Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Sonye Karen Danoff, M.D., Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Autoimmune Diseases, Autoimmune Lung Disease, Interstitial Lung Disease, Myositis, Pulmonary Disease and Critical Care Medicine
Research Interests: Rheumatoid arthritis; Interstitial lung disease; Clinical and translational research in pulmonary fibrosis
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-5864
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-3467
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
1830 E. Monument Street
1830 Building 5th Floor Pulmonary
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Danoff is an Assistant Professor in the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine and Co-Director of the Hopkins Interstitial Lung Disease Clinic. She is a specialist in diseases causing fibrosis or scarring in the lung, particularly those associated with autoimmune diseases including myositis.
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- MD PhD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1993)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Medicine (1996)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine (2000)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Pulmonary Disease (1999, 2010)
Research & Publications
Her research focuses on basic and translational studies of lung fibrosis. She was awarded the 2007 American Thoracic Society/Coalition for Pulmonary Fibrosis Research Award to support her research studies.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Danoff SK, Schonhoft EH. Role of support measures and palliative care. Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2013 Sep;19(5):480-4. doi: 10.1097/MCP.0b013e328363f4cb. PMID: 23880699
- Stojan G, Baer AN, Danoff SK. Pulmonary manifestations of Sjögren's syndrome. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 2013 Aug;13(4):354-60. Review. PMID: 23797265
- Giles JT, Danoff SK, Sokolove J, Wagner CA, Winchester R, Pappas DA, Siegelman S, Connors G, Robinson WH, Bathon JM. Association of fine specificity and repertoire expansion of anticitrullinated peptide antibodies with rheumatoid arthritis associated interstitial lung disease. Ann Rheum Dis. 2013 May 28. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 23716070
- Park JK, Gelber AC, George M, Danoff SK, Qubti MA, Christopher-Stine L. Pulmonary impairment, not muscle injury, is associated with elevated ESR in the idiopathic inflammatory myopathies. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2013 Jul;52(7):1336-8. doi: 10.1093/rheumatology/ket162. Epub 2013 Apr 24. No abstract available. PMID: 23620561
- Hall JC, Casciola-Rosen L, Samedy LA, Werner J, Owoyemi K, Danoff SK, Christopher-Stine L. Anti-melanoma differentiation-associated protein 5-associated dermatomyositis: expanding the clinical spectrum. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2013 Aug;65(8):1307-15. doi: 10.1002/acr.21992. PMID: 23436757
- Garibaldi BT, Illei P, Danoff SK. Bronchiolitis. Immunol Allergy Clin North Am. 2012 Nov;32(4):601-19. doi: 10.1016/j.iac.2012.08.002. Epub 2012 Sep 14. Review. PMID: 23102068
- Horton MR, Santopietro V, Mathew L, Horton KM, Polito AJ, Liu MC, Danoff SK, Lechtzin N. Thalidomide for the treatment of cough in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med. 2012 Sep 18;157(6):398-406. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-157-6-201209180-00003. PMID: 22986377
- Ghatol A, Ruhl AP, Danoff SK. Exacerbations in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis triggered by pulmonary and nonpulmonary surgery: a case series and comprehensive review of the literature. Lung. 2012 Aug;190(4):373-80. doi: 10.1007/s00408-012-9389-5. Epub 2012 Apr 29. Review. PMID: 22543997
- Danoff SK, Casciola-Rosen L. The lung as a possible target for the immune reaction in myositis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2011 Jul 13;13(4):230. doi: 10.1186/ar3347. Review. PMID: 21787440