Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
David Steven Friedman, M.D., M.P.H., Ph.D.
Director, Dana Center for Preventive Ophthalmology
Professor of Ophthalmology
Languages: English, Chinese, Indonesian, Mandarin, Spanish
Expertise: Angle-closure glaucoma, Cataracts, Comprehensive Medical and Surgical Ophthalmology, Glaucoma, Glaucoma Surgery, Ophthalmology
Research Interests: Angle-closure glaucoma epidemiology and treatment; glaucoma therapy; intraocular pressure monitoring; health services research; pediatric refractive errors; glaucoma screening; ophthalmic epidemiology of eye disease; diabetic retinopathy screening in underserved communities ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute
Appointment Phone: 410-955-6052
600 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
David S. Friedman, M.D., M.P.H., Ph.D., is the Alfred Sommer Professor at the Wilmer Eye Institute of Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and is also a professor in the departments of epidemiology and international health at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. He is the director of the Dana Center for Preventive Ophthalmology, a leader in global and domestic research on blindness prevention and the only World Health Organization collaborating center in the United States.
Dr. Friedman graduated summa cum laude from Yale College, received his medical degree from Harvard Medical School and obtained a Ph.D. in epidemiology from Johns Hopkins. He completed his residency at Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia, PA, and served as a glaucoma fellow with Dr. Harry Quigley at the Wilmer Eye Institute.
Dr. Friedman is world renowned for his contributions to the study of the mechanisms, epidemiology and prevention of angle-closure glaucoma. He has also made important contributions in the area of medication adherence and was the principal investigator in the first trial to show that an intervention can successfully improve patient use of eye medicines. He is a highly valued glaucoma specialist and cataract surgeon, receiving referrals from the region and overseas. His current research in angle-closure glaucoma is being conducted through clinical trials in south China, where it is very common.
In addition to his research, Dr. Friedman is listed on Best Doctors as a leading glaucoma specialist. As an innovative clinician, he performs one of the newest glaucoma operations, the Trabectome procedure. Dr. Friedman also runs the glaucoma fellowship training program and assists residents with their clinics and in the operating room. His dedication to teaching extends to the medical school where he is a co-director of the scholarly concentration program.
Dr. Friedman is the recipient of various awards from the National Institutes of Health, Research to Prevent Blindness, the American Geriatric Society and the Alcon Research Institute. He has also obtained substantial funding to support research in patient adherence to glaucoma medications. He co-edited a definitive book on angle-closure glaucoma and has published nearly 150 articles.
He serves on the editorial boards of the Cochrane Collaboration and the Journal of Glaucoma, and was on the board of Ophthalmology for many years. He also plays a leadership role in the World Glaucoma Association and the American Glaucoma Society, and recently became the senior ophthalmologist for Helen Keller International, a large non-profit organization dedicated to alleviating blindness worldwide.
He has been invited as the Edmund B. Spaeth lecturer in Philadelphia, the Hong Leung Visiting Professor in Singapore, the Mohammed Aziz lecturer at Johns Hopkins and the Richard Ellis lectureship at Wills Eye Hospital.
He is fluent in Mandarin, proficient in medical Spanish and speaks some Indonesian.
- Director, Dana Center for Preventive Ophthalmology
- Professor of Ophthalmology
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Harvard Medical School (1992)
- Wills Eye Hospital / Ophthalmology (1996)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1997)
- American Board of Ophthalmology / Ophthalmology (1997, 2008)
Research & Publications
Translating Research into Healthy Eye and Vision Loss Prevention. Centers for Disease Control. Role:PI. (2010-2015)
Helen Keller International. HKI implements innovative eyecare programs in countries around the world in blindness prevention efforts. Role: Senior technical advisor. (2009-2013)
Multi-Center Uveitis Steroid Treatment (MUST) Trial. National Eye Institute. Role: Co-Investigator/ Glaucoma Outcomes Specialist. (2009-2013)
Comparative Effectiveness & Medical Interventions for Primary Open Angle Glaucoma. National Eye Institute. Role: JHU PI. (2009-2011)
National Vision Preservation Initiative. Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Role: JHU PI. (2009-2011)
Baltimore Pediatric Eye Disease Survey.National Eye Institute (NEI). Role: Co-PI. (2009-2011)
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Zhao D, Cho J, Kim MH, Friedman DS, Guallar E. Diabetes, fasting glucose, and the risk of glaucoma: a meta-analysis. Ophthalmology. 2015; 122(1):72-8. PubMed [journal] PMID: 25283061
Sengupta S, Nguyen AM, van Landingham SW, Solomon SD, Do DV, et al. Evaluation of real-world mobility in age-related macular degeneration. BMC ophthalmology. 2015; 15:9. PubMed [journal] PMID: 25636376, PMCID: PMC4328075
Owsley C, McGwin G Jr, Lee DJ, Lam BL, Friedman DS, et al. Diabetes eye screening in urban settings serving minority populations: detection of diabetic retinopathy and other ocular findings using telemedicine. JAMA ophthalmology. 2015; 133(2):174-81. NIHMSID: HHSPA700994 PubMed [journal] PMID: 25393129, PMCID: PMC4479273
Chen T, Jin L, Zhou Z, Huang Y, Yan X, et al. Factors influencing the output of rural cataract surgical facilities in China: the SHARP study. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science. 2015; 56(2):1283-91. PubMed [journal] PMID: 25650420
Gao J, Liang Y, Wang F, Shen R, Wong T, et al. Retinal vessels change in primary angle-closure glaucoma: the Handan Eye Study. Scientific reports. 2015; 5:9585. PubMed [journal] PMID: 25928115, PMCID: PMC4415423
Yu T, Li T, Lee KJ, Friedman DS, Dickersin K, et al. Setting priorities for comparative effectiveness research on management of primary angle closure: a survey of Asia-Pacific clinicians. Journal of glaucoma. 2015; 24(5):348-55. NIHMSID: NIHMS500922 PubMed [journal] PMID: 23835674, PMCID: PMC3883875
Weinreb RN and Friedman DS (eds). Angle Closure and Angle Closure Glaucoma. Kugler Publications, The Hague, The Netherlands, 2006.
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Courses and Syllabi
Eye Disease: Epidemiology and Control
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
2002 - 2016
Introduction to the Biomedical Sciences
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
2005 - 2016
Activities & Honors
- Achievement Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2006 - 2006
- Douglas Jahnigen Award, American Geriatrics Society, 2003 - 2005
- Robert E. McCormick Award, Research to Prevent Blindness, 2000 - 2000
- Alpha Omega Delta, Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health, 1986 - 1986
- Mentored Clinical Scientist Training Grant Recipient, National Institutes of Health, 1996 - 2001
- Roy O. Scholz Award, Johns Hopkins University, 1992 - 1992
- Paul Dudley White Scholarship, Harvard Medical School, 1990 - 1990
- Study Abroad Scholarship Taiwan, Stanford University, 1987 - 1987
- Fulbright Scholarship Finalist, Fulbright U.S. Student Program, 1987 - 1987
- Honorary Professor, Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, Zhongshan Medical School, Guangzhou, China
- Senior Ophthalmologist, Helen Keller International
- World Glaucoma Association
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
- American Glaucoma Society
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Glaucoma Research Society
- Pennsylvania Ophthalmology Society
- Fellowship Director, Glaucoma Service: Wilmer Eye Institute, 2007 - 2016
Organize fellow activities, hold research meetings with the fellow and residents, and train the fellows in surgical techniques.
- Co-Director, Scholarly Concentration Medical School Course, 2008 - 2016
The required MD program provides medical students with faculty-mentored scholarly experiences in areas of individual interest.
- Co-Director, Public Health Ophthalmology Course, Dana Center, Wilmer Eye Institute
- Scientific Advisory Board, Prevent Blindness America, 2010 - 2016
- Consultant, Allergan, 2010 - 2016
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Glaucoma, 2006 - 2016
- Lecturer, Uniformed Services University of Healthy Services, 2001 - 2016
Lecture annually to military doctors who will be working overseas on tropical eye diseases
- Consultant, Zeiss-Meditec
- Consultant, Alcon
- Chairperson: Angle-Closure Consensus Panel, Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- Co-Director, Johns Hopkins University-Sun Yatsen University Clinical Research Collaboration
- Member: Glaucoma Preferred Practice Patterns Panel, American Academy of Ophthalmology:
- Member, External Advisory Board, Singapore Epidemiology of Eye Disease (SEED)
- Peer Reviewer, American Journal of Epidemiology
- Peer Reviewer, American Journal of Ophthalmology
- Peer Reviewer, Eye
- Peer Reviewer, Archives of Ophthalmology
- Peer Reviewer, Indian Journal of Ophthalmology
- Peer Reviewer, British Journal of Ophthalmology
- Member, Merck U.S. Advisory Board, 2011 - 2013
- Research Advisory Committee, Singapore Eye Research Institute International, 2008 - 2010
- Glaucoma Advisory Board, NicOx, 2008 - 2008
- Member, Pfizer U.S. Advisory Board, 2003 - 2007
- U.S. Advisory Board Member, Allergan, 2007 - 2007
Videos & Media
International Research: Angle-Closure in Asia
Data Analysis on Glaucoma Treatment
Teaching Medical Students
Lectures and Presentations
Lecture , Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (01/01/2013)
King Khaled Eye Surgical Hospital
Grand Rounds , Madurai, India (01/01/2013)
Aravind Eye Hospital
Visiting professor (01/01/2012)
University of California
Named Lecture (01/19/2012)
University of California San Francisco
Mohammad Aziz Lecture International Ophthalmology
Named Lecture , Baltimore, MD (01/01/2010)
Wilmer Eye Institute
Richard Ellis Lecture
Named Lecture , Philadelphia (01/19/2011)
Wills Eye Hospital
Hong Leong Invited Professorship
Named Lecture , Singapore (01/19/2010)
National University of Singapore
“Eye Disease in Developing Countries"
Lecture , Melbourne, Australia (01/01/2008)
The Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital: Centre for Eye Research Australia
“Patient Doctor Communications,” and “Angle Closure Glaucoma”
Lectures , Ann Arbor, MI (01/01/2008)
University of Michigan Kellogg Eye Institute
E.B. Spaeth Lecture
Named Lecture , Philadelphia, PA (01/19/2008)
Wills Eye Hospital
“Quality of Life Assessment in Glaucoma”
Lecture , Glaucoma Faculty Conference , London, England (01/01/2007)
Moorfields Eye Hospital-
“Understanding Angle Closure Glaucoma”
Lecture , Stanford, CA (01/01/2006)
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
The Ophthalmologist PowerList 2016: David Friedman