I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Sanjay Virendra Desai, M.D.
Director, Osler Medical Training Program
Associate Professor of Medicine
Languages: English, Gujarati
Expertise: Critical Care Medicine, Pulmonary Disease and Critical Care Medicine
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 410-955-3467
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Sanjay Desai is the Director of their Osler Medical Training Program and a specialist in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine at Johns Hopkins University. He is an active clinician and investigator, serving as attending physician in the hospital’s medical intensive care unit, and as an Associate Professor of Medicine and Business. His research focuses on graduate medical education and on clinical outcomes in survivors of critical illness. He currently chairs the Executive Committee of a large, multi-center, randomized study of duty hour regulations in graduate medical education. Sanjay is also the Vice Chair for Education, in which he oversees all educational programs in the Johns Hopkins Department of Medicine. He has appointments in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, General Internal Medicine and the Carey School of Business.
Sanjay serves on multiple national committees including in the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, American College of Physicians and the Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine. He is also a Director of the Osler Leadership Academy which performs professional development for leaders in a variety of non-healthcare industries throughout North America, Europe and Africa.
Previously, Sanjay was Director of the Medical Intensive Care Unit at the Washington Hospital Center and Chair of the hospital’s Critical Care Committee. He also served as an Associate Director for the Georgetown University/Washington Hospital Center Internal Medicine and the Pulmonary and Critical Care training programs. Sanjay has been recognized for his skills as an educator with numerous teaching and leadership awards, has published widely on medical education and critical care, and has been elected as a Fellow of the American College of Physicians.
Sanjay grew up in Baltimore, Maryland and graduated summa cum laude from the University of Pennsylvania with a bachelor of science in bioengineering and a bachelor of economics in healthcare management. He earned his medical degree from Harvard Medical School and completed his medical residency and subspecialty fellowship at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, where is also served as a Chief Resident. During his training, he spent two years as a consultant for McKinsey & Company working in a variety of industries both in the US and in South East Asia. Sanjay lives in Bethesda, Maryland with his wife and twin boys.
- Director, Osler Medical Training Program
- Vice Chair for Education, Department of Medicine
- Associate Professor of Medicine
Departments / Divisions
- Medicine - Pulmonary and Respiratory
- MD, Harvard Medical School (1998)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Internal Medicine (2003)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine (2004)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Internal Medicine (2005)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine (2007)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Critical Care Medicine (2010)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (2003)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Pulmonary Disease (2007)
Research & Publications
Dr. Desai’s research focuses on graduate medical education and on clinical outcomes in survivors of critical illness. He is currently helping lead the development of a large, multi-center, randomized trial of the 2011 duty hour regulations.
- Block L, Jarlenski M, Wu AW, Feldman L, Conigliaro J, Swann J, Desai SV." Inpatient safety outcomes following the 2011 residency work-hour reform." J Hosp Med. 2014 Jun;9(6):347-52. doi: 10.1002/jhm.2171. Epub 2014 Feb 22.
- Fan E, Dowdy DW, Colantuoni E, Mendez-Tellez PA, Sevransky JE, Shanholtz C, Himmelfarb CR, Desai SV, Ciesla N, Herridge MS, Pronovost PJ, Needham DM. "Physical complications in acute lung injury survivors: a two-year longitudinal prospective study." Crit Care Med. 2014 Apr;42(4):849-59. doi: 10.1097/CCM.0000000000000040.
- Block L, Habicht R, Oluyadi FO, Wu AW, Desai SV, Niessen T, Silva KN, Oliver N, Feldman L. "Variability in hand hygiene practices among internal medicine interns." Am J Infect Control. 2013 Nov;41(11):1107-8. doi: 10.1016/j.ajic.2013.03.303.
- Block L, Hutzler L, Habicht R, Wu AW, Desai SV, Novello Silva K, Niessen T, Oliver N, Feldman L. "Do internal medicine interns practice etiquette-based communication? A critical look at the inpatient encounter." J Hosp Med. 2013 Nov;8(11):631-4. doi: 10.1002/jhm.2092. Epub 2013 Oct 12.
- Block L, Habicht R, Wu AW, Desai SV, Wang K, Silva KN, Niessen T, Oliver N, Feldman L. "In the wake of the 2003 and 2011 duty hours regulations, how do internal medicine interns spend their time?" J Gen Intern Med. 2013 Aug;28(8):1042-7. doi: 10.1007/s11606-013-2376-6.
Activities & Honors
- Leadership Development Program (1 year), Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2013
- Award of Excellence for Research Abstract, APDIM, 2012
- Fellow, American College of Physicians, 2012
- Nurses Choice Physician Collaboration Award, Washington Hospital Center, 2010
- Faculty Teaching Award, Washington Hospital Center, 2009
- Faculty Teaching Award, Washington Hospital Center, 2008
- Nurses Choice Physician Collaboration Award, Washington Hospital Center, 2008
- Leadership Development Program Recipient, American College of Chest Physicians, 2008
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2003
- American College of Chest Physicians
- American College of Physicians
- American Thoracic Society
- Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine
- Johns Hopkins Medical and Surgical Association
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Society of General Internal Medicine