Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
James Hamilton Black, III, M.D.
Chief of the Division of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy
Associate Professor of Surgery
Expertise: Abdominal Aneurysms, Aneurysm, Abdominal Aortic (AAA), Aneurysms, Angioplasty, Aortic Aneurysms, Aortic Stent-Grafts/Endografts, Aortic Surgery, Arterial Aneurysm, Arteriovenous Fistulas (AVF), Claudication, Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), Endovascular Therapies, Extractional Atherectomy, General Vascular Surgery, Hypertension, Inherited Heart Diseases, Intermittent Claudication, Laser Atherectomy, Limb Salvage Surgery, Lower Extremity Angioplasty, Lower Extremity Revascularization, Lower Extremity Stenting, Marfan Syndrome, Mesenteric Arterial Insufficiency, Minimally Invasive Endovascular Aneurysm Repair, Non-Invasive Flow Studies (NIFS), Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD), Peripheral Vascular Disease, Popliteal Artery Aneurysms, Redo Lower Extremity Vascular Reconstruction, Renal Artery Disease, Stenting, Syncope, Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms, Thoracic Imaging, Thoracic Surgery, Vascular Disease , Vascular Surgery, Vascular Ultrasound, Vasculitis, Venous Disease, Venous Insufficiency, Visceral Stenting, Visceral Vessel Reconstruction ...read more
Research Interests: Molecular biology and development of rapid diagnostic assays for aortic dissection. Aortic wall homoeostasis and dysfunction leading to thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysms. ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-5165
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-5165
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Black joined the surgical faculty of the Johns Hopkins Hospital in 2004. He completed his General Vascular Surgery Fellowship in the Division of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery at the Massachusetts General Hospital and received his General Surgery Training in the Halsted General Surgery Training Program at the Johns Hopkins Hospital. In addition to his interest with open surgical reconstruction of carotid, extremity and complex aortic disease, he aggressively pursues the application of minimally invasive endovascular technologies for patients with aortic aneurysms and aortic dissection, occlusive disease of the carotid, renal, mesenteric, and lower extremity arteries. His research interests include the cellular and molecular events underpinning the development of aortic catastrophe in both atherosclerotic and connective tissue disorders, as well as diagnosis of aortic dissection and malperfusion syndromes....read more
- Chief of the Division of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy
- David Goldfarb, MD Research Professor of Surgery
- Attending Surgeon
- Associate Professor of Surgery
Departments / Divisions
- Surgery - Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine (1995)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / General Surgery (2002)
- Massachusetts General Hospital / Vascular Surgery (2004)
- American Board of Surgery / Surgery (2003, 2012)
- American Board of Surgery / Vascular Surgery (2005, 2025)
Research & Publications
Clinical Trial KeywordsAortic Dissection
Selected PublicationsEducational Publications:
1. Black, JH, Davison JK, Cambria RP. Regional hypothermia with epidural cooling for prevention of spinal cord ischemic complications after thoracoabdominal aortic surgery. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2003 Oct; 15(4):345-52. Review.
2. Black JH, Cambria RP. Aortic Dissection: Perspective for the Vascular/Endovascular Surgeon. For, 6th Edition of Rutherfords Textbook of Vascular Surgery. 2005.
3. Ridell JM, Black JH, Brewster DC, Dunn PF. Endovascular Aneurysm Repair. Int Anesthiol Clin. 2005 Winter, 43(1):79-91. Review.
4. Levine WC, Lee JJ, Black JH, Cambria RP, Davison JK. Thoracoabdominal aneurysm repair: anesthetic management. Int Anesthesiol Clin. 2005 Winter; 43 (1): 39-60. Review.
5. Black JH. Peripheral Arterial Disease, Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms, and Peripheral Aneurysms. Principles of Ambulatory Medicine, 7th edition, 2007. Editors: Fiebach NH, Kern DE, Thomas PA, and Ziegelstein RC.
5. Brooke B, Black JH. Clinical Vascular Examination. For, Image Guided Interventions. 2007. Editors: Murphy K, and Venbrux T, MD.
6. Matsen SA, Black, JH. Endovascular Repair of Thoracic Aortic Pathology: A New Approach to Aneurysm, Dissection, Ulceration and Traumatic Lesions. For, The Johns Hopkins Manual of Cardiothoracic Surgery (1st Edition). 2007 Editor: David Yuh, MD.
7. Black JH. Thoracoabdominal and Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms. For, Current Surgical Therapy, 10th ed. Editor: John L. Cameron, MD. 2008
8. Black, JH. Aneurysms caused by Connective Tissue Disorder. For, Rutherford's Textbook of Vascular Surgery, 7th Ed. Editor: Jack Cronenwett, MD and James Seeger, MD. 2009.
9. Black, JH, Arnaoutakis G. A Primer for Vascular Disease. For Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation. 2009.
Activities & Honors
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons, 2006
- Johns Hopkins Surgical Residents Teaching Award, 2002
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Medical School Honor Society, 1994
- American College of Surgeons, 1999
- American Medical Association, 1995
- Association of Academic Surgery, 2005
- Chesapeake Vascular Society, 2006
- Eastern Vascular Society, 2007
- Peripheral Vascular Surgery Society, 2006
- Society for Vascular Surgery, 2005
- Society for Vascular Ultrasound, 2008
- Southern Association for Vascular Surgery, 2008
Videos & Media
Abdominal Aortic and Thoracic Aneurysms | Q&A
Meet our Experts - Dr. James Black
Abdominal Aortic Surgery | Ron Rolett's Story
Fenestrated Endovascular Aortic Aneurysm Repair | Q&A
Lectures and Presentations
Aortic Dissection: Management in the Endovascular Era
Tumulty Post- graduate Course (01/01/2008)
Peripheral Vascular Manifestations of Loeys-Dietz Syndrome
Society for Vascular Surgery Annual Meeting , San Diego (01/01/2008)
Aneurysms Outside the Aorta
National Marfan Foundation Annual Meeting , Boston (01/01/2008)
Accuracy of Duplex Ultrasonography to Evaluate Renal Malperfusion Syndromes in Aortic Dissection
Eastern Vascular Society , Boston (01/01/2008)
Long-term results of eversion carotid endarterectomy
Peripheral Vascular Surgery Society Winter Meeting , Steamboat Springs (01/01/2009)
Around the block with PAD
Department of Medicine Grand Rounds , Bethesda (01/01/2009)
Contemporary Results of Vascular Intervention in Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome
Society for Vascular Surgery Annual Meeting , Denver (01/01/2009)
- GENTAC Registry Consortium (Genetically Triggered Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms and Cardiovascular Conditions) (01/01/2009)