Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Edward Stuart Bessman, M.D.
Director of Emergency Medicine, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine
Expertise: Emergency Medicine
Edward Bessman, M.D., completed training in emergency medicine at The Johns Hopkins University. Currently the director of emergency medicine at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, he also is an active member on one of 28 Federal Emergency Management Association (FEMA) Urban Search and Rescue Teams.
- Director of Emergency Medicine, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine
Departments / Divisions
- MD, Harvard Medical School (1981)
- University of Maryland Medical Center / Emergency Medicine (1985)
- American Board of Emergency Medicine / Emergency Medicine (1987, 2007)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Rashid A, Brooks TR, Bessman E, Mears SC. Factors associated with emergency department length of stay for patients with hip fracture. Geriatr Orthop Surg Rehabil. 2013 Sep;4(3):78-83. doi: 10.1177/2151458513502038. PMID: 24319619
- McCarthy ML, Ding R, Zeger SL, Agada NO, Bessman SC, Chiang W, Kelen GD, Scheulen JJ, Bessman ES. A randomized controlled trial of the effect of service delivery information on patient satisfaction in an emergency department fast track. Acad Emerg Med. 2011 Jul;18(7):674-85. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2011.01119.x. PMID: 21762230
- Hoffmann B, Bessman ES, Um P, Ding R, McCarthy ML. Successful sonographic visualisation of the abdominal aorta differs significantly among a diverse group of credentialed emergency department providers. Emerg Med J. 2011 Jun;28(6):472-6. doi: 10.1136/emj.2009.086462. Epub 2010 Aug 2. PMID: 20679421
- Retezar R, Bessman E, Ding R, Zeger SL, McCarthy ML. The effect of triage diagnostic standing orders on emergency department treatment time. Ann Emerg Med. 2011 Feb;57(2):89-99.e2. doi: 10.1016/j.annemergmed.2010.05.016. Epub 2010 Jun 11. PMID: 20541284