Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Graham Wester Redgrave, M.D.
Assistant Director, Eating Disorders Program
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Expertise: Adult Psychiatry, Eating Disorders , Psychiatry
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-3863
600 N. Wolfe Street
Meyer Building 4-181
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Redgrave received his B.A. from St. John's College and his M.D. from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He completed an internship in general internal medicine at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center and psychiatric residency at Johns Hopkins Hospital, where he served as chief resident. Dr. Redgrave is an attending psychiatrist with clinical expertise in eating disorders. His research focuses on neuroimaging of anorexia using MRI techniques, eating disorder treatment outcomes; he is also developing with basic science collaborators in our department techniques to use imaging to study animal models of eating disorders.
Dr. Redgrave was faculty member in the Colleges Advisory Program, where he mentored medical students and taught clinical skills from 2009-2013. He was Associate Director for Residency Education from 2012-2013 and has been Director for Residency Education from 2013.
- Assistant Director, Eating Disorders Program
- Director, Residency Education
- Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Departments / Divisions
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1999)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Psychiatry (2003)
Research & Publications
Research in eating disorders is primarily in neuroimaging of eating disorders but also investigating biomarkers of starvation and weight restoration.
- Roberts, L. W., T. D. Warner, M. Rogers, R. Horwitz and G. Redgrave (2005). "Medical student illness and impairment: a vignette-based survey study involving 955 students at 9 medical schools." Compr Psychiatry 46(3): 229-237.
- Kinzig, K. P., J. W. Coughlin, G. W. Redgrave, T. H. Moran and A. S. Guarda (2007). "Insulin, glucose, and pancreatic polypeptide responses to a test meal in restricting type anorexia nervosa before and after weight restoration." Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 292(5): E1441-1446.
- Redgrave, G. W., J. W. Coughlin, L. J. Heinberg and A. S. Guarda (2007). "First-degree relative history of alcoholism in eating disorder inpatients: relationship to eating and substance use psychopathology." Eat Behav 8(1): 15-22.
- Coughlin, J. W., R. Edwards, L. Buenaver, G. Redgrave, A. S. Guarda and J. Haythornthwaite (2008). "Pain, catastrophizing, and depressive symptomatology in eating disorders." Clin J Pain 24(5): 406-414.
- Redgrave, G. W., A. Bakker, N. T. Bello, B. S. Caffo, J. W. Coughlin, A. S. Guarda, J. E. McEntee, J. J. Pekar, S. P. Reinblatt, G. Verduzco and T. H. Moran (2008). "Differential brain activation in anorexia nervosa to Fat and Thin words during a Stroop task." Neuroreport 19(12): 1181-1185.
- Bello, N. T., A. S. Guarda, C. E. Terrillion, G. W. Redgrave, J. W. Coughlin and T. H. Moran (2009). "Repeated binge access to a palatable food alters feeding behavior, hormone profile, and hindbrain c-Fos responses to a test meal in adult male rats." Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 297(3): R622-631.
- Bello, N. T., J. W. Coughlin, G. W. Redgrave, T. H. Moran and A. S. Guarda (2010). "Oral sensory and cephalic hormonal responses to fat and non-fat liquids in bulimia nervosa." Physiol Behav 99(5): 611-617.
- Coughlin, J. W., R. R. Edwards, G. W. Redgrave and A. S. Guarda (2010). "Pain severity in eating disorders predicts longer inpatient hospitalization." Int J Eat Disord 43(8): 737-742.
- Mroczkowski, M. M., G. W. Redgrave, N. R. Miller, A. N. McCoy and A. S. Guarda (2011). "Reversible vision loss secondary to malnutrition in a woman with severe anorexia nervosa, purging type, and alcohol abuse." Int J Eat Disord 44(3): 281-283.
- Reading, S. A., K. Oishi, G. W. Redgrave, J. McEntee, M. Shanahan, N. Yoritomo, L. Younes, S. Mori, M. I. Miller, P. van Zijl, R. L. Margolis and C. A. Ross (2011). "Diffuse abnormality of low to moderately organized white matter in schizophrenia." Brain Connect 1(6): 511-519.
- Bello, N. T., J. W. Coughlin, G. W. Redgrave, E. E. Ladenheim, T. H. Moran and A. S. Guarda (2012). "Dietary conditions and highly palatable food access alter rat cannabinoid receptor expression and binding density." Physiol Behav 105(3): 720-726.
- Coughlin, J. W., C. C. Schreyer, D. B. Sarwer, L. J. Heinberg, G. W. Redgrave and A. S. Guarda (2012). "Cosmetic surgery in inpatients with eating disorders: Attitudes and experience." Body Image 9(1): 180-183.
- Unschuld, P. G., R. A. Edden, A. Carass, X. Liu, M. Shanahan, X. Wang, K. Oishi, J. Brandt, S. S. Bassett, G. W. Redgrave, R. L. Margolis, P. C. van Zijl, P. B. Barker and C. A. Ross (2012). "Brain metabolite alterations and cognitive dysfunction in early Huntington's disease." Mov Disord.
- Unschuld, P. G., S. E. Joel, X. Liu, M. Shanahan, R. L. Margolis, K. M. Biglan, S. S. Bassett, D. J. Schretlen, G. W. Redgrave, P. C. van Zijl, J. J. Pekar and C. A. Ross (2012). "Impaired cortico-striatal functional connectivity in prodromal Huntington's Disease." Neurosci Lett 514(2): 204-209.
- Unschuld, P. G., S. E. Joel, J. J. Pekar, S. A. Reading, K. Oishi, J. McEntee, M. Shanahan, A. Bakker, R. L. Margolis, S. S. Bassett, A. Rosenblatt, S. Mori, P. C. van Zijl, C. A. Ross and G. W. Redgrave (2012). "Depressive symptoms in prodromal Huntington's Disease correlate with Stroop-interference related functional connectivity in the ventromedial prefrontal cortex." Psychiatry Res.
- Qin, Y. Y., J. T. Hsu, S. Yoshida, A. V. Faria, K. Oishi, P. G. Unschuld, G. W. Redgrave, S. H. Ying, C. A. Ross, P. C. van Zijl, A. E. Hillis, M. S. Albert, C. G. Lyketsos, M. I. Miller, S. Mori and K. Oishi (2013). "Gross feature recognition of Anatomical Images based on Atlas grid (GAIA): Incorporating the local discrepancy between an atlas and a target image to capture the features of anatomic brain MRI." Neuroimage Clin 3: 202-211.
- Unschuld, P. G., X. Liu, M. Shanahan, R. L. Margolis, S. S. Bassett, J. Brandt, D. J. Schretlen, G. W. Redgrave, J. Hua, C. Hock, S. A. Reading, P. C. van Zijl, J. J. Pekar and C. A. Ross (2013). "Prefrontal executive function associated coupling relates to Huntington's disease stage." Cortex 49(10): 2661-2673.
- Chan, T. W., W. Y. Ahn, J. E. Bates, J. R. Busemeyer, S. Guillaume, G. W. Redgrave, U. N. Danner and P. Courtet (2014). "Differential impairments underlying decision making in anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa: a cognitive modeling analysis." Int J Eat Disord 47(2): 157-167.
- Makhzoumi, S. H., A. S. Guarda, C. C. Schreyer, S. P. Reinblatt, G. W. Redgrave and J. W. Coughlin (2015). "Chewing and spitting: A marker of psychopathology and behavioral severity in inpatients with an eating disorder." Eating Behaviors 17(0): 59-61.
- Redgrave, G. W., J. W. Coughlin, C. C. Schreyer, L. Martin, A. Leonpacher, M. Seide, A. Verdi, A. Pletch and A. S. Guarda (in press). "Refeeding and Weight Restoration Outcomes in Anorexia Nervosa: Challenging Current Guidelines." Int J Eat Disord.
Reviews and Chapters
- Redgrave, G. W., K. L. Swartz and A. J. Romanoski (2003). "Alcohol misuse by women." Int Rev Psychiatry 15(3): 256-268.
- Guarda, A. S. and G. W. Redgrave (2004). "Eating disorders: detection, assessment, and treatment in primary care." Adv Stud Med 4(9): 468-475.
- Redgrave, G. and A. Guarda (2005). Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia. Advanced therapy in gastroenterology and liver disease. T. M. Bayless and A. M. Diehl. Hamilton, Ontario, BC Decker, Inc.: 232-238.
- Reinblatt, S. P., G. W. Redgrave and A. S. Guarda (2008). "Medication management of pediatric eating disorders." Int Rev Psychiatry 20(2): 183-188.
- Guarda, A. S. and G. W. Redgrave (2012). Eating Disorders. Principles and practice of hospital medicine. S. C. McKean, J. J. Ross, D. D. Dresser, D. J. Brotman and J. S. Ginsberg. New York, McGraw-Hill: pp.1908-1914.
- Redgrave, G. W., J. Harrison and A. S. Guarda (2013). Emergency Management of Eating Disorders. Emergency Psychiatry. A. Chanmugam, P. T. Triplett and G. Kelen. Cambridge, United Kingdom, Cambridge University Press: pp. 219-234.