Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Ann O'Shea Scheimann, M.D.
Medical Advisor, Adolescent Bariatric Surgery Program
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Expertise: Gastroenterology, Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease, Nutrition, Obesity, Obesity Surgery, Pediatric Gastroenterology
Research Interests: Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease; Prader-willi Syndrome, obesity
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-8769
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Ann O'Shea Scheimann is an associate professor of pediatrics at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Her areas of clinical expertise include pediatric gastroenterology, nutrition and pediatric liver disease including cholestatic liver disease and fatty liver disease.
Dr. Scheimann received her B.S. from the University of Dayton. She earned her M.D. from the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine and her M.B.A. from Johns Hopkins. She completed her internship and residency in pediatric medicine and a fellowship in pediatric gastroenterology at the Baylor College of Medicine. In 2000, she joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in pediatrics, where her research focuses on non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, obesity and Prader-Willi syndrome.
Prior to joining Johns Hopkins, Dr. Scheimann was an assistant professor of pediatrics at Baylor College of Medicine.
In 2005, she developed Weigh Smart, a comprehensive pediatric weight management program funded by the Johns Hopkins Children’s Center, Mt. Washington Pediatric Hospital, and the University of Maryland. She currently serves as the chair of the Pediatric Nutrition Advisory Committee at Johns Hopkins Children's Center.
Dr. Scheimann serves on the editorial boards of Pediatrics and Therapeutics, World Journal of Gastroenterology and World Journal of Hepatology. She has received numerous awards and including a grant from the Mt. Washington Pediatric Foundation to start the Weigh Smart program. She has received research support from Agencies including the National Institutes of Health, Foundation for Prader-willi Research and Prader-willi Syndrome Association. She is a member of several professional organizations, including the American Association for the Advancement of the Study of Liver Disease, Obesity Society and the North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition.
- Medical Advisor, Adolescent Bariatric Surgery Program
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Departments / Divisions
- MD, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine (1990)
- Baylor College of Medicine / Pediatric Gastroenterology (1996)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Pediatric Gastroenterology (1997)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Pediatrics (1994)
Research & Publications
Dr. Scheimann’s research focuses on non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, obesity and Prader-Willi syndrome in children.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Powell, DR., Allander, SV., Scheimann, AO., Wasserman, RM., Durham, SK., Suwanichkul, A. Multiple Proteins Bind the Insulin Response Element in the Human IGFBP-1 Promoter. Progress in Growth Factor Research, 1995 6(2-4):93-101.
Allander SV, Durham SK., Scheimann AO, Wasserman RM, Suwanichkul A, Powell DR. Hepatic Nuclear Factor 3 and High Mobility Group I/Y Proteins Bind the Insulin Response Element of the Insulin-like Growth Factor-binding protein-1 Promoter, Endocrinology, 1997;138(10): 4291-300.
Durham SK., Suwanichkul A, Scheimann AO., Yee D, Jackson JG., Barr FG., Powell DR. FKHR Binds the Insulin Response Element in the Insulin-like Growth Factor Binding-protein-1 Promoter, Endocrinology, 1999;140(7): 3140-6.
Ellis KJ., Scheimann AO, Lee, PDK. Body Composition Measurements: Application in Prader-willi Syndrome, The Endocrinologist, July 2000, 10(4): 57S-63S.
Scheimann AO, Durham SK, Suwanichkul A, Snuggs MB, Powell DR. The Role of Three FKHR Phosphorylation Sites in Insulin Inhibition of FKHR Action in Hepatocytes. Hormone Metabolic Research, 2001 November; 33: 631-8.
Stevenson DA, Heinemann J, Angulo M, Butler MG, Loker J, Rupe N, Kendell P, Clericuzio CL, Scheimann AO. Deaths Due to Choking in Prader-Willi Syndrome. Am J Med Genet A. 2007 Mar 1;143(5):484-7.
Scheimann AO, Strautnieks SS, Knisely AS, Byrne JA,Thompson R, Finegold M. Mutations in Bile Salt Export Pump (ABCB11) in Two Children with Progressive Familial Intrahepatic Cholestasis and Cholangiocarcinoma. J Pediatr. 2007 May;150(5):556-9.
Stevenson DA, Heineman J, Angulo M, Butler MG, Loker J, Kendell P, Cassidy S, Scheimann AO. Gastric Rupture and Necrosis in Prader-willi Syndrome. J Pediatr Gastro Nutr 2007;45:272-4.
Scheimann AO, Butler MG, Cuffari C, Gourash L, Klish W. Critical Analysis of Bariatric Procedures in Prader-willi Syndrome. JPGN (in press).
Williams K, Scheimann A, Sutton V, Hayslett E, Glaze D. Sleepiness and Sleep Disordered Breathing in Prader-willi Syndrome: Relationship to Genotype, Growth Hormone Therapy and Body Composition. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine (in press).
Tibesar E, Karwowski C, Hertel P, Scheimann A, Karnsakul W. "Two cases of progressive familial intrahepatic cholestasis type 2 presenting with severe coagulopathy without jaundice." Case Rep Pediatr. 2014;2014:185923. doi: 10.1155/2014/185923. Epub 2014 Jun 2.
Schwimmer JB, Zepeda A, Newton KP, Xanthakos SA, Behling C, Hallinan EK, Donithan M, Tonascia J; Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Clinical Research Network. "Longitudinal assessment of high blood pressure in children with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease." PLoS One. 2014 Nov 24;9(11):e112569. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0112569. eCollection 2014.
Vasilescu A, Cuffari C, Santo Domingo L, Scheimann AO. "Predictors of severity in childhood pancreatitis: correlation with nutritional status and racial demographics." Pancreas. 2015 Apr;44(3):401-3. doi: 10.1097/MPA.0000000000000281.
Hourigan SK, Torbenson M, Tibesar E, Scheimann AO. "The full spectrum of hepatic steatosis in children." Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2015 Jan 7. pii: 0009922814566927.
Hourigan SK, Abrams S, Yates K, Pfeifer K, Torbenson M, Murray K, Roth CL, Kowdley K, Scheimann AO; NASH CRN. "Relation between vitamin D status and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in children." J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2015 Mar;60(3):396-404. doi: 10.1097/MPG.0000000000000598.
Activities & Honors
- Montgomery County Medical Society Award, University of Dayton, 1986
- Brother Molz Memorial Service Award, University of Dayton, 1986
- Whisman Academic Scholarship to the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, 1986
- Service Award, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine Alumni Association, 1990
- National Scientific Advisory Board for the Prader-willi Syndrome Association, 2002
- Accepted for Membership in the American Association for the Advancement of the Study of Liver Disease, 2002
- International Scientific Advisory Board for the International Prader-willi Syndrome Association, 2007
- Grant Award, Mt. Washington Pediatric Foundation, 2005 - 2009
- Clinical Fellowship Grant, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, 1993 - 1995
- Bob Swain Service Award, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, 1988
- American Association for the Advancement of the Study of Liver Disease
- North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition
- Prader-Willi Syndrome Association
- American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition
- Obesity Society
- Pediatric principal investigator, NIH, 2002 - 2008
- Co-chair, National Convention, Prader-Willi Syndrome Association, 2006 - 2007
- Co-chair, National Scientific Meeting, Prader-Willi Syndrome Association, 2007
- Co-chair, International Hyperphagia Conference, 2009
- Chair, Data Safety Monitoring Committee, Peds C Study, National Institutes of Health, 2010
- Chairperson, Planning Committee, Pediatric Nutrition Symposia, NASPGHAN, 2011
- National Scientific Advisory Board, Prader-Willi Syndrome Association, 2002
- Editorial Board, World Journal of Hepatology
- Editorial Board, Pediatrics and Therapeutics
Videos & Media
Lectures and Presentations
Childhood Obesity: A Crisis in Healthcare
Pediatric Grand Rounds, Baltimore, MD (01/01/2005)
Johns Hopkins Hospital