Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Abimbola Aina, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Languages: English, Yoruba
Expertise: Maternal Fetal Medicine, Multiple Gestations, Obstetrics
Research Interests: Preterm labor; Thrombophilia in pregnancy; Cervical incompetence
Request an Appointment
The Center for Maternal and Fetal Medicine
Appointment Phone: 410-740-7903
11065 Little Patuxent Parkway
Columbia, MD 21044 map
Dr. Abimbola Aina-Mumuney is an assistant professor in the Johns Hopkins Medicine Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics. Her areas of clinical expertise include high-risk pregnancy conditions and prevention of preterm labor.
Dr. Aina-Mumuney received her undergraduate and master’s degrees in chemistry from Harvard and Radcliffe colleges. She earned her M.D. from Harvard Medical School and completed her residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Henry Ford Hospital. Dr. Aina-Mumuney came to Johns Hopkins to perform a fellowship in maternal-fetal medicine before joining the faculty in 2004.
Dr. Aina-Mumuney’s research interests include thrombophilia in pregnancy, preterm labor and cervical incompetence. In 2009, she teamed up with Johns Hopkins biomedical engineering graduate students to develop a new uterine monitoring system. The students have established a start-up company, CervoCheck for which Dr. Aina-Mumuney now serves as clinical consultant. With her assistance, they have been awarded numerous grants and awards from the Maryland Technology Development Corporation, the Technology Accelerator Fund and the LifeBridge Health Entrepreneur Challenge. Most recently, she was awarded a grant from the National Institutes of Child Health and Human Development as principal investigator. Their device has been patented and is currently being tested in an ovine model.
Dr. Aina is a fellow of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and a member of The Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine. She has served as a reviewer for several medical journals, including the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Clinical and Experimental Hypertension and Gynecologic and Obstetric Investigation. Dr. Aina has published numerous peer-reviewed research articles on preterm labor and perinatal disease. Dr. Aina-Mumuney also has an interest in education and often participates in the mentoring of residents and fellows.
- Assistant Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- MD, Harvard Medical School (1997)
- Henry Ford Hospital / Obstetrics and Gynecology (2001)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology / Maternal and Fetal Medicine (2008)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology / Obstetrics And Gynecology (2005)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Aina-Mumuney A,Hwang K, Sunwoo S, Burd I, Blakemore K. The impact of maternal body mass index and gestational age on the ability of the tocodynamometer to detect uterine contractions: a retrospective study in a US population. J Perinatol. Submitted.
Singer N, Aina-Mumuney A, Poling J, Burton EC. Fetal Death Resulting From An Isolated Congenital Partial Pericardial Defect.Obstet Gynecol. 2014 Feb; 123(2 Pt 2 Suppl 2):443-6.
Stewart A, Aina-Mumuney A, Blakemore K, Fischer A. The degree of fetal bowel dilation as a predictor of postnatal surgery: risk stratification by the degree of dilation. Obstet.Gynecol., 2012; 206: Supplement, S157-S158.
Alper AB, Yi Y, Rahman M, Webber LS, Magee L, von Dadelszen P, Pridjian G, Aina-Mumuney A, Saade G, Morgan J, Nuwayhid B, Belfort M, Puschett J. Performance of Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate Prediction Equations, Preeclamptic Patients. Amer J Perinatol 2011; 28: 425-30
Aina-Mumuney A, Wood ED, Corson CL, Stetten G, Jari S, Boehm CD, Blakemore KJ. Clinical consequences of an increasing trend of preferential use of cultured villi for molecular diagnosis by CVS. Prenat Diagn. 2008 Apr;28(4):332-4.
Aina-Mumuney AJ, Holcroft CJ, Blakemore KJ, Bienstock JL, Hueppchen NA, Milio LA, Crino JP. Intrahepatic vein for fetal blood sampling: one center's experience. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008 Apr;198(4):387.
Aina-Mumuney AJ, Fischer A, Blakemore K. Recommendations for Antenatal Surveillance in fetal gastroschisis: Letter-to-the-Editor, J Reprod Med 2007. 52(6); 577-8.
Aina-Mumuney AJ, Blakemore KJ, Fischer AC. Reply to Letter-to-the-Editor. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2005 Mar;192(3):986-7
Book Chapters, Monographs
- Simpkins F, Aina-Mumuney AJ. Third-Trimester Bleeding in: The Johns Hopkins Review of Gynecology and Obstetrics. pp 47 (4). Publisher: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2004.
- Szymanski LM, Aina-Mumuney AJ. Hematologic Disorders of Pregnancy, in The Johns Hopkins Manual of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 4th edition, ed Fortner KB, Szymanski LM, Fox HE, Wallach EE, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA 2007; pp 215-30.
- DeStephano C, Aina-Mumuney AJ. Gastrointestinal Disease in Pregnancy, in The Johns Hopkins Manual of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 5th edition, ed Fortner KB, Szymanski LM, Fox HE, Wallach EE, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA 2013, In Press.
Preterm Labor Monitor
Patent # US20150031976 A1 | 01/29/2015
Preterm Labor Monitor
Patent # US8874183 B2 | 10/28/2014
Preterm Labor Monitor
Patent # WO2011103473 A3 | 11/10/2011
Activities & Honors
- Award of Research Excellence, The Society for Maternal Fetal Medicine Annual Meeting, 2014
- Fellows in Academic Career Program, NIH/NMA, 2002
- Hippocrates Award, 1999
- ACOG AWARD, 1999
- John Harvard Scholarship for Academic Achievement, Harvard College, 1993
- Elizabeth Cary Agassiz Merit Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement, Radcliffe College, 1993
- National Science Foundation Award, synthesized antibiotics produced by nematode worms, 1990
Videos & Media
Obesity and Pregnancy
Pregnancy and Diabetes