I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Meredith Ann Atkinson, M.D.
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Expertise: Chronic Kidney Disease, End Stage Kidney Disease, Pediatric Kidney Transplant, Pediatric Nephrology
Research Interests: End-stage kidney disease; Anemia in chronic kidney disease; Racial disparities in clinical outcomes among patients with chronic kidney disease ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Pediatrics
Appointment Phone: 410-955-4427
200 N. Wolfe Street
Rubenstein Child Health Building
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Meredith Atkinson is an associate professor of pediatrics in the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She provides care for children with kidney problems of any type, including patients on dialysis; patients with proteinuria, hematuria and chronic kidney disease; and kidney transplant.
Dr. Atkinson's clinical research interests focus on chronic kidney disease and end-stage kidney disease in children. Her specific interests include mechanisms and treatment of anemia in chronic kidney disease and racial disparities in patient outcomes. She is the recipient of numerous research grants and awards, including a K23 Patient Oriented Research award from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases/NIH, and young investigator grants from the National Kidney Foundation, the National Kidney Foundation of Maryland, the Thrasher Research Fund and Amgen Inc.
She received her undergraduate degree in biology from Mount Holyoke College. She earned her M.D. from the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry. She completed a residency in pediatrics at Johns Hopkins, followed by a fellowship in pediatric nephrology at Hopkins, completed in June 2007. During her fellowship training, Dr. Atkinson received a master’s degree in epidemiology from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Dr. Atkinson joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2007.
Dr. Atkinson was elected to the Society for Pediatric Research in 2014. She is a member of several professional organizations, including the National Kidney Foundation and the American Society of Pediatric Nephrology.
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics
- MD, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry (2001)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pediatrics (2004)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pediatric Nephrology (2007)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Pediatric Nephrology (2010)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Pediatrics (2004)
Research & Publications
Dr. Atkinson studies chronic and end-stage kidney disease in children, focusing on the mechanisms and treatment of anemia as well as the biologic and systematic factors that account for disparities in patient outcomes. Some of her latest work has concentrated on unraveling the interplay between vitamin D levels, anemia and race. She is also working to understand treatment outcomes in anemia.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Atkinson MA, Kim JY, Roy CN, Warady BA, White CT, Furth SL. "Hepcidin and risk of anemia in CKD: a cross-sectional and longitudinal analysis in the CKiD cohort." Pediatr Nephrol. 2014 Nov 8. [Epub ahead of print]
Atkinson MA, Juraschek SP, Bertenthal MS, Detrick B, Furth SL, Miller ER 3rd. "Pilot study of the effect of cholecalciferol supplementation on hepcidin in children with chronic kidney disease: Results of the D-fense Trial." Pediatr Nephrol. 2016 Epub Dec 24 doi: 10.1007/s00467-016-3563-6.
Lestz RM, Fivush BA, Atkinson MA. "Association of higher erythropoiesis stimulating agent dose and mortality in children on dialysis." Pediatr Nephrol. 2014 Oct;29(10):2021-8. doi: 10.1007/s00467-014-2820-9. Epub 2014 May 3.
Atkinson MA, Melamed ML, Kumar J, Roy CN, Miller ER 3rd, Furth SL, Fadrowski JJ. "Vitamin D, race, and risk for anemia in children." J Pediatr. 2014 Jan;164(1):153-158.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2013.08.060. Epub 2013 Oct 8.
Atkinson MA, Pierce CB, Fadrowski JJ, Benador NM, White CT, Turman MA, Pan CG, Abraham AG, Warady BA, Furth SL. "Association between common iron store markers and hemoglobin in children with chronic kidney disease." Pediatr Nephrol. 2012 Dec;27(12):2275-83. doi: 10.1007/s00467-012-2266-x. Epub 2012 Jul 27.
Activities & Honors
- Elected , Society for Pediatric Research (SPR), 2014
- Loan Repayment Award for Pediatric Research, NIH, 2009
- Young Investigator Award, National Kidney Foundation, 2008
- Harriet Lane Housestaff Fellow Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2008
- Loan Repayment Award for Pediatric Research, NIH, 2007
- Professional Development Award, National Kidney Foundation of Maryland, 2007
- New Researcher Award, Thrasher Research Fund, 2007
- Junior Faculty Research Award, Amgen Nephrology Institute, 2007
- Training Grant Award, Pediatrics Departmental (NRSA) , 2005 - 2006
- Cardiovascular Epidemiology Research Training Grant Award, 2004 - 2005
- American Board of Pediatrics, 2004
- American Society of Nephrology, 2005
- American Society of Pediatric Nephrology, 2005
- National Kidney Foundation, 2006