Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Noah Lechtzin, M.D., M.H.S.
Director, Adult Cystic Fibrosis Program
Associate Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Cystic Fibrosis, Pulmonary Disease and Critical Care Medicine
Research Interests: The metabolic complications in CF, including vitamin D deficiency, osteoporosis and testosterone deficiency; The impact of antibiotic resistant bacterial infections in CF patients ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-3467
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Noah Lechtzin is an associate professor of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He holds a joint appointment in epidemiology at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. His areas of clinical expertise include amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), cystic fibrosis, adult pulmonary disease and critical care medicine. Dr. Lechtzin serves as assistant director of the Adult Cystic Fibrosis Program.
Dr. Lechtzin graduated first in his medical school class at Temple University, then did his internship and residency in internal medicine at Johns Hopkins. He completed a fellowship in pulmonary and critical care medicine at Johns Hopkins and also received an M.H.A. from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
His research interests include the impact of antibiotic-resistant bacterial infections in cystic fibrosis (CF) patients and metabolic complications in CF, including vitamin D deficiency, osteoporosis and testosterone deficiency.
- Director, Adult Cystic Fibrosis Program
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- Associate Professor of Neurology
Departments / Divisions
- MD; Medicine, Temple University School of Medicine (1994)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Medicine (1997)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pulmonary Medicine (2001)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Critical Care Medicine (2001)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1997)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Pulmonary Disease (2000)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Yarmus L, Akulian J, Gilbert C, Feller-Kopman D, Lee HJ, Zarogoulidis P, Lechtzin N, Ali SZ, Sathiyamoorthy V. Optimizing Endobronchial Ultrasound for Molecular Analysis: How Many Passes Are Needed? Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2013 Sep 30. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24079724
- Lechtzin N, West N, Allgood S, Wilhelm E, Khan U, Mayer-Hamblett N, Aitken ML, Ramsey BW, Boyle MP, Mogayzel PJ Jr, Goss CH. Rationale and design of a randomized trial of home electronic symptom and lung function monitoring to detect cystic fibrosis pulmonary exacerbations: The early intervention in cystic fibrosis exacerbation (eICE) trial. Contemp Clin Trials. 2013 Nov;36(2):460-9. doi: 10.1016/j.cct.2013.09.004. Epub 2013 Sep 19. PMID: 24055998
- ALSUntangled Group, Fournier C, Bedlack B, Hardiman O, Heiman-Patterson T, Gutmann L, Bromberg M, Ostrow L, Carter G, Kabashi E, Bertorini T, Mozaffar T, Andersen P, Dietz J, Gamez J, Dimachkie M, Wang Y, Wicks P, Heywood J, Novella S, Rowland LP, Pioro E, Kinsley L, Mitchell K, Glass J, Sathornsumetee S, Kwiecinski H, Baker J, Atassi N, Forshew D, Ravits J, Conwit R, Jackson C, Sherman A, Dalton K, Tindall K, Gonzalez G, Robertson J, Phillips L, Benatar M, Sorenson E, Shoesmith C, Nash S, Maragakis N, Moore D, Caress J, Boylan K, Armon C, Grosso M, Gerecke B, Wymer J, Oskarsson B, Bowser R, Drory V, Shefner J, Lechtzin N, Leitner M, Miller R, Mitsumoto H, Levine T, Russell J, Sharma K, Saperstein D, McClusky L, MacGowan D, Licht J, Verma A, Strong M, Lomen-Hoerth C, Tandan R, Rivner M, Kolb S, Polak M, Rudnicki S, Kittrell P, Quereshi M, Sachs G, Pattee G, Weiss M, Kissel J, Goldstein J, Rothstein J, Pastula D, Gleb L, Ogino M, Rosenfeld J, Carmi E, Oster C, Barkhaus P, Valor E. ALS Untangled No. 20: the Deanna protocol. Amyotroph Lateral Scler Frontotemporal Degener. 2013 May;14(4):319-23. doi: 10.3109/21678421.2013.788405. Epub 2013 May 2. Review. No abstract available. PMID: 23638638
- Yarmus LB, Akulian J, Lechtzin N, Yasin F, Kamdar B, Ernst A, Ost DE, Ray C, Greenhill SR, Jimenez CA, Filner J, Feller-Kopman D; Comparison of 21-gauge and 22-gauge aspiration needle in endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration: results of the American College of Chest Physicians Quality Improvement Registry, Education, and Evaluation Registry. American College of Chest Physicians Quality Improvement Registry, Education, and Evaluation (AQuIRE) Participants. Chest. 2013 Apr;143(4):1036-43. doi: 10.1378/chest.12-1205. PMID: 23632441
- Feller-Kopman DJ, Brigham E, Lechtzin N, Gilbert C, Akulian J, Yarmus L. Training perspective: the impact of starting an endobronchial ultrasound program at a major academic center on fellows training of transbronchial needle aspiration. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2013 Apr;10(2):127-30. doi: 10.1513/AnnalsATS.201208-052OC. PMID: 23607841
- Lechtzin N, Horton MR. Author reply: To PMID 22986377. Ann Intern Med. 2013 Mar 19;158(6):498-9. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-158-6-201303190-00016. No abstract available. PMID: 23553005
- Lechtzin N, Hilliard ME, Horton MR. Validation of the Cough Quality-of-Life Questionnaire in patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Chest. 2013 Jun;143(6):1745-9. doi: 10.1378/chest.12-2870. PMID: 23519393
- Yarmus L, Gilbert C, Lechtzin N, Imad M, Ernst A, Feller-Kopman D. Safety and feasibility of interventional pulmonologists performing bedside percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy tube placement. Chest. 2013 Aug;144(2):436-40. doi: 10.1378/chest.12-2550. PMID: 23392239
- Shehata ML, Harouni AA, Skrok J, Basha TA, Boyce D, Lechtzin N, Mathai SC, Girgis R, Osman NF, Lima JA, Bluemke DA, Hassoun PM, Vogel-Claussen J. Regional and global biventricular function in pulmonary arterial hypertension: a cardiac MR imaging study. Radiology. 2013 Jan;266(1):114-22. doi: 10.1148/radiol.12111599. Epub 2012 Nov 14. PMID: 23151825
- Akulian JA, Pipeling MR, John ER, Orens JB, Lechtzin N, McDyer JF. High-quality CMV-specific CD4+ memory is enriched in the lung allograft and is associated with mucosal viral control. Am J Transplant. 2013 Jan;13(1):146-56. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-6143.2012.04282.x. Epub 2012 Sep 27. PMID: 23016698