I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Alexandra Valsamakis, M.D., Ph.D.
Director, Clinical Virology and Molecular Microbiology
Professor of Pathology
Research Interests: Hepatitis C and B infections; Infectious diseases
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Alexandra Valsamakis is an associate professor of pathology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She holds joint secondary appointments in molecular medicine and immunology, and serves as director of Clinical Virology and Molecular Microbiology.
She received an M.D. from University of Pennsylvania and a Ph.D. in microbiology from the Medical College of Pennsylvania. After a residency in pathology at the University of California-San Diego, she completed two fellowships at Johns Hopkins, one in medical microbiology and a second in microbiology and immunology.
Dr. Valsamakis’ research focuses on the detection, identification, and therapeutic monitoring of infectious diseases, particularly viral infections.
She serves on the editorial boards of Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Diseases and Manual of Clinical Microbiology, and is an ad hoc reviewer for Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology, Journal of Clinical Microbiology, Journal of Molecular Diagnostics and Journal of Viral Hepatitis. She is a member of the American Society for Microbiology, the Association for Molecular Pathology, the Infectious Disease Society of America and the Pan-American Society for Clinical Virology. She is certified in clinical pathology by the American Board of Pathology.
- Director, Clinical Virology and Molecular Microbiology
- Professor of Pathology
- MD, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (1992)
- University of California / Pathology (1994)
- Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health / Microbiology and Immunology (1997)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Medical Microbiology (1998)
- American Board of Pathology / Clinical Pathology (1996)
Research & Publications
Dr. Valsamakis’ research focuses on the detection, identification, and therapeutic monitoring of infectious diseases, particularly viral infections. Her current work entails:
- Improving molecular assays that are critical for the management of hepatitis C and hepatitis B infections
- Devising quantitative assays for viral infections and studying their clinical utility particularly in immunocompromised patients
- Investigation of the performance and utility of automated nucleic acid preparation instrumentation in the clinical laboratory. Her lab uses a variety of conventional (cell culture, antigen detection) and molecular techniques (nucleic acid amplification, primarily PCR and real time PCR).
Elbeik T, J Surtihadi, M Destree, J Gorlin, M Holodniy, S Jortani, K Kuramoto, V Ng, R Valdes, A Valsamakis, N Terrault. Multicenter evaluation of the performance characteristics of the Bayer VERSANT HCV RNA 3.0 assay (bDNA). J. Clin. Micro. 42:563-9, 2004
Forman MS, Valsamakis A. "Verification of an assay for quantification of HCV RNA using an analyte specific reagent and two different extraction methods." J. Clin. Micro. 2004;42:3581-8.
Forman MS, Valsamakis A. "Increased sensitivity of the Roche COBAS AMPLICOR HCV test v.2.0, using modified extraction techniques." J. Molec. Diag. 2004;6:225-30.
Knepp JH, Geahr MA, Forman MS, Valsamakis A. "Comparison of Automated and Manual Nucleic Acid Extraction Methods for the Detection of Enterovirus RNA." J. Clin. Microbiol. 2003;41: 3532-3536.
Dumler JS, Valsamakis, A. "Molecular diagnostics of infectious diseases: complementary tools for a new era of clinical microbiology." Am. J. Clin. Path. 1999;112: S33-S39.
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Graduate Program Affiliation
Graduate Program in Molecular Microbiology and Immunology
Activities & Honors
- American Society for Microbiology
President, Maryland Branch, 2002 - 2004
- Association for Molecular Pathology
Chair-Elect, Infectious Diseases Subdivision
- Infectious Disease Society of America
- Pan-American Society for Clinical Virology
- Ad hoc reviewer, Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology
- Ad hoc reviewer, Journal of Clinical Microbiology
- Ad hoc reviewer, Journal of Molecular Diagnostics
- Ad hoc reviewer, Journal of Viral Hepatitis
- Editorial board, Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
- Editorial board, Manual of Clinical Microbiology