Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Anthony Paul Tufaro, D.D.S., M.D.
Director, Head & Neck Program for General Surgery
Associate Professor of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Expertise: Acute Coronary Care, Basal Cell Carcinoma, Craniomaxillofacial Trauma and Reconstruction, Cutaneous Surgery, Endocrine Surgery, Graft-versus-Host Disease, Head and Neck Cancers, Head and Neck Conditions, Laryngeal Cancer, Lymphoma, Melanoma, Merkel Cell Carcinoma, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Pharynx Cancer, Plastic Surgery, Reconstruction After Skin Cancer, Salivary Glands, Skin Cancer, Skin Cancer Surgery, Squameous Cell Carcinoma, Tongue Cancer ...read more
Research Interests: Cervical metastasis of oral cancer; Surgical management of sarcoma; Use of bioengineered skin in complex wound reconstruction; The comprehensive management of head and neck tumors; Tumor markers to identify patients with potentially aggressive tumors ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 443-997-9466
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 443-997-9466
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Anthony P. Tufaro is an associate professor of plastic and reconstructive surgery and an associate professor of oncology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Dr. Tufaro is the only surgeon in the country who is board certified in plastic and reconstructive surgery, oral and maxillofacial surgery and fellowship trained in surgical oncology, head and neck surgery.
His areas of clinical expertise include head and neck cancers and craniomaxillofacial trauma and reconstruction. He has accomplished research on the problem of tumor initiation and progression in immunocompromised patients.
Dr. Tufaro holds a D.D.S. from New York University College of Dentistry and an M.D. from Hahnemann University School of Medicine. He completed residencies in oral and maxillofacial surgery at the Nassau County Medical Center and in general surgery at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He also completed fellowships in head and neck surgery at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center and plastic and reconstructive surgery at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
He is on the editorial board of the Annals of Surgical Oncology and the Journal of Craniofacial Trauma & Reconstuction, and is a founding member of the Johns Hopkins Melanoma Program. He is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and the Society of Surgical Oncology, and is a member of numerous professional organizations, including the American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and the American Association of Plastic Surgeons.
- Director, Head & Neck Program for General Surgery
- Plastic Surgery Representative, Melanoma Multidisciplinary Group
- Co-director, Vascular Malformations Program
- Associate Professor of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Associate Professor of Oncology
Centers & Institutes
- DDS, New York University College of Dentistry (1979)
- MD, Hahnemann University School of Medicine (1993)
- Nassau County Medical Center / Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (1984)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / General Surgery (1995)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (1997)
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (1998)
- American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery / Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery (1987)
- American Board of Plastic Surgery / Plastic Surgery (2000, 2010)
Research & Publications
Dr. Tufaro’s research interests include the cervical metastasis of oral cancer, the surgical management of sarcoma, the use of bioengineered skin in complex wound reconstruction and the comprehensive management of head and neck tumors.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Five-level cervical corpectomy for neurofibromatosis-associated spinal deformity: case report. Parker SL, Wolinsky JP, Tufaro AP, Gokaslan ZL, Witham TF. Eur Spine J. 2014 Nov 22.
Evidence-based medicine versus experience-based medicine in plastic surgery: The Role Of Postoperative Antibiotics In Mandible Fractures - A Systematic Review of the Literature and International Survey. Shridharani SM, Berli J, Manson PN, Tufaro AP, Rodriguez ED. Ann Plast Surg. 2014 Mar 28.
Differential expression of degradome components in cutaneous squamous cell carcinomas. Prasad NB, Fischer AC, Chuang AY, Wright JM, Yang T, Tsai HL, Westra WH, Liegeois NJ, Hess AD, Tufaro AP. Mod Pathol. 2014 Jul;27(7):945-57. doi: 10.1038/modpathol.2013.217. Epub 2013 Dec 20.
Lymphedema.Wang HD, Shridharani SM, Tufaro AP. Eplasty. 2013;13:ic24. Epub 2013 Jan 29.
A systematic review of acelluar dermal matrices in head and neck reconstruction. Shridharani SM, Tufaro AP. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012 Nov;130(5 Suppl 2):35S-43S. doi: 10.1097/PRS.0b013e31825eff7a.
Molecular markers in cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma. Tufaro AP, Chuang JC, Prasad N, Chuang A, Chuang TC, Fischer AC. Int J Surg Oncol. 2011;2011:231475. doi: 10.1155/2011/231475. Epub 2011 Aug 9.
Reconstruction of the inferior alveolar nerve with bioabsorbable polyglycolic acid nerve conduits.Mundinger GS, Prucz RB, Rozen SM, Tufaro AP. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012 Jan;129(1):110e-117e. doi: 10.1097/PRS.0b013e3182362a87.
Activities & Honors
- American Association of Plastic Surgeons
- American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- National Board of Medical Examiners
- Society of Surgical Oncology
- Editorial Board, Annals of Surgical Oncology
- Editorial Board, Journal of Craniofacial Trauma and Reconstruction
- Editorial Board, E-Plasty: The Online Plastic Surgery Journal
- Representative for Plastic, Reconstructive and Maxillofacial Surgery to the Quality Improvement Committee Department of General Surgery, The Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Representative for Medical School Counci, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
- Representative for the Department of Plastic Surgery, Faculty Senate
- Representative for the Department of Surgery, Executive Operating Room Committees