Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Mario Alfredo Eisenberger, M.D.
R. Dale Hughes Professor of Oncology and Urology
Professor of Oncology
Languages: English, German, Portuguese, Spanish
Expertise: Bladder Cancer, Clinical Trials, Kidney Cancer, Medical Oncology, Prostate Cancer, Testicular Cancer, Urological Oncology
Research Interests: Urological oncology; Testicular cancer; Prostate cancer; Medical oncology; Kidney cancer; General internal medicine; Bladder cancer
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-8964
401 N. Broadway
Baltimore, MD 21231 map
Johns Hopkins Medicine - Green Spring Station
Appointment Phone: 410-583-2970
10755 Falls Road
Lutherville, MD 21093 map
Sibley Memorial Hospital
Appointment Phone: 202-660-6500
5255 Loughboro Road NW
Washington, DC 20016 map
Dr. Mario A. Eisenberger is a medical oncologist at Sibley Memorial Hospital, as well as a professor of urology and oncology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He is board certified in internal medicine and medical oncology. He practices out of Sibley Memorial Hospital in Washington, D.C., Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center in Baltimore, Md. and Johns Hopkins Medicine - Green Spring Station in Lutherville, Md.
Dr. Eisenberger has an expertise in cancers of the bladder, kidney, prostate and testicles.
Dr. Eisenberger earned his medical degree from Federal University of Rio de Janeiro. He completed a residency in internal medicine at Michael Reese Hospital and Medical Center, followed by a hematology fellowship. Dr. Eisenberger also completed a fellowship in medical oncology at Jackson Memorial Hospital. He was previously a senior investigator for the Cancer Therapy Evaluation Program of the National Cancer Institute and chief of oncology at the Baltimore Veterans Administration Hospital. Dr. Dunne has also held faculty appointments at the University of Miami and the University of Maryland.
Dr. Eisenberger has been repeatedly named one of America’s Top Doctors and one of America’s Top Doctors for Cancer by Castle Connolly. He is a member of the American Association of Cancer Research, the National Prostate Cancer Education Council and the International Task Force of the American Society of Clinical Oncology.
Dr. Eisenberger has contributed to numerous clinical trials, publications and presentations. He has presented on the systemic treatment of prostate cancer for the President’s Cancer Panel and was a participant in the World Health Organization international panel to update directives and standardize methodology of clinical trials in advanced prostate cancer. Dr. Eisenberger has also won the Clinical Investigator Award by the Prostate Cancer Foundation.
- R. Dale Hughes Professor of Oncology and Urology
- Professor of Oncology
- Professor of Urology
Departments / Divisions
- MD, Faculdade De Medicina Centro De Ciencas (1972)
- Michael Reese Hospital and Medical Center / Internal Medicine (1975)
- Michael Reese Hospital and Medical Center / Hematology (1976)
- Jackson Memorial Hospital / Medical Oncology (1978)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1976)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Medical Oncology (1979)
Research & Publications
Clinical Trial Keywordsprostate cancer
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Peer A, Gottfried M, Sinibaldi V, Carducci MA, Eisenberger MA, Sella A, Leibowitz-Amit R, Berger R, Keizman D. "Comparison of abiraterone acetate versus ketoconazole in patients with metastatic castration resistant prostate cancer refractory to docetaxel." Prostate. 2013 Dec 11. doi: 10.1002/pros.22765. [Epub ahead of print].
- Keizman D, Gottfried M, Ish-Shalom M, Maimon N, Peer A, Neumann A, Hammers H, Eisenberger MA, Sinibaldi V, Pili R, Hayat H, Kovel S, Sella A, Boursi B, Weitzen R, Mermershtain W, Rouvinov K, Berger R, Carducci MA. "Active Smoking May Negatively Affect Response Rate, Progression-Free Survival, and Overall Survival of Patients With Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma Treated With Sunitinib." Oncologist. 2013 Dec 5. [Epub ahead of print].
- Paller CJ, Antonarakis ES, Eisenberger MA, Carducci MA. "Management of patients with biochemical recurrence after local therapy for prostate cancer." Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2013 Dec;27(6):1205-19, viii. doi: 10.1016/j.hoc.2013.08.005. Epub 2013 Sep 18.
- Suzman DL, Eisenberger MA. "Determining the Optimal Treatment for Metastatic Castration-resistant Prostate Cancer: Age Should Not Be a Factor." Eur Urol. 2013 Oct 16. pii: S0302-2838(13)01075-0. doi: 10.1016/j.eururo.2013.10.002. [Epub ahead of print]
- Pond GR, Sonpavde G, de Wit R, Eisenberger MA, Tannock IF, Armstrong AJ. ‘The prognostic importance of metastatic site in men with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer." Eur Urol. 2014 Jan;65(1):3-6. doi: 10.1016/j.eururo.2013.09.024. Epub 2013 Oct 5.
Activities & Honors
- Clinical Investigator Award, Prostate Cancer Foundation, 2004
- Plenary Presentation, American Society of Clinical Oncology, New Orleans, LA, 2004
- Listed in Best Doctors of America, 2000 - 2006
- R. Dale Hughes Distinguished Professor of Oncology, The Johns Hopkins University, 2002
- Plenary Presentation, American Society of Clinical Oncology, Denver CO, 1997
- Who's Who in the World, 1995
- Participant in World Health Organization international panel to update directives and standardize methodology of clinical trials in advanced prostate cancer, 1995
- Selected to present on the systemic treatment of prostate cancer for the President's Cancer Panel, 1992
- Selected as member of Prostate Cancer Education Council, 1989
- Participant in NIH Consensus Conference in Prostate Cancer, 1987
- American Association of Cancer Research
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- National Prostate Cancer Education Council