Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Katarzyna Jadwiga Macura, M.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Director ICTR Imaging Translational Program
Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Languages: English, Polish
Expertise: Diagnostic Radiology, Image-Guided Biopsies, Image-Guided Interventional Procedures, Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Oncologic Imaging, Prostate Cancer
Research Interests: Magnetic Resonance Imaging; Genitourinary imaging; Female pelvic imaging; Male pelvic imaging; Prostate Cancer Imaging; Image-guided Interventions ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 443-997-7237
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Katarzyna J. Macura is a professor in the Johns Hopkins Medicine department of radiology and radiological science and a professor of oncology and urology at Johns Hopkins University. She is a radiologist consultant for the Prostate Cancer Multidisciplinary Clinic at the Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, MD and for the Sibley’s Prostate Cancer Multidisciplinary Clinic in Washington, D.C. Dr. Macura established a clinical and research prostate imaging program with a focus on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
Dr. Macura is board certified in diagnostic radiology and has an expertise in cross-sectional body imaging, image-guided biopsies, MRI and prostate cancer.
Dr. Macura earned her medical degree from the Medical University of Lodz in Poland. She completed a residency in diagnostic radiology at the Medical College of Georgia and a fellowship in cross-sectional body imaging at Johns Hopkins University.
Dr. Macura is a member of several national and international radiology organizations. She served as president of the Maryland Radiological Society, the Maryland Chapter of the American College of Radiology, between 2013 and 2015, as well as president of the American Association for Women Radiologists AAWR in 2005. She was named the Outstanding Teacher of the Year by Hopkins radiology residents in 2006. Dr. Macura was also named the Honored Educator by the Radiological Society of North America in 2012 and 2014.
Dr. Macura is a Fellow of the American College of Radiology and the Society of Computed Body Tomography and Magnetic Resonance.
- Assistant Director ICTR Imaging Translational Program
- Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
- Professor of Oncology
- Professor of Urology
Centers & Institutes
- Brady Urological Institute
- Clinical and Translational Research, Institute for
- Computational Medicine, Institute for
- Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Imaging Translational Technology Core
- MD, Medical University of Lodz (1989)
- Augusta University - Medical College of Georgia / Diagnostic Radiology (2000)
- American Board of Radiology / Diagnostic Radiology (2000)
Research & Publications
Dr. Macura’s research focuses on genitourinary magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Dr. Macura established a clinical and research prostate imaging program at Hopkins with focus on MRI applications in men with prostate cancer managed in active surveillance. She is Assistant Director for the Imaging Translational Program of the Johns Hopkins Institute for Clinical and Translational Research.
Core Facility: Imaging Translational Technology Core
Clinical Trial KeywordsProstate Cancer Imaging
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Perform customized search PubMed search
macura k[Author Name]
Activities & Honors
- Cum Laude Award, Radiological Society of North America, 2001
- Special Recognition Award, President of the American Association for Women Radiologists, 2001
- Leadership Award, American Association for Women Radiologists, 2002
- Young Investigator Award, Society of Computed Body Tomography and Magnetic Resonance, 2003
- Certificate of Merit, American Roentgen Ray Society, 2004
- Bronze Medal, American Roentgen Ray Society, 2004
- Radiology Editors Recognition, 2004
- Cum Laude Award Scientific and Educational Exhibits, European Congress of Radiology, Vienna, 2005
- Cum Laude Award for Scientific Presentation, Society of Computed Body Tomography and Magnetic Resonance, 2005
- Outstanding Faculty Teacher of the Year 2005, Residents Award, Department of Radiology, Johns Hopkins University, 2005
- American Roentgen Ray Society 2006 Philips Scholarship, 2006
- Certificate of Honor, in recognition of the 5th place in the ranking of the Womens Imaging Specialist category of the 2007 Medical Imaging Industry Top 10 Awards, 2007
- Bronze Medal, American Roentgen Ray Society, 2008
- Certificate of Merit for educational exhibit entitled: Advancements in MR Imaging of the Prostate: From Diagnosis to Intervention, Radiological Society of North America, 2009
- Certificate of Meritfor educational exhibit entitled: Diffusion-weighted Imaging: Principles and Applications in Body Imaging., Radiological Society of North America, 2010
- Certificate of Merit 2010 for educational exhibit entitled: MR Imaging of the Prostate: How to Do It Right., Radiological Society of North America, 2010
- Distinguished Reviewer of JMRI, certificate for distinguished service., Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, 2011
- Certificate of Meritfor educational exhibit entitled: A Primer on Dynamic Contrast-enhanced MRI: Principles and Applications in Oncologic Imaging., Radiological Society of North America, 2011
- Bronze Medal for educational exhibit presented at 2012 Annual Meeting: Radiologic and Pathologic Correlation of Rare Prostatic Neoplasms., American Roentgen Ray Society, 2012
- RSNA Honored Educator Award, RSNA, 2012
- RSNA Honored Educator Award, RSNA, 2014
- Fellow, American College of Radiology, FACR, 2014
- Fellow, Society for Computed Body Tomography and Magnetic Resonance (FSCBT-MR), 2013
- American Association for Women Radiologists (AAWR), 1996
- American College of Radiology (ACR), 1996
- American Medical Association (AMA), 2007
- American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA), 1994 - 1996
- American Roentgen Ray Society (ARRS), 2001
- Association of University Radiologists (AUR), 2001
- International Association of Knowledge Engineers (IAKE), 1993 - 1995
- International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM), 2002
- Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), 1996
- Sigma Delta Epsilon Graduate Women In Science, 1992 - 1996
- Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society, 1993 - 1996
- Society for Advancement of Womens Imaging (SAWI), 2004
- Society for Computed Body Tomography & Magnetic Resonance (SCBT/MR), 2005
- Society for Computer Applications in Radiology (SCAR), 1995 - 1996
- Society of Applied Learning Technology (SALT), 1993 - 1996
- President , American Association for Women Radiologists, 2005
- President , Maryland Radiological Society, 2013 - 2015