Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Jennifer Lanier Payne, M.D.
Director, Women's Mood Disorders Center
Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Expertise: Adult Psychiatry, Depression, Mood Disorders, Psychiatry, Women's Mood Disorders
Research Interests: Clinical trials of novel therapeutics in depression and bipolar disorder; Hormonal influences on mood and mood disorders; Women and mood disorders; The genetics of depression and bipolar disorder ...read more
Request an Appointment
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-502-7449
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower Suite 308
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
- Director, Women's Mood Disorders Center
- Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- MD; Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine (1997)
- Johns Hopkins Hospital Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science / Psychiatry (2001)
- National Institutes of Health-Credentialing Services Section / Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program (2003)
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology / Psychiatry (2002, 2017)
Research & Publications
- Payne, J.L., Potash J.B., and DePaulo, J.R. (2005). "Recent Findings on the Genetic Basis of Bipolar Disorder." Psychiatric Clinics of North America; 28 (2):481-498.
- Zarate, C.A., Payne, J.L., Quiroz, J.A., Sporn, J., Denicoff, K.K., Luckenbaugh, D., Charney, D.S., and Manji, H.K. (2004). "An open-label trial of riluzole in patients with treatment-resistant major depression." American Journal of Psychiatry, 161: 171-174.
- Manji, H.K., Quiroz, J.A., Sporn, J., Payne, J.L., Denicoff, K., Gray, N., Chen, G., Zarate, C.A., and Charney, D.S. (2003). "Enhancing synaptic plasticity and cellular resilience to develop novel, improved therapeutics for difficult to treat depression." Biological Psychiatry, 53: 707-742.
- Manji, H.K., Quiroz, J.A., Payne, J.L., Singh, J., Lopes, B.P., Viegas, J.S., and Zarate, C.A. (2003). "The underlying neurobiology of bipolar disorder." World Psychiatry, 2(3): 136-146.
- Payne, J.L. (2003). "The role of estrogen in mood disorders in women." International Review of Psychiatry, 15: 279-289.