Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Susan Hutfless, M.S., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
SUSAN HUTFLESS, PhD is an epidemiologist studying the causes and treatments of gastrointestinal disorders. She is an instructor in the Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology at Johns Hopkins University. She received her master's degree in epidemiology from the Harvard School of Public Health and her PhD from the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health.
Dr. Hutfless has provided epidemiologic expertise in the study design and analysis of large-dataset studies of colorectal cancer surveillance, cervical cancer and mortality in relationship to inflammatory bowel disease. She is currently expanding into obesity research.
She was the recipient of the Young Investigator Award at the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America's Annual Advances in Inflammatory Bowel Disease conference in 2007, the American Gastroenterology Association's Graduate Student Research Award in 2008 and was selected to participate in the 2008 Society for Epidemiologic Research Methodologic Workshop for work using casual models in cancer surveillance.
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- B.A., Creighton University (Nebraska) (2002)
- M.S., Harvard University School of Public Health (Massachusetts) (2006)
- Ph.D., Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (Maryland) (2010)
Research & Publications
1. Khashab M, Alawad AS, Shin EJ, Kim K, Bourdel N, Singh VK, Lennon AM, Hutfless S, Sharaiha RZ, Amateau S, Okolo PI, Makary MA, Wolfgang C, Canto MI, Kalloo AN. Enteral stenting versus gastrojejunostomy for palliation of malignant gastric outlet obstruction. Surg Endosc. 2013 Jan 9. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 23299137
2. Lazarev M, Huang C, Bitton A, Cho JH, Duerr RH, McGovern DP, Proctor DD, Regueiro M, Rioux JD, Schumm PP, Taylor KD, Silverberg MS, Steinhart AH, Hutfless S, Brant SR.Relationship Between Proximal Crohn's Disease Location and Disease Behavior and Surgery: A Cross-Sectional Study of the IBD Genetics Consortium. Am J Gastroenterol. 2013 Jan;108(1):106-12. doi: 10.1038/ajg.2012.389. Epub 2012 Dec 11. PMID: 23229423
3. Hutfless S, Kalloo AN. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. Screening colonoscopy: a new frontier for nurse practitioners. 2013 Feb;11(2):106-8. doi: 10.1016/j.cgh.2012.11.003. Epub 2012 Nov 7. PMID: 23142205
4. Agrawal N, Jiao Y, Bettegowda C, Hutfless SM, Wang Y, David S, Cheng Y, Twaddell WS, Latt NL, Shin EJ, Wang LD, Wang L, Yang W, Velculescu VE, Vogelstein B, Papadopoulos N, Kinzler KW, Meltzer SJ. Comparative genomic analysis of esophageal adenocarcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Discov. 2012 Oct;2(10):899-905. doi: 10.1158/2159-8290.CD-12-0189. Epub 2012 Aug 9. PMID:22877736
5. Khashab MA, Kim K, Hutfless S, Lennon AM, Kalloo AN, Singh VK. Predictors of early stent occlusion among plastic biliary stents. Dig Dis Sci. 2012 Sep;57(9):2446-50. Epub 2012 May 10. PubMed PMID: 22573343.
6. Khashab MA, Tariq A, Tariq U, Kim K, Ponor L, Lennon AM, Canto MI, Gurakar A, Yu Q, Dunbar K, Hutfless S, Kalloo AN, Singh VK. Delayed and unsuccessful endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography are associated with worse outcomes in patients with acute cholangitis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012 Oct;10(10):1157-61. doi: 10.1016/j.cgh.2012.03.029. Epub 2012 Apr 13. PubMed PMID: 22507875.
7. Guaraldi F, Landek-Salgado MA, Hutfless S, Samoni F, Talor MV, Matos PG, Salvatori R, Rose NR, Caturegli P. Pituitary antibodies in women with Hashimoto's thyroiditis: prevalence in diagnostic and prediagnostic sera. Thyroid. 2012 May;22(5):509-15. Epub 2012 Apr 2. PubMed PMID: 22468943; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3338955.
8. Hutfless S, Li DK, Heyman MB, Bayless TM, Abramson O, Herrinton LJ. Prenatal and perinatal characteristics associated with pediatric-onset inflammatory bowel disease. Dig Dis Sci. 2012 Aug;57(8):2149-56. Epub 2012 Mar 24. PubMed PMID: 22447434.
9. Kaul A, Hutfless S, Le H, Hamed SA, Tymitz K, Nguyen H, Marohn MR. Staple versus fibrin glue fixation in laparoscopic total extraperitoneal repair of inguinal hernia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Surg Endosc. 2012 May;26(5):1269-78. Epub 2012 Feb 21. Review. PubMed PMID: 22350225.
10. Kaul A, Hutfless S, Liu L, Bayless TM, Marohn MR, Li X. Serum anti-glycan antibody biomarkers for inflammatory bowel disease diagnosis and progression: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2012 Oct;18(10):1872-84. doi: 10.1002/ibd.22862. Epub 2012 Jan 31. PubMed PMID: 22294465; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3342398.
11. Khashab MA, Hutfless S, Kim K, Lennon AM, Canto MI, Jagannath SB, Okolo PI 3rd, Shin EJ, Singh VK. A comparative evaluation of early stent occlusion among biliary conventional versus wing stents. Dig Dis Sci. 2012 Jun;57(6):1708-16. Epub 2012 Jan 20. PubMed PMID: 22262198.
12. Herrinton LJ, Liu L, Weng X, Lewis JD, Hutfless S, Allison JE. Role of Thiopurine and Anti-TNF Therapy in Lymphoma in Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Am J Gastroenterol. 2011 Dec;106(12):2146-53.
13. Hutfless S, Matos P, Talor MV, Caturegli P, Rose NR. Significance of Prediagnostic Thyroid Antibodies in Women with Autoimmune Thyroid Disease. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2011 Sep;96(9):E1466-71.
14. Mori Y, Olaru AV, Cheng Y, Agarwal R, Yang J, Luvsanjav D, Yu W, Selaru FM, Hutfless S, Lazarev M, Kwon JH, Brant SR, Marohn MR, Hutcheon DF, Duncan MD, Goel A, Meltzer SJ.Novel candidate colorectal cancer biomarkers identified by methylation microarray-based scanning. Endocr Relat Cancer 2011 Jul 4;18(4):465-78.
15. Bennett WL, Maruthur NM, Singh S, Segal JB, Wilson LM, Chatterjee R, Marinopoulos SS, Puhan MA, Ranasinghe P, Block L, Nicholson WK, Hutfless S, Bass EB, Bolen S. Comparative effectiveness and safety of medications for type 2 diabetes: an update including new drugs and 2-drug combinations. Ann Intern Med. 2011 May 3;154(9):602-13. Epub 2011 Mar 14.
16. Bennett WL, Wilson LM, Bolen S, Maruthur N, Singh S, Chatterjee R, Marinopoulos SS, Puhan MA, Ranasinghe P, Nicholson WK, Block L, Odelola O, Dalal DS, Ogbeche GE, Chandrasekhar A, Hutfless S, Bass EB, Segal JB. Oral Diabetes Medications for Adults With Type 2 Diabetes: An Update [Internet]. Rockville (MD): Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US); 2011 Mar.
17. Velayos FS, Liu L, Lewis JD, Allison JE, Flowers N, Hutfless S, Abramson O, Perry GS, Herrinton LJ. Prevalence of colorectal cancer surveillance for ulcerative colitis in an integrated health care delivery system. Gastroenterology. 2010 Nov;139(5):1511-8. Epub 2010 Jul 24.
18. Abramson O, Durant M, Mow W, Finley A, Kodali P, Wong A, Tavares V, McCroskey E, Liu L, Lewis JD, Allison JE, Flowers N, Hutfless S, Velayos FS, Perry GS, Cannon R, Herrinton LJ. Incidence, Prevalence, and Time Trends of Pediatric Inflammatory Bowel Disease in Northern California, 1996 to 2006. Journal of Pediatrics 2010 Aug;157(2):233-239.e1. Epub 2010 Apr 18.
19. Herrinton, LJ, Liu L, Fireman B, Lewis, JD, Allison JE, Flowers N, Hutfless S, Velayos FS, Abramson O, Altschuler A, & Perry GS. Time trends in therapies and outcomes for adult inflammatory bowel disease, northern california, 1998-2005. Gastroenterology 2009, 137(2): 502-511.
20. Lewis JD, Abramson O, Pascua M, Liu L, Asakura LM, Velayos FS, Hutfless SM, Alison JE & Herrinton LJ. Timing of myelosuppression during thiopurine therapy for inflammatory bowel disease: Implications for monitoring recommendations. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2009, 7(11):1195-201.
21. Hutfless SM, Fireman B, Kane S & Herrinton LJ. Risk of cervical cancer in inflammatory bowel disease patients by medication use. Alimentary Pharmacologics & Therapeutics 2008 Sep 1;28(5):598-605.
22. Pressman AR, Hutfless S, Velayos F, Fireman B, Lewis JD, Allison J, Abramson O, Herrinton LJ. Patterns of infliximab use among Crohn's disease patients in a community setting.Inflammatory Bowel Diseases 2008 Sep;14(9):1265-72.
23. Altschuler A, Collins B, Lewis JD, Velayos F, Allison JE, Hutfless S, Liu L, Herrinton LJ. Gastroenterologists' practices and attitudes regarding inflammatory bowel disease.Inflammatory Bowel Diseases 2008 Jul;14(7):992-9.
24. Hutfless SM, Weng X, Allison J & Herrinton LJ. Mortality by medication use among patients with inflammatory bowel disease, 1996-2003. Gastroenterology 2007 Dec;133(6):1779-86.
25. Ding EL, Hutfless SM, Ding X & Girotra S. Chocolate and cardiovascular disease: A systematic review. Nutrition & Metabolism; 2006 Jan 3;3:2.
26. Klein U, Hunzeker C, Hutfless S & Galloway A. Quality of anesthesia for the maxillary primary anterior segment in pediatric patients: comparison of the P-ASA nerve block using CompuMed delivery system vs traditional supraperiosteal injections. Journal of Dentistry for Children 2005; 72(3):119-25.
27. Allen KD, Hutfless S & Larzelere R. An evaluation of two predictors of child disruptive behavior during restorative dental treatment. Journal of Dentistry for Children 2003; 70; 1-5.
28. Allen KD, Kotil D, Larzelere RE, Hutfless S & Beiraghi S. Comparison of a computerized anesthesia device with a traditional syringe in preschool children. Pediatric Dentistry 2002; 24; 315-321.
29. Gibson RS, Allen K, Hutfless S & Beiraghi S. The Wand vs. traditional injection: A comparison of pain related behaviors. Pediatric Dentistry 2000; 22: 458-462.
Activities & Honors
- Co-Recipient of the Louis I. and Thomas D. Dublin Award for the advancement of biostatistics and epidemiology, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, 2007
- Recipient of the Charlotte Ferencz Award in Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, 2008
- Recipient of the American Gastroenterology Association’s Graduate Student Research Award, 2008
- P.E.O. Research Scholar Award, 2009