Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Christos Savvas Georgiades, M.D., Ph.D.
Director of Interventional Oncology
Associate Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Specializes in: Children (1-11 years), Geriatrics (55+ years), Adults (18+ years), Infants (up to 1 year), Adolescents (12-18 years)
Languages: English, Greek
Expertise: Adrenal Disorders, Cardiac Catheterization, Chronic Total Occlusions, Claudication, Diagnostic Radiology, Hepatobilary Interventions, Interventional Pain Management, Interventional Pulmonology, Kidney Cancer, Liver Tumors, Lower Extremity Angioplasty, Lower Extremity Stenting, Lung Cancer, Oncology, Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD), Peripheral Vascular Disease, Radiofrequency Ablation for Lung, Liver, Kidney and Bone Lesions, Radiofrequency Ablation for Pain Control, Renal Artery Disease, Renal Vascular Disease, Uterine Fibroids, Varicocele, Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Vascular Malformations, Venous Thromboembolism, Visceral Angioplasty, Visceral Stenting ...read more
Research Interests: Liver tumors; Kidney Tumors (Minimally invasive ablations); Adrenal disease
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 443-997-7237
1800 Orleans Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Georgiades earned a series of degrees (BSc-Mechanical Engineering, MS & PhD-Radiological Sciences and an MD). He received a 1-year training in Internal Medicine at Harvard and subsequently, completed subspecialty training at Johns Hopkins in Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology.
He has been a full time faculty at Johns Hopkins since 2003 (except for a 3 year hiatus 2012-2015 when he set up a private practice overseas). He has held various positions including fellowship director, clinical director and was a member of many Departmental and Institutional committees.
He is a prolific researcher with more than 100 manuscripts, more than 100 abstracts, 28 book chapters and numerous presentations at national and international fora.
- Director of Interventional Oncology
- Vice Chair Department of Radiology
- Associate Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Departments / Divisions
- Radiology and Radiological Science - Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology
- MD, Boston University School of Medicine (1997)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Radiology (2002)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Radiology (2003)
- American Board of Radiology / Diagnostic Radiology (2002, 2017)
- Maryland, DHMH, Practice Medicine
Research & Publications
Technology Expertise Keywordsimage-guided, minimally-invasive, cancer, drug delivery
Clinical Trial Keywordslung cancer, cryoablation, radiofrequency ablation, renal cell carcinoma, Hepatocellular carcinoma
Novel cancer treatment options
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Etymology of selected medical terms used in radiology: the mythologic connection.
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Courses and Syllabi
Multiple university, post-graduate and sub specialization level lectures
Activities & Honors
- Featured Abstract. Percutaneous cryoablation for renal cell carcinoma: Efficacy, 2009
- Dr. Constantine Cope Award Percutaneous cryoablation for renal cell carcinoma: Safety, Society of Interventional Radiology, San Diego, CA, 2009
- Selected for Press Release, Scientific Presentations (Multiple), 2009
- Teacher of the Year Award, 2008
- Selected for Press Release, Scientific Presentation Efficacy of CT-Guided, Percutaneous Cryoablation for Renal cell Carcinoma: One year Follow-up, 2008
- Featured Scientific Abstract TACE in Patients with Unresectable Hepatocellular Carcinoma and Portal Vein Thrombosis: Toxicity & Survival Data, 2005
- Excellence in Design Award Scientific Abstract Nature and Rate of Complications Related to Percutaneous Vertebroplasty Procedures for Painful Compression Fractures, 2002
- Roentgen Resident/Fellow Research Award, The Radiological Society of North America, 2001
- Roentgen Resident/Fellow Research Award, The Radiological Society of North America, 2000
- Resident/Fellow Research Award, Department of Radiology & Radiological Sciences, Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2000
- American Association of Academic Chief Residents in Radiology, 2000 - 2004
- American College of Radiology, (ACR) , 1998
- American Roentgen Ray Society, (ARS), 1998 - 2004
- Association of Program Directors in Interventional Radiology, (APDIR), 2005
- Association of University Radiologists, (AUR), 2000 - 2002
- Cardiovascular & Interventional Radiological Society of Europe (CIRSE), 2004
- Chesapeake Interventional Radiology Society, 2002
- Endovascular Forum, 2008
- Johns Hopkins Medical/Surgical Association, 2002
- Maryland Radiological Society, 2002
- Radiological Society of North America, (RSNA), 1998 - 2004
- Society for Interventional Radiology, (SIR), 2002
- Multiple institutional, national and international committees
Videos & Media
Lectures and Presentations
Numerous national & international lectures/presentations on cutting-edge, minimally-invasive treatments