Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Theresa Lynn Hartsell, M.D., Ph.D.
Co-Director, Weinberg Surgical Intensive Care Unit
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Research Interests: Critical care medicine; Anesthesiology
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-5000
600 N. Wolfe Street
Meyer Building Suite 291
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Theresa L. Hartsell is an assistant professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She holds a joint appointment in the School of Nursing.
A surgical anesthesiologist and critical care medicine specialist, she serves as the medical co-director of the Weinberg Surgical Intensive Care Unit. She currently serves as director of the Adult Critical Care Fellowship Program, a core faculty member of the school’s Colleges Advisory Program (Clinical Skills) and the faculty leader of the program’s Vivian T. Thomas College.
Since joining the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2002, Dr. Hartsell has been very active in medical and nursing education—teaching scores of courses related to her specialties and leading workshops and seminars.
Dr. Hartsell holds a bachelor’s degree (honors) in chemistry from Carnegie-Mellon University. She earned both her medical and doctoral (medical pharmacology) degrees at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. She trained in internal medicine through the Johns Hopkins/Sinai Hospital Program. She then completed an anesthesiology residency—serving as chief resident in her final year—and a critical care medicine fellowship, both at Johns Hopkins.
She serves as a reviewer for publications that include Critical Care Medicine, Journal of Critical Care, Anesthesiology and Yonsei Medical Journal. She also is a member of the School of Medicine’s Continuing Medical Education Advisory Board, Student Outcomes Research Database Advisory Board and Graduate Medical Education Committee. Dr. Hartsell is American Board of Anesthesiology certified, with special qualification in critical care medicine.
- Co-Director, Weinberg Surgical Intensive Care Unit
- Director, Multidisciplinary Surgical Critical Care Fellowship
- Director, Adult Critical Care Fellowship Program
- Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Departments / Divisions
- Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine - Critical Care Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (1997)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2001)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Critical Care Medicine (2002)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Anesthesiology (2003)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Critical Care Medicine (2003)
Research & Publications
- Berenholtz SM, Hartsell TL, Pronovost PJ. "Learning from defects to enhance morbidity and mortality conferences." Am J Med Qual. 2009 May-Jun;24(3):192-5. doi: 10.1177/1062860609332370. Epub 2009 Mar 3.
- Hartsell T, Long D, Kirsch JR. "The efficacy of postoperative ondansetron (Zofran) orally disintegrating tablets for preventing nausea and vomiting after acoustic neuroma surgery." Anesth Analg. 2005 Nov;101(5):1492-6.
- Srinivasan A, Wolfenden LL, Song X, Mackie K, Hartsell TL, Jones HD, Diette GB, Orens JB, Yung RC, Ross TL, Merz W, Scheel PJ, Haponik EF, Perl TM. "An outbreak of Pseudomonas aeruginosa infections associated with flexible bronchoscopes." N Engl J Med. 2003 Jan 16;348(3):221-7.
- Hartsell TL, Hinman LM, Hamann PR, Schor NF. "Determinants of the response of neuroblastoma cells to DNA damage: the roles of pre-treatment cell morphology and chemical nature of the damage." J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1996 May;277(2):1158-66.
- Hartsell TL, Yalowich JC, Ritke MK, Martinez AJ, Schor NF. "Induction of apoptosis in murine and human neuroblastoma cell lines by the enediyne natural product neocarzinostatin." J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1995 Oct;275(1):479-85.
Activities & Honors
- Best Abstract Award (Administration) 40th Annual Critical Care Congress, 2011
- Outstanding Dedication to Teaching Award, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2001
- Chief Resident, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2000 - 2001
- Bart Chernow/American Board of Internal Medicine Award for Professionalism and Humanism, Sinai Hospital of Baltimore, 1998
- Outstanding Intern of the Year, Sinai Hospital of Baltimore, 1998
- Elizabeth Safar Memorial Award for Multidisciplinary Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 1997
- Eli Goldstein M.D. Award for Scholastic Performance, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 1997
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 1995
- American Society of Anesthesiologists, 1998
- Association of Anesthesiology Subspecialty Program Directors, 2009
- Baltimore-Washington Critical Care Society, 2006
- Johns Hopkins Medical and Surgical Association, 2002
- Maryland Medical and Chirurgical Association, 2005
- Society for Education in Anesthesia, 2003
- Society of Critical Care Anesthesiologists (previously American Society of Critical Care Anesthesiologists), 2007
- Society of Critical Care Medicine, 2001
- Adult Current Concepts in Critical Care Course Planning Committee, Society of Critical Care Medicine, 2012
- Adult Multidisciplinary Critical Care Knowledge Assessment Program Committee, Society of Critical Care Medicine, 2012
- Annual Meeting Abstract Selection Committee, Society of Critical Care Medicine, 2011
- Annual Meeting Abstract Selection Committee, Society for Education in Anesthesia, 2007
- Chair, American Society of Critical Care Anesthesiologists, 2008 - 2011
Fellowship Directors Section
- Communications Committee, American Society of Critical Care Anesthesiologists, 2007 - 2008
- Post, Society of Critical Care Medicine, 2012
Graduate and Fellowship Education Committee
- Research in Education Committee, Society for Education in Anesthesia, 2005
- Undergraduate Education Committee, Society of Critical Care Medicine, 2008 - 2012