Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Elizabeth Anne Hunt, M.D., M.P.H., Ph.D.
David S. and Marilyn M. Zamierowski Director of the Johns Hopkins Medicine Simulation Center
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Languages: English, French
Expertise: Critical Care
Research Interests: Teamwork in Crises; Rapid Response Teams; Simulation; Pediatric Cardiac Arrest
Request an Appointment
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-2393
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-614-0847
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Elizabeth Anne Hunt is an associate professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine and pediatrics at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She serves as the David S. and Marilyn M. Zamierowski Director of the Johns Hopkins Medicine Simulation Center. She specializes in pediatric critical care.
Dr. Hunt graduated as a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society from Albany Medical College of Union University. She completed residencies in internal medicine and pediatrics at Duke University and conducted a fellowship in pediatric anesthesiology at Johns Hopkins. Additionally, she earned an M.P.H. and a Ph.D. in clinical epidemiology from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
Her work analyzing in-hospital resuscitation systems through the use of simulation earned her the 2003 Pearl M. Stetler Grant for Women Researchers, the 2004 Johns Hopkins Helen Taussig Young Investigator Award, and the First Place Award for a Platform Presentation at the 2004 and 2010 International Meetings on Medical Simulation. Dr. Hunt has been fortunate to have the opportunity to present, practice or teach about pediatric resuscitation issues throughout the world.
- David S. and Marilyn M. Zamierowski Director of the Johns Hopkins Medicine Simulation Center
- Co-Chair of the Johns Hopkins CPR Advisory Committee
- Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics
- Joint Appointment in Health Sciences Informatics
Departments / Divisions
- MD, Albany Medical College of Union University (1995)
- Duke University School of Medicine / Pediatrics (1999)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pediatric Anesthesiology (2003)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Pediatric Critical Care Medicine (2004, 2012)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Pediatrics (1999, 2014)
Research & Publications
Dr. Hunt's thesis involved the use of simulation to assess the performance of pediatric residents during pediatric cardiopulmonary arrests.
She is a founding member and senior co-chair of INSPIRE (International Network of Simulation-based Innovation, Research and Education).
Dr. Hunt's research examines innovative methods to improve the quality of care delivered and ultimately clinical outcomes for children who suffer a cardiopulmonary arrest. This includes implementation of rapid response systems, cardiac arrest data capture and debriefing, medical device and simulator redesign and the introduction of novel simulation educational approaches including data driven debriefing and introduction of the approach “Rapid Cycle Deliberate Practice.”
She has been invited to present her simulation and rapid response team research around the globe and has been fortunate to have the opportunity to present, practice and teach issues pertaining to pediatric resuscitation throughout the world.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Lee JK, Brady KM, Chung SE, Jennings JM, Whitaker EE, Aganga D, Easley RB, Heitmiller K, Jamrogowicz JL, Larson AC, Lee JH, Jordan LC, Hogue CW, Lehmann CU, Bembea MM, Hunt EA, Koehler RC, Shaffner DH. "A pilot study of cerebrovascular reactivity autoregulation after pediatric cardiac arrest." Resuscitation. 2014 Oct;85(10):1387-93.
- Cheng A, Auerbach M, Hunt EA, Chang TP, Pusic M, Nadkarni V, Kessler D. "Designing and conducting simulation-based research." Pediatrics. 2014 Jun;133(6):1091-101.
- Hunt EA, Duval-Arnould JM, Nelson-McMillan KL, Bradshaw JH, Diener-West M, Perretta JS, Shilkofski NA. "Pediatric resident resuscitation skills improve after "rapid cycle deliberate practice" training." Resuscitation. 2014 Jul;85(7):945-51
- Edelson DP, Yuen TC, Mancini ME, Davis DP, Hunt EA, Miller JA, Abella BS. "Hospital cardiac arrest resuscitation practice in the United States: a nationally representative survey." J Hosp Med. 2014 Jun;9(6):353-7.
- Warren SA, Huszti E, Bradley SM, Chan PS, Bryson CL, Fitzpatrick AL, Nichol G; American Heart Association's Get With the Guidelines-Resuscitation (National Registry of CPR) Investigators. "Adrenaline (epinephrine) dosing period and survival after in-hospital cardiac arrest: a retrospective review of prospectively collected data." Resuscitation. 2014 Mar;85(3):350-8.
Activities & Honors
- First Place Award, International Meetings on Simulation in Healthcare, 2010
- Named one of the State of Maryland’s Top 100 Women, The Daily Record, 2008
- Johns Hopkins Helen Taussig Young Investigator Award, 2004
- Johns Hopkins Harriet Lane House Staff Appreciation Award, 2004
- Pearl M. Stetler Grant for Women Researchers, 2003
- American Heart Association
- Society for Critical Care Medicine
- Society for Simulation in Healthcare
- Society in Europe for Simulation Applied to Medicine (SESAM)
- Program Committee for 2006 & 2007 , AHA sponsored Resuscitation Science Symposium, 2006 - 2007
- Reviewer, Pediatric Blood and Cancer, 2004
- Reviewer, Journal of Simulation in Healthcare, 2005
- Reviewer, British Medical Journal, 2006
- Reviewer, JCAHO journal, 2007
- Reviewer, Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, 2007
Videos & Media
Lectures and Presentations
Third Annual Peter Safar Symposium
University of Pittsburgh
Toronto Critical Care Conference
American Heart Association Scientific Symposium