Abdominal Aneurysms, Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm, Aneurysms, Aortic Aneurysms, Aortic Stent-Grafts/Endografts, Aortic Surgery, Arterial Aneurysm, Arteriovenous Fistulas, Claudication, Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), Endovascular Therapies, General Surgery, Hypertension, Inherited Heart Diseases, Intermittent Claudication, Laser Atherectomy, Limb Salvage Surgery, Lower Extremity Angioplasty, Lower Extremity Revascularization, Lower Extremity Stenting, Marfan Syndrome, Mesenteric Arterial Insufficiency, Minimally Invasive Endovascular Aneurysm Repair, Peripheral Arterial Disease, Peripheral Vascular Disease, Redo Lower Extremity Vascular Reconstruction, Renal Artery Disease, Stenting, Syncope, Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms, Thoracic Imaging, Thoracic Surgery, Vascular Disease, Vascular Surgery, Vascular Ultrasound, Vasculitis, Venous Disease, Venous Insufficiency, Visceral Stenting, Visceral Vessel Reconstruction
Molecular biology and development of rapid diagnostic assays for aortic dissection. Aortic wall homoeostasis and dysfunction leading to thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysms.
Dr. Black joined the surgical faculty of the Johns Hopkins Hospital in 2004. He completed his General Vascular Surgery Fellowship in the Division of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery at the Massachusetts General Hospital and received his General Surgery Training in the Halsted General Surgery Training Program at the Johns Hopkins Hospital. In addition to his interest with open surgical reconstruction of carotid, extremity and complex aortic disease, he aggressively pursues the application of minimally invasive endovascular technologies for patients with aortic aneurysms and aortic dissection, occlusive disease of the carotid, renal, mesenteric, and lower extremity arteries. His research interests include the cellular and molecular events underpinning the development of aortic catastrophe in both atherosclerotic and connective tissue disorders, as well as diagnosis of aortic dissection and malperfusion syndromes.
Additional Resources +
Professional Societies (to present):
1995 American Medical Association
1999 American College of Surgeons
2005 Society for Vascular Surgery
2005 Association of Academic Surgery
2006 Peripheral Vascular Surgery Society
2006 Chesapeake Vascular Society
2007 Eastern Vascular Society
2008 Southern Association for Vascular Surgery
2008 Society for Vascular Ultrasound
Clinical Trial Keywords
- Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine (Chicago IL) (1995)
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital/ General Surgery (Baltimore MD) (2002)
- Massachusetts General Hospital/ General Vascular Surgery (Boston MA) (2004)
- Vascular Surgery, American Board of Surgery (2005)
Research & Publications +
1. Black, JH, Davison JK, Cambria RP. Regional hypothermia with epidural cooling for prevention of spinal cord ischemic complications after thoracoabdominal aortic surgery. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2003 Oct; 15(4):345-52. Review.
2. Black JH, Cambria RP. Aortic Dissection: Perspective for the Vascular/Endovascular Surgeon. For, 6th Edition of Rutherfords Textbook of Vascular Surgery. 2005.
3. Ridell JM, Black JH, Brewster DC, Dunn PF. Endovascular Aneurysm Repair. Int Anesthiol Clin. 2005 Winter, 43(1):79-91. Review.
4. Levine WC, Lee JJ, Black JH, Cambria RP, Davison JK. Thoracoabdominal aneurysm repair: anesthetic management. Int Anesthesiol Clin. 2005 Winter; 43 (1): 39-60. Review.
5. Black JH. Peripheral Arterial Disease, Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms, and Peripheral Aneurysms. Principles of Ambulatory Medicine, 7th edition, 2007. Editors: Fiebach NH, Kern DE, Thomas PA, and Ziegelstein RC.
5. Brooke B, Black JH. Clinical Vascular Examination. For, Image Guided Interventions. 2007. Editors: Murphy K, and Venbrux T, MD.
6. Matsen SA, Black, JH. Endovascular Repair of Thoracic Aortic Pathology: A New Approach to Aneurysm, Dissection, Ulceration and Traumatic Lesions. For, The Johns Hopkins Manual of Cardiothoracic Surgery (1st Edition). 2007 Editor: David Yuh, MD.
7. Black JH. Thoracoabdominal and Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms. For, Current Surgical Therapy, 10th ed. Editor: John L. Cameron, MD. 2008
8. Black, JH. Aneurysms caused by Connective Tissue Disorder. For, Rutherford's Textbook of Vascular Surgery, 7th Ed. Editor: Jack Cronenwett, MD and James Seeger, MD. 2009.
9. Black, JH, Arnaoutakis G. A Primer for Vascular Disease. For Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation. 2009.
Academic Affiliations & Courses +
Activities & Honors +
2008 Aortic Dissection: Management in the Endovascular Era. Tumulty Post- graduate Course. Directors: William Schlott MD, John Flynn MD, and Lisa Simonson MD.
2008 Peripheral Vascular Manifestations of Loeys-Dietz Syndrome. Society for Vascular Surgery Annual Meeting. San Diego, California.
2008 Aneurysms Outside the Aorta. National Marfan Foundation Annual Meeting. Boston, Massachusetts.
2008 Accuracy of Duplex Ultrasonography to Evaluate Renal Malperfusion Syndromes in Aortic Dissection. Eastern Vascular Society, Boston, Massachusetts.
2009 Long-term results of eversion carotid endarterectomy. Peripheral Vascular Surgery Society Winter Meeting, Steamboat Springs, Colorado.
2009 Around the block with PAD. Department of Medicine Grand Rounds, Suburban Hospital, Bethesda, Maryland.
2009 Contemporary Results of Vascular Intervention in Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. Society for Vascular Surgery Annual Meeting, Denver, Colorado.
2009 GENTAC Registry Consortium (Genetically Triggered Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms and Cardiovascular Conditions)
Fellow, American College of Surgeons, 2006.
Johns Hopkins Surgical Residents Teaching Award, 2002.
Alpha Omega Alpha Medical School Honor Society, 1994.
Videos & Media +
About Abdominal Aortic and Thoracic Aneurysms
Abdominal & Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm Treatment: Open Surgery
Upcoming Events +
Contact & Locations +
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
600 N. Wolfe Street
Hospital Main Entrance - Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287
Appointment Phone: 410-955-5165
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
601 N. Caroline Street
Baltimore, MD 21287
Appointment Phone: 410-955-5165
- Surgery - Vascular Surgery