Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Andrew L Mammen, M.D., Ph.D.
Expertise: Muscular Dystrophies, Myositis, Neurology, Neuromuscular Disease, Neuromuscular Disorders
Research Interests: Muscle regeneration in myositis; Link between myositis and cancer
Request an Appointment
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-6962
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Andrew Mammen sees patients with diseases affecting muscle and nerve and has a special interest in autoimmune myositis, toxic myopathies, and muscular dystrophy.
Dr. Andrew Mammen received his MD and PhD from The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He then completed his Internship and Residency in Neurology at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, followed by fellowship training in Neuromuscular Medicine.
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- MD PhD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2000)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Neurology (2004)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Neurophysiology (2006)
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology / Neurology-General (2006)
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology / Neuromuscular Medicine (2012, 2017)
Research & Publications
Dr. Mammen's research focuses on muscle regeneration in myositis as well as the link between myositis and cancer.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Mohassel P, Mammen AL. The spectrum of statin myopathy. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2013 Nov;25(6):747-52. doi: 10.1097/01.bor.0000434673.85515.89. PMID: 24061077
- Fiorentino DF, Chung LS, Christopher-Stine L, Zaba L, Li S, Mammen AL, Rosen A, Casciola-Rosen L. Most patients with cancer-associated dermatomyositis have antibodies to nuclear matrix protein NXP-2 or transcription intermediary factor 1γ. Arthritis Rheum. 2013 Nov;65(11):2954-62. doi: 10.1002/art.38093. PMID: 24037894
- Mohassel P, Mammen AL. Statin-associated autoimmune myopathy and anti-HMGCR autoantibodies. uscle Nerve. 2013 Oct;48(4):477-83. doi: 10.1002/mus.23854. Epub 2013 Aug 30. Review. PMID: 23519993
- Casciola-Rosen L, Mammen AL. Myositis autoantibodies. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2012 Nov;24(6):602-8. Review. PMID: 22955022
- Werner JL, Christopher-Stine L, Ghazarian SR, Pak KS, Kus JE, Daya NR, Lloyd TE, Mammen AL. Antibody levels correlate with creatine kinase levels and strength in anti-3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A reductase-associated autoimmune myopathy. Arthritis Rheum. 2012 Dec;64(12):4087-93. doi: 10.1002/art.34673. PMID: 22933019
- Casciola-Rosen L, Hall JC, Mammen AL, Christopher-Stine L, Rosen A. Isolated elevation of aldolase in the serum of myositis patients: a potential biomarker of damaged early regenerating muscle cells. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2012 Jul-Aug;30(4):548-53. Epub 2012 Aug 29. PMID: 22703875
- Ostrow LW, Corse AM, Morrison BM, Huff CA, Carrino JA, Hoke A, Mammen AL. Expanding the spectrum of monoclonal light chain deposition disease in muscle. Muscle Nerve. 2012 May;45(5):755-61. doi: 10.1002/mus.23287. PMID: 22499107
- Mammen AL, Gaudet D, Brisson D, Christopher-Stine L, Lloyd TE, Leffell MS, Zachary AA. Increased frequency of DRB1*11:01 in anti-hydroxymethylglutaryl-coenzyme A reductase-associated autoimmune myopathy. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2012 Aug;64(8):1233-7. doi: 10.1002/acr.21671. PMID: 22422616
- Mammen AL, Mahoney JA, St Germain A, Badders N, Taylor JP, Rosen A, Spinette S. A novel conserved isoform of the ubiquitin ligase UFD2a/UBE4B is expressed exclusively in mature striated muscle cells. PLoS One. 2011;6(12):e28861. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0028861. Epub 2011 Dec 9. PMID: 22174917
- Mammen AL, Pak K, Williams EK, Brisson D, Coresh J, Selvin E, Gaudet D. Rarity of anti-3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A reductase antibodies in statin users, including those with self-limited musculoskeletal side effects. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2012 Feb;64(2):269-72. doi: 10.1002/acr.20662. PMID: 21972203
Activities & Honors
- Passano Physician Scientist Award, 2007
- Sir William Osler Young Investigator Award, 2012