Research & Publications +
Peer-reviewed scientific articles
1. Guarda AS, Treasure J, Robertson MM. Eating Disorders and Gilles de la Tourettes Syndrome: a case series of comorbidity and associated obsessive compulsive symptomatology. CNS Spectrums, 1999, 4(2), 77-86.
2. Haug NA, Heinberg LJ, Guarda AS. Cigarette smoking and its relationship to other substance use among eating disordered inpatients. Eating and Weight Disorders, 2001, 6,130-139.
3. Barbin JM, Williamson DA, Steuart TM, Reas DL, Thaw JM, Guarda AS. Psychological adjustment in the children of mothers with a history of eating disorders. Eating and Weight Disorders, 2002, 7(1), 32-38.
4. Heinberg LJ, Guarda AS, Haug NA, Yacono Freeman LM, Ambrose D. Clinical course and short-term outcome of hospitalized adolescents with eating disorders: the success of combining adolescent and adults on an eating disorders unit. Eating and Weight Disorders, 2003, 8(4), 326-331.
7. Thompson JK, van den Berg P, Roehrig M, Guarda AS, Heinberg LF. The Sociocultural Attitudes Towards Appearance Scale-3 (SATAQ-3): development and validation. International Journal of Eating Disorders. 2004, 35(3), 293-304.
6. Buchowski KP, Pardo J, Ringel R, Guarda AS. Inducible syncope in anorexia nervosa: two case reports. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 2004, 35(3), 359-362
7. Guarda AS, Coughlin JW, Cummings M, Marinilli AS, Haug NA, Boucher M, Heinberg LF. Chewing and spitting in eating disorders and its relationship to binge eating. Eating Behaviors: An International Journal, 2004, 5, 231-239.
8. Guarda AS, Redgrave GW. Eating Disorders: Detection, assessment, and treatment in primary care. Advanced Studies in Medicine, 2004, 4(9), 468-475.
9. Bencherif B, Guarda AS, Colantuoni C, Ravert HT, Dannals RF, Frost JJ. Regional mu opioid receptor binding in insular cortex is decreased in bulimia nervosa and is inversely correlated with fasting behavior. Journal of Nuclear Medicine, 2005, 46(8), 1349-1351.
10. Marinilli A, Guarda AS, Heinberg LJ, DiClemente CC. Development of the Eating Disorder Recovery Self-Efficacy Questionnaire. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 2006, Jul;39(5):376-84.
11. Redgrave GW, Coughlin JW, Heinberg LJ, Guarda AS. First-degree relative history of alcoholism in eating disorder inpatients: relationship to eating and substance use psychopathology. Eating Behaviors, 2007, Jan;8(1):15-22.
12. Guarda AS, Marinilli Pinto A, Couglin J, Hussain S, Haug NA, Heinberg LJ. Perceived coercion and change in perceived need for admission in hospitalized eating disorder patients. Am J Psychiatry, 2007; Jan;164(1):108114.
13. Kinzig KP, Coughlin JW, Redgrave GW, Moran TH, Guarda AS. Insulin, glucose and pancreatic polypeptide responses to a test meal in restricting type anorexia nervosa before and after weight restoration. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2007 May;292(5):
14. Marinilli Pinto A, Heinberg LJ, Coughlin JW, Fava JL, Guarda AS. The Eating Disorder Recovery Self-Efficacy Questionnaire (EDRSQ): Change with treatment and prediction of outcome. Eating Behaviors, 2008, 9(2), 143-53.
15. Coughlin JW, Edwards R, Buenaver L, Redgrave G, Guarda AS, Haythornthwaite J. Pain, catastrophizing, and depressive symptomatology in eating disorders. Clin J Pain, 2008;24(5):406-414.
16. Heinberg LJ, Coughlin JW, Marinilli-Pinto AS, Haug N, Brode C, Guarda AS. Validation and predictive utility of the Sociocultural AttitudesTowards Appearance Questionnaire for Eating Disorders (SATAQ-ED): Internalization of sociocultural ideals predicts weight gain. Body Image: An International Journal of Research, 2008 Sep;5(3):279-90.
17. Redgrave GW, Bakker A, Bello NT, Caffo BS, Coughlin JW, Guarda AS, McEntee JE, Pekar JJ, Reinblatt SP, Verduzco G, Moran TH. Differential Brain Activation in Anorexia Nervosa to Fat and Thin Words During a Stroop Task. Neuroreport, 2008 Aug 6;19(12):1181-5.
20. Bello NT, Guarda AS, Terrillion CE, Redgrave GW, Coughlin JW, Moran TH. Repeated binge access to a palatable food alters feeding behavior, hormone profile, and hindbrain c-Fos responses to a test meal in adult male rats. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2009 Sep;297(3):R622-31.
21. Coughlin JW, Edwards RR, Redgrave GW, Guarda AS. Pain Severity in Eating Disorders Predicts Longer Inpatient Hospitalization. International Journal of Eating Disorders 2010 Dec;43:737742.
22. Bello NT, Coughlin JW, Redgrave GW, Moran TH, Guarda AS. Oral sensory and cephalic hormonal responses to fat and non-fat liquids in bulimia nervosa." Physiology & Behavior 2010 Apr 19;99(5):611-7. Epub 2010 Feb 4.
23. Mroczkowski MM, Redgrave GW, Miller NR, McCoy AN, Guarda AS. Reversible Vision Loss Secondary to Malnutrition in a Woman with Severe Anorexia Nervosa, Purging Type and Alcohol Abuse. Int J Eat Disord. 2010 Feb 22. [Epub ahead of print]
24. Coughlin JW, Schreyer CC, Sarwer DB, Heinberg LJ, Redgrave GW, Guarda AS. Cosmetic surgery in inpatients with eating disorders: Attitudes and experience. Body Image. 2012 Jan;9(1):180-3. Epub 2011 Nov 26. PMID: 22119760.
25. Bello NT, Coughlin JW, Redgrave GW, Ladenheim EE, Moran TH, Guarda AS. Dietary conditions and highly palatable food access alter rat cannabinoid receptor expression and binding density. Physiol Behav. 2012 Feb 1;105(3):720-6. Epub 2011 Oct 6.PMID: 22005165.