I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Zsolt Szabo, M.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Languages: English, German, Hungarian, Serbocroatian
Expertise: Diagnostic Radiology
Research Interests: Positron Emission Tomography imaging of angiotensin and endothelin receptors; Angiotensin subtype AT1 receptors role in myocardial remodeling, transplant nephropathy and renovascular hypertension; Endothelin A and angiotensin subtype AT1 receptors roles in cancer; Central serotonin transporters role in alcoholism, Parkinsons disease and brain injury; PET imaging of central and peripheral molecular recognition sites, including angiotensin, endothelin and histamine receptors and serotonin and dopamine transporters; Positron emission tomography (PET) ...read more
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
1800 Orleans St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-0100
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Zsolt Szabo, M.D., Ph.D., is a Professor in the Johns Hopkins Medicine Division of Nuclear Medicine within the Department of Radiology and Radiological Science.
A general radiologist, Dr. Szabo specializes in nuclear medicine— in particular, positron emission tomography (PET) imaging— both clinically and in his research activities. He also serves as the Division of Nuclear Medicine’s educational coordinator.
Dr. Szabo earned both a medical degree (with a focus on oncology and radiation therapy) and a master’s degree in nuclear medicine at Serbia’s University of Belgrade.
He earned a medical degree at Germany’s University of Düsseldorf Medical School, as well as a doctoral degree in nuclear science at the Julich Section of Dusseldorf University.
Dr. Szabo served as a nuclear-medicine attending physician before completing a research fellowship at Johns Hopkins and joining the faculty in 1992.
Among his many accomplishments at Hopkins, Dr. Szabo helped to develop PET as a way to image neuroreceptors and served as the Division of Nuclear Medicine’s acting director for two years.
He has presented more than 60 invited lectures, served as principal investigator for a number of extramural grant projects, mentored scores of graduate students and served on several NIH review panels.
A co-author of the seminal textbook Principles of Nuclear Medicine, Dr. Szabo has authored some 60 peer-reviewed journal articles—primarily about PET applications to cardiovascular conditions and neurophysiology—and about 40 textbook chapters. He also serves as a reviewer for journals that include The Journal of Nuclear Medicine.
- Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
- Professor of Oncology
Departments / Divisions
- MD, Medizinische Fakultat Univ Of Dusseldorf (1973)
- Cardiologic Rehabilitation Clinic / Internal Medicine (1977)
- University of Belgrade School of Medicine Medicinski Fakultet / Radiation Oncology (1977)
- Klinik fur Nukleormedizin der Kliniken der Stadt Wuppertal / Nuclear Medicine (1982)
- University of Belgrade School of Medicine Medicinski Fakultet (1976)
- American Board of Nuclear Medicine / Nuclear Medicine (1992)
Research & Publications
Dr. Szabo’s research focuses primarily on the applications of positron emission tomography (PET) imaging in cardiovascular medicine, neurophysiology— central and peripheral molecular recognition sites in particular—and oncology.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Forsell C, Aberg J, Szabó Z. "Preoperative Topical Hypothermia used in Prolonged Severe Lower Limb Ischemia to Avoid Ischemic Damage - The First Clinical Experience." Int J Biomed Sci. 2013 Sep;9(3):181-4.
- Krzemieniecki K, Sevelda P, Erdkamp F, Smakal M, Schwenkglenks M, Puertas J, Trojan A, Szabo Z, Bendall K, Maenpaa J. "Neutropenia management and granulocyte colony-stimulating factor use in patients with solid tumours receiving myelotoxic chemotherapy-findings from clinical practice." Support Care Cancer. 2013 Oct 24. [Epub ahead of print]
- Umeh CC, Szabo Z, Pontone GM, Mari Z. "Dopamine transporter imaging in psychogenic parkinsonism and neurodegenerative parkinsonism with psychogenic overlay: a report of three cases." Tremor Other Hyperkinet Mov (N Y). 2013 Sep 10;3. doi:pii: tre-03-188-4324-2.
- Gulaldi NC, Xia J, Feng T, Hong K, Mathews WB, Ruben D, Kamel IR, Tsui BM, Szabo Z. "Modeling of the renal kinetics of the AT1 receptor specific PET radioligand [11C]KR31173." Biomed Res Int. 2013;2013:835859. doi: 10.1155/2013/835859. Epub 2013 Sep 8.
- Györffy B, Kovács Z, Gulyássy P, Simor A, Völgyi K, Orbán G, Baracskay P, Szabó Z, Janáky T, Dobolyi A, Juhász G, Czurkó A, Kékesi KA. "Brain protein expression changes in WAG/Rij rats, a genetic rat model of absence epilepsy after peripheral lipopolysaccharide treatment." Brain Behav Immun. 2013 Sep 8. doi:pii: S0889-1591(13)00450-9. 10.1016/j.bbi.2013.09.001.
Activities & Honors
- American Society of Nephrology
- European Association of Nuclear Medicine
- Society of Nuclear Medicine