Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Dawn LaPorte, M.D.
Vice Chairman, Education
Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Expertise: Arthritis of the Fingers, Arthritis of the Hand, Arthritis of the Wrist, Avascular Necrosis (AVN) of the Hand and Wrist, Carpal Injuries, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Dupuytren's Contracture, Hand Conditions, Hand Reconstruction, Hand Surgery, Nerve Compression, Orthopaedic Hand Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedics, Peripheral Nerve Disorders, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Tendon Transfer, Tendonitis of the Elbow, Tendonitis of the Fingers, Tendonitis of the Hand and Wrist, Ulnar Neuropathy, Upper Extremity Reconstruction ...read more
Research Interests: Resident education; Wrist innervation; Wrist pain; Triangular fibrocartilage complex (TFCC) tears; Peripheral nerve
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 443-997-2663
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Medicine - Green Spring Station
Appointment Phone: 443-997-2663
10753 Falls Road
Baltimore, MD 21093 map
Dr. Dawn LaPorte is a professor of orthopaedic surgery at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. Her areas of clinical expertise are hand and wrist injuries, including ligament injuries, avascular necrosis, arthritis, nerve compression syndromes and Dupuytren’s contracture. Dr. LaPorte serves as the residency program director for the Orthopaedic Surgery Training Program.
Dr. LaPorte received her undergraduate degree from Massachusetts Institute of Technology. She completed her orthopaedic surgery training at Johns Hopkins and performed her hand and upper extremity surgery fellowship training at the Curtis National Hand Center.
Her research interests include wrist pain, triangular fibrocartilage complex (TFCC) tears and resident education.
Dr. LaPorte is a member of the American Society of Surgery for the Hand (ASSH) and serves on multiple ASSH committees, including the Diversity Committee and the Resident Education Committee. She serves on the Governing Council of the national Council of Orthopaedic Residency Directors.
- Vice Chairman, Education
- Residency Program Director, Orthopaedic Surgery
- Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Departments / Divisions
- Orthopaedic Surgery - Hand Surgery
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1995)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Orthopaedic Surgery (2000)
- Medstar Union Memorial Hospital / Hand Surgery (2001)
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery / Hand Surgery (2004)
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery / Orthopaedic Surgery (2003)
Research & Publications
Dr. Laporte's research focuses on improving musculoskeletal education for orthopaedic and non-orthopaedic resident training. The ultimate goal of her research is to improve patient care.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Bernard JA, Dattilo JR, Laporte DM. "The incidence and reporting of sharps exposure among medical students, orthopedic residents, and faculty at one institution." Journal of Surgical Education. 2013 Sep-Oct;70(5):660-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jsurg.2013.04.010. Epub 2013 Jun 6.
- Bernholt DL, Garzon-Muvdi J, LaPorte DM, Yang SC, McFarland EG. "A survey of current policy and practice of surgical exposure for preclerkship medical students at American medical institutions." American Journal of Surgery. 2013 Sep;206(3):433-8. doi: 10.1016/j.amjsurg.2013.01.032. Epub 2013 Jun 6.
- Skelley NW, Tanaka MJ, Skelley LM, LaPorte DM. "Medical student musculoskeletal education: an institutional survey." J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012 Oct 3;94(19):e146(1-7). doi: 10.2106/JBJS.K.01286.
- Brunton LM, Laporte DM. "Use of gabapentin and pregabalin for hand surgery patients." J Hand Surg Am. 2012 Jul;37(7):1486-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jhsa.2012.04.013. Review.
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Graduate Program Affiliation
Residency in Orthopaedic Surgery
Activities & Honors
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- American Orthopaedic Association
- Diversity Committee, American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Governing Council of the Council of Orthopaedic Residency Directors, American Orthopaedic Association
- Chair, Resident Education Committee, American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Review Committee