Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Pedro Alejandro Mendez-Tellez, M.D.
Medical Director of Respiratory Care Services
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Languages: English, Spanish
Request an Appointment
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-9080
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Pedro A. Mendez-Tellez is an assistant professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine and surgery at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He also serves as medical director of Respiratory Care Services at The Johns Hopkins Hospital. His areas of clinical expertise include acute care surgery, trauma and critical care trauma.
Dr. Mendez-Tellez received his medical degree from the Juan N. Corpas School of Medicine in Colombia. He completed his residency in anesthesiology at the University at Buffalo, The State University of New York, and then performed a fellowship in critical care medicine at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
He is board certified in anesthesiology and critical care medicine.
- Medical Director of Respiratory Care Services
- Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- Assistant Professor of Surgery
- MD, Juan N Corpas School of Medicine (1984)
- SUNY at Buffalo School of Medicine / Anesthesiology (1992)
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center / Critical Care Medicine (1993)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Anesthesiology (1994)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Critical Care Medicine (1995)
Research & Publications
- Brodsky MB, Gellar JE, Dinglas VD, Colantuoni E, Mendez-Tellez PA, Shanholtz C, Palmer JB, Needham DM. "Duration of oral endotracheal intubation is associated with dysphagia symptoms in acute lung injury patients." J Crit Care. 2014 Aug;29(4):574-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jcrc.2014.02.015. Epub 2014 Feb 27.
- Schreiber MP, Colantuoni E, Bienvenu OJ, Neufeld KJ, Chen KF, Shanholtz C, Mendez-Tellez PA, Needham DM. "Corticosteroids and transition to delirium in patients with acute lung injury." Crit Care Med. 2014 Jun;42(6):1480-6. doi: 10.1097/CCM.0000000000000247.
- Fan E, Dowdy DW, Colantuoni E, Mendez-Tellez PA, Sevransky JE, Shanholtz C, Himmelfarb CR, Desai SV, Ciesla N, Herridge MS, Pronovost PJ, Needham DM. "Physical complications in acute lung injury survivors: a two-year longitudinal prospective study." Crit Care Med. 2014 Apr;42(4):849-59. doi: 10.1097/CCM.0000000000000040.
- Mendez-Tellez PA, Dinglas VD, Colantuoni E, Ciesla N, Sevransky JE, Shanholtz C, Pronovost PJ, Needham DM. "Factors associated with timing of initiation of physical therapy in patients with acute lung injury." J Crit Care. 2013 Dec;28(6):980-4. doi: 10.1016/j.jcrc.2013.06.001. Epub 2013 Jul 9.
- Bienvenu OJ, Gellar J, Althouse BM, Colantuoni E, Sricharoenchai T, Mendez-Tellez PA, Shanholtz C, Dennison CR, Pronovost PJ, Needham DM. "Post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms after acute lung injury: a 2-year prospective longitudinal study." Psychol Med. 2013 Dec;43(12):2657-71. doi: 10.1017/S0033291713000214. Epub 2013 Feb 26.