Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Mohamed G Atta, M.B.B.Ch., M.D.
Medical Director, Fresenius Kidney Care Broadway Court
Associate Professor of Medicine
Languages: English, Arabic
Expertise: Chronic Kidney Disease, Glomerulonephritis, HIV Related Kidney Disease, Hypertension, Nephrology, Von Hippel-Lindau (VHL)
Research Interests: kidney diseases in patients with HIV infection
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-0670
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Mohamed G. Atta, MD, MPH, is Associate Professor of Medicine at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland, and Medical Director at Fresenius Kidney Care Broadway Street, Maryland. A graduate of Mansoura University School of Medicine in Egypt, he completed his internship and residency training in various locations including the Urology and Nephrology Center at Mansoura University, Cabrini Medical Center in New York, and Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Dr Atta received his MPH degree from Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in 2005.
Dr Atta is a member of the Health Disparity Committee at the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene in Maryland, the Scientific Council on Kidney of the American Heart Association, the International Society of Nephrology, and the American Society of Nephrology. Dr Atta has participated as principal investigator in several studies and serves as a peer reviewer for the Archives of Internal Medicine, American journal of Medicine, Kidney International, Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, American Journal of Kidney Diseases, Clinical Infectious Disease, and Journal of Infectious Diseases. He authored or co-authored numerous articles and abstracts published in Genomics, the Journal of Biological Chemistry, Clinical infectious disease, American journal of Medicine, and American journal of transplantation, the Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology , American Journal of Kidney disease, Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, and Kidney International, among others.
- Medical Director, Fresenius Kidney Care Broadway Court
- Director, Von Hippel-Lindau Clinical Care Center
- Associate Professor of Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- Faculty Of Medicine University Of Mansura (1986)
- MPH, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (2005)
- Mansoura University / Nephrology (1990)
- Cabrini Medical Center / Medicine (1994)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Nephrology (1997)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Nephrology (1996, 2006)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- John J. Mallee, Mohamed G. Atta, Victor Lorica, Jong S. Rim, H. Moo Kwon, Anthony D. Lucente, Yi Wang, Gerard T. Berry. The Structural Organization of the Human Na+/Myo-inositol Cotransporter (SLC5A3) Gene and Characterization of the Promoter. Genomics, v46, n3, 459-465, December 15, 1997.
- Jong S. Rim, Mohamed G. Atta, Stephen C. Dahl, Gerard T. Berry, Joseph S. Handler, H. Moo Kwon. Transcription of the Na+/Myo-inositol Cotransporter Gene is Regulated by Multiple Tonicity-Responsive Enhancers Spread over 50 kb in the 5'' Flanking Region. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 273 (32) 20615-20621, August 7, 1998.
- Mohamed G. Atta, Stephen C. Dahl, H. Moo Kwon, Joseph S. Handler. Tyrosine kinase inhibitors and immunosuppressants perturb the myo-inositol but no the betaine cotransporter in isotonic and hypertonic MDCK cells. Kidney international, v55, n3, 956-962, March 1999.
- Mohamed G. Atta, Joseph A. Eustace, Xiaoyan Song, Trish M. Perl, Paul J. Scheel, Jr. Outpatient vancomycin use and vancomycin-resistant enterococcal colonization in maintenance dialysis patients. Kidney international 2001 Feb; 59(2): 718-24.
- Michael J. Choi, Joseph A. Eustace, Luis F. Gimenez, Mohamed G. Atta, Paul J. Scheel, Jr., Renuka Sothinathan, William A. Briggs. Mycophenolate mofetil treatment for primary glomerular diseases. Kidney international 2002 Mar; 61(3): 1098-114.
- Mohamed G. Atta, J. Craig Longenecker, Derek M. Fine, Davinder S. Grover, Jean Wu, Lorraine C. Racusen, Paul J. Scheel, Jr., Ulrike M. Hamper. Sonography as a predictor of HIV associated Nephropathy. Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine 23: 603-610, May 2004.
- Derek M. Fine, Aravind Arepally, Lawrence Hofmann, Steven Mankowitz, Mohamed G. Atta. Transjugular kidney biopsy in the obese patients. Nephrology dialysis transplantation, 19(7):1798-802, July 2004.
- Mohamed G. Atta, Michael J. Choi, J. Craig Longenecker, Megan Haymart, Jean Wu, Nagapradeep Nagajothi, Lorraine C. Racusen, Paul J. Scheel, Jr., Frederick L. Brancati, Derek M. Fine. Nephrotic Range Proteinuria and CD4 Count as Non-invasive Indicators of HIV-Associated Nephropathy. American Journal of Medicine, Volume 118, Issue 11, Pages 1288.e21-1288.e26, November 2005.
- Mohamed G. Atta, Gregory M. Lucas, and Derek M. Fine. HIV-associated Nephropathy: Epidemiology, Pathogenesis, Diagnosis and Management. Expert Review of Anti-infective Therapy 6 (3): 365-371 June 2008.
- Mohamed G. Atta, Gilbert Deray, and Gregory M. Lucas. Antiretroviral Nephrotoxcities. Seminars in Nephrology 28(6):563-75, November 2008.
- Mohamed G. Atta, Kesha Baptiste-Roberts, Frederick L. Brancati, and Tiffany L. Gary. The natural course of microalbuminuria among African American with type 2 diabetes: A 3 year study. American Journal of Medicine, 122 (1): 62-72, January 2009.
- C. John Sperati, Nisha Aggarwal, Aravind Arepally, and Mohamed G. Atta. Fibromuscular dysplasia. Kidney International 75: 333–336, February 2009.
- Mohamed G. Atta, Derek M. Fine. Tenofovir Nephrotoxicity—The Disconnect Between Clinical Trials and Real-World Practice. The AIDS Reader. 19 (3), March 2009.
- Sayed Tabatabai, C. John Sperati, Mohamed G. Atta, Kashif Janjua, Christopher Roxbury, Gregory M. Lucas, and Derek M. Fine. Predictors of Complication after Percutaneous Ultrasound-Guided Kidney Biopsy in HIV-Infected Individuals: Possible Role of Hepatitis C and HIV coinfection. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology;4(11):1766-73, October 2009.
- Aastha Sethi and Mohamed G. Atta. Clinical and basic science advances in the treatment of HIV-1 and its associated kidney disease. Journal Minerva Urologica Enefrologica; 61(4):439-54, December 2009.
- Mohamed G. Atta. Diagnosis and Natural History of HIV-associated nephropathy (HIVAN). The journal Advances in Chronic Kidney Disease; 17, (1): 52-58, January 2010.
- Humes HD, Sobota JT, Ding F, Song JH, and the RAD Investigator Group. A selective cytopheretic inhibitory device to treat the immunological dysregulation of acute and chronic renal failure. Blood Purification; 29:183-190, 2010.
- Elizabeth George, Gregory M. Lucas, Girish N. Nadkarni, Derek M. Fine, Richard Moore and Mohamed G. Atta. Kidney function and the risk of cardiovascular events in HIV-1-infected patients. AIDS; 24 (3): 387–394 January 2010.
- Anna R. Hemnes, Devi Chittineni, Brad C. Astor, Paul M. Hassoun, and Mohamed G. Atta. Pulmonary hypertension is prevalent in catheter and arterio-venous access hemodialysis. Nephrology Reviews; 2:e3 2010.
- Shyam M. Parkhie, Derek M. Fine, Gregory M. Lucas, Mohamed G Atta. Characteristics of HIV patients with biopsy-proven acute interstitial nephritis. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, March 25, 2010.
Activities & Honors
- American Society of Nephrology
- Health Disparity Committee at the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene in Maryland
- International Society of Nephrology
- Scientific Council on Kidney of the American Heart Association