Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Philip Seo, M.D.
Director, The Johns Hopkins Vasculitis Center
Associate Professor of Medicine
Specializes in: Adults (18+ years), Adolescents (12-18 years)
Languages: English, French, Spanish
Expertise: Giant Cell Arteritis, Polyarteritis Nodosa, Rheumatology, Takayasu's Arteritis, Vasculitis
Research Interests: Wegener's Granulomatosis, Microscopic polyargiitis, Churg-Strauss syndrome, Talcayasu's arteritis
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 443-997-1552
5501 Hopkins Bayview Circle
Asthma and Allergy Center
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Philip Seo is an Associate Professor in the Division of Rheumatology. A graduate of Harvard College and the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Columbia University, Dr. Seo completed his Internal Medicine training as a member of the Osler Medical Service at the Johns Hopkins Hospital. Since then, he has worked at Johns Hopkins in several capacities, including as a hospitalist at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, and as an Assistant Chief of Service of the Department of Medicine at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, before joining the Division of Rheumatology.
Dr. Seo is the Director of the Johns Hopkins Vasculitis Center and Director of the Johns Hopkins Rheumatology Fellowship Program. His clinical interests lie in the assessment and treatment of patients with systemic vasculitis, in particular, the ANCA-associated vasculitides, which include granulomatosis with polyangiitis, microscopic polyangiitis, and eosinophilic granulomatosis with polyangiitis.
- Director, The Johns Hopkins Vasculitis Center
- Director, Johns Hopkins Rheumatology Fellowship Program
- Associate Professor of Medicine
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (1997)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Internal Medicine (2000)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Rheumatology (2004)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (2000)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Rheumatology (2004)
Research & Publications
His research interests are the assessment and treatment of ANCA-associated vasculitides, including Churg Strauss Syndrome, Wegener’s Granulomatosis, and Microscopic Polyangiitis.
Clinical Trial KeywordsRitoximob for ANCA-associated Vasculitis, Pexivas, CTLA4 Ig
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Malm IJ, Mener DJ, Kim J, Seo P, Kim YJ. Otolaryngological Progression of Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis after Systemic Treatment with Rituximab. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2013 Oct 23. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24154746
- Grayson PC, Cuthbertson D, Carette S, Hoffman GS, Khalidi NA, Koening CL, Langford CA, Maksimowicz-McKinnon K, Monach PA, Seo P, Specks U, Ytterberg SR, Merkel PA; New features of disease after diagnosis in 6 forms of systemic vasculitis. Vasculitis Clinical Research Consortium. J Rheumatol. 2013 Nov;40(11):1905-12. doi: 10.3899/jrheum.121473. Epub 2013 Aug 1. PMID: 23908447 [PubMed - in process]
- Wilfong EM, Seo P. Vasculitis in the intensive care unit. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2013 Feb;27(1):95-106. doi: 10.1016/j.berh.2013.01.002. Review. PMID: 23507060
- Malik MU, Pandian V, Masood H, Diaz DA, Varela V, Dávalos-Balderas AJ, Parra-Cardenas M, Seo P, Francis HW. Spectrum of immune-mediated inner ear disease and cochlear implant results. Laryngoscope. 2012 Nov;122(11):2557-62. doi: 10.1002/lary.23604. Epub 2012 Sep 18. PMID: 22991211
- Geetha D, Seo P. Advances in therapy for ANCA-associated vasculitis. Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2012 Dec;14(6):509-15. doi: 10.1007/s11926-012-0284-0. Review. PMID: 22895899
- Geetha D, Seo P, Ellis C, Kuperman M, Levine SM. Persistent or new onset microscopic hematuria in patients with small vessel vasculitis in remission: findings on renal biopsy. J Rheumatol. 2012 Jul;39(7):1413-7. doi: 10.3899/jrheum.111608. Epub 2012 Jun 1. PMID: 22660803