I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Christian Paul Pavlovich, M.D.
Director, Urologic Oncology, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Professor of Urology
Languages: English, Croatian, French, German, Serbian, Spanish
Expertise: Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), Bladder Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Robotic Prostatectomy, Urology
Research Interests: Early detection of prostate cancer and prostatic disease; Minimally-invasive surgery; Urinary biomarkers; Prostatic disease; Prostate cancer ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 443-997-1849
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 410-955-6100
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-7008
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Christian P. Pavlovich is an associate professor of urology at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. He is the director of urological oncology at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center and Fellowship Director of Urologic Oncology for the Brady Urological Institute.
His clinical focus is on prostate, kidney and bladder cancer and benign prostatic diseases. He is experienced in performing open, laparoscopic and other minimally invasive surgeries for the management of urologic tumors, including nerve-sparing and robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy, laparoscopic and robotic nephrectomy and partial nephrectomy, and robotic radical cystectomy.
Dr. Pavlovich treats cancer with an emphasis on minimizing morbidity and maximizing quality of life, while offering patients the latest treatment options and techniques.
He is a National Institutes of Health- and Department of Defense-funded investigator whose research focuses on identifying early-detection methods for prostate and kidney cancer, including novel biomarkers for these diseases.
Dr. Pavlovich earned his medical degree at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) School of Medicine. He completed a urology residency at New York Hospital and a National Cancer Institute fellowship in urologic oncology before joining the Hopkins faculty in 2001.
American Board of Urology-certified, Dr. Pavlovich has published nearly 90 peer-reviewed articles and contributed to a number of books, including the Johns Hopkins Medicine Prostate Cancer Update 2012.
He also has served as an editor for publications such as the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Journal of Urology, British Journal of Cancer, Urologic Oncology and World Journal of Urology.
Dr. Pavlovich speaks English, French, Spanish, German, Croatian and Serbian.
- Director, Urologic Oncology, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Director, Urologic Oncology Fellowship
- Professor of Urology
- Professor of Oncology
- MD, University of California San Francisco (1993)
- Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences / Urology (1999)
- National Institutes of Health-Credentialing Services Section / Urologic Oncology (2001)
- American Board of Urology / Urology (2003)
Research & Publications
Dr. Pavlovich is a National Institutes of Health- and Department of Defense-funded researcher whose focus is identifying early-detection methods for prostate and kidney cancer, including novel biomarkers for these diseases.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Ball MW, Reese AC, Mettee L, Pavlovich C: Safety of Minimally Invasive Radical Prostatectomy in Patients with Prior Abdominopelvic or Inguinal Surgery. J Endourol. 2014 Aug 19. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25137522
Reese AC, Johnson PT, Gorin MA, Pierorazio PM, Allaf ME, Fishman EK, Netto GJ, Pavlovich CP: Pathological Characteristics and Radiographic Correlates of Complex Renal Cysts. Urol Oncol. 2014 Jul 8. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:25022857
Ball MW, Bezerra SM, Gorin MA, Cowan M, Pavlovich CP, Pierorazio PM, Netto GJ, Allaf ME. Grade Heterogeneity in Small Renal Masses: Potential Implications for Renal Mass Biopsy. J Urol. 2014 Jun 21. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:24960470
Pavlovich CP, Cornish TC, Mullins JK, Fradin J, Mettee LZ, Connor JT, Reese AC, Askin FB, Luck R, Epstein JI, Burke HB: High-resolution transrectal ultrasound: Pilot study of a novel technique for imaging clinically localized prostate cancer. Urol Oncol. 2014; 32(1): 34.e27-32.
Kaye DR, Hyndman ME, Segal RL, Mettee LZ, Trock BJ, Feng Z, Su L-M, Bivalacqua TJ, Pavlovich CP: Urinary outcomes are significantly affected by nerve-sparing quality during radical prostatectomy. Urology 2013; 82(6), 1348-54.
Pavlovich CP. Reply to editorial comment on "Urinary outcomes are significantly affected by nerve sparing quality during radical prostatectomy," Urology. 2013 Dec;82(6):1354. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2013.06.071. Epub 2013 Oct 3. No abstract available.
Pavlovich CP, Levinson AW, Su LM, Mettee LZ, Feng Z, Bivalacqua TJ, Trock BJ. "Nightly vs on-demand sildenafil for penile rehabilitation after minimally invasive nerve-sparing radical prostatectomy: results of a randomized double-blind trial with placebo." BJU Int. 2013 Oct;112(6):844-51. doi: 10.1111/bju.12253. Epub 2013 Aug 13.
Sundi D, Reese AC, Mettee LZ, Trock BJ, Pavlovich CP. "Laparoscopic and robotic radical prostatectomy outcomes in obese and extremely obese men." Urology. 2013 Sep;82(3):600-5. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2013.05.013. Epub 2013 Jul 13.
Pierorazio PM, Mullins JK, Ross AE, Hyams ES, Partin AW, Han M, Walsh PC, Schaeffer EM, Pavlovich CP, Allaf ME, Bivalacqua TJ. "Trends in immediate perioperative morbidity and delay in discharge after open and minimally invasive radical prostatectomy (RP): a 20-year institutional experience." BJU Int. 2013 Jul;112(1):45-53. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2012.11767.x.
Activities & Honors
- Urology Teaching Award, Brady Urological Institute, 2006
- First Prize, Ambrose/Reed Socioeconomics Essay Contest, American Urological Association (AUA), 2004
- First Prize, Video Contest, American Urological Association (AUA), 2004
- Pfizer Scholar in Urology, 1999
- Outstanding Presentation, Society of University Urology Residents, 1999
- Distinguished Housestaff Award, Presbyterian Hospital, Cornell Medical Center, 1999 - 1999
- First Prize, Ambrose/Reed Socioeconomics Essay Contest, AUA, 1998, 1998
- Yamanouchi Prize for Urology Resident Research, 1997 - 1997
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, 1993
- Continuing Scholarship Award, Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI), 1993
- Immunology Research Scholarship, Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI), 1992
- Fulbright Swiss Universities Fellowship (Molecular Biology), 1988
- Harvard National Scholarship, 1987
- Harvard College Scholarship, 1987
- National Presidential Scholar, 1984
- American Medical Association
- American Urological Association
- Society of Endourology
- Society of Urologic Oncology
- Mid-Atlantic Section, American Urological Association
- Board of Directors, Mid-Atlantic Section, American Urological Association, 2013