; Warren R Maley. Steroid avoidance in liver transplantation: meta-analysis and meta-regression of randomized trials. Liver transplantation : official publication of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases and the International Liver Transplantation Society 2008;14(4):512-25.
- Gregory M Lucas; Joseph A Eustace; Stephen Sozio; Evelyn K Mentari; Kofi A Appiah; Richard D Moore. Highly active antiretroviral therapy and the incidence of HIV-1-associated nephropathy: a 12-year cohort study. AIDS (London, England) 2004;18(3):541-6.