I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Michael Anthony Carducci, M.D.
AEGON Professor of Prostate Cancer Research
Professor of Oncology
Expertise: Bladder Cancer, Clinical Trials, Kidney Cancer, Medical Oncology , Oncology, Pain and Palliative Care - Oncology, Prostate Cancer, Testicular Cancer, Urological Oncology, Urology ...read more
Research Interests: Development and Evaluation of New Therapies for Urologic Cancers
Request an Appointment
Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-8964
401 N. Broadway
Baltimore, MD 21231 map
Sibley Memorial Hospital
Appointment Phone: 202-660-6500
5255 Loughboro Road NW
Washington, DC 20016 map
Dr. Michael A. Carducci is a medical oncologist affiliated with Sibley Memorial Hospital. He is the AEGON Professor in Prostate Cancer Research at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, as well as the Associate Cancer Center Director for Clinical Research within the Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center and the Regional Research Director for the National Capital Region for the Kimmel Cancer Center. Dr. Carducci is board certified in internal medicine and medical oncology.
Dr. Carducci has an expertise in various types of cancer including bladder, kidney, prostate and testicular. He also has an expertise in clinical trials, pain and palliative care for oncology, urological oncology, urology and medical oncology.
A graduate of Georgetown University, Dr. Carducci received his medical degree with high distinction from Wayne State University School of Medicine. He completed an internal medicine internship, residency and chief residency at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center. He went on to complete medical oncology and research fellowships at the Johns Hopkins Oncology Center at Johns Hopkins Hospital.
A fellow of the American College of Physicians and a fellow of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, Dr. Carducci has received peer-reviewed funding for his laboratory and clinical research from the National Cancer Institute, Department of Defense, and the Prostate Cancer Foundation. Mentorship of students, fellows, and junior faculty has been another focus of Dr. Carducci’s career in medicine, receiving numerous teaching awards. Dr. Carducci received the Michaele Christian Award and Lectureship for Oncology Drug Development at the National Cancer Institute in 2011. He is the Chair of the Genitourinary Oncology Committee of ECOG-ACRIN and an active member of the GU Steering Committee for the NCI. Dr. Carducci is Co-Chair of the Investigational Drug Steering Committee for the NCI and an Associate Editor for GU Cancers for the Journal of Clinical Oncology.
A translational researcher, Dr. Carducci directs a small laboratory program focused on bringing small molecules into early phase clinical trials. Overall, his laboratory and clinical research focus is on the development and evaluation of new therapies for urologic cancers. Incorporation of pharmacodynamics, novel biomarkers, and targeted imaging has been key elements of many of the trials led by Dr. Carducci. To complete these studies, Dr. Carducci facilitates and brings together a multidisciplinary team from urologists, radiation oncologists, pathologists, biostatisticians, and medical oncologists. Other areas of interest include palliative and end of life care, survivorship, and use of patient reported outcomes in clinical research and care.
- AEGON Professor of Prostate Cancer Research
- Co-Director, Prostate Cancer/GU Oncology Program
- Co-Director, Chemical Therapeutics
- Professor of Oncology
- Professor of Urology
Departments / Divisions
- MD, Wayne State University School Of Medicine (1988)
- University of Colorado Denver and Health Sciences / Internal Medicine (1992)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Oncology (1995)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1991, 2011)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Medical Oncology (1995, 2017)
Research & Publications
Dr. Carducci's research focus is on the development and evaluation of new therapies for genitourinary cancers, specifically prostate and renal cancers. Areas of particular interest are bone-targeted therapies, epigenetic strategies, as well as general early phase drug development leading to first-in-human clinical trials.
Clinical Trial KeywordsPhase I, Prostate Cancer, Kidney Cancer
- Armstrong AJ, Netto GJ, Rudek MA, Halabi S, Wood DP, Creel PA, Mundy K, Davis SL, Wang T, Albadine R, Schultz L, Partin AW, Jimeno A, Fedor H, Febbo PG, George DJ, Gurganus R, De Marzo AM, Carducci MA. "A pharmacodynamic study of rapamycin in men with intermediate- to high-risk localized prostate cancer." Clin Cancer Res. 2010 Jun 1;16(11):3057-3066.
- Cetin K, Beebe-Dimmer JL, Fryzek JP, Markus RE, Carducci MA. "Recent time trends in the epidemiology of stage IV prostate cancer in the United States: analysis of data from the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Program." Urology. 2010 Jun;75(6):1396-1404.
- DiPaola RS, Chen YH, Stein M, Vaughn D, Patrick-Miller L, Carducci M, Roth B, White E, Wilding G. "A randomized phase II trial of mitoxantrone, estramustine and vinorelbine or bcl-2 modulation with 13-cis retinoic acid, interferon and paclitaxel in patients with metastatic castrate-resistant prostate cancer: ECOG 3899." J Transl Med. 2010;8:20.
- Franke RM, Carducci MA, Rudek MA, Baker SD, Sparreboom A. "Castration-dependent pharmacokinetics of docetaxel in patients with prostate cancer." J Clin Oncol. 2010 Oct 20;28(30):4562-4567.
- Kachhap SK, Rosmus N, Collis SJ, Kortenhorst MS, Wissing MD, Hedayati M, Shabbeer S, Mendonca J, Deangelis J, Marchionni L, Lin J, Hoti N, Nortier JW, DeWeese TL, Hammers H, Carducci, MA. "Downregulation of homologous recombination DNA repair genes by HDAC inhibition in prostate cancer is mediated through the E2F1 transcription factor." PLoS One. 2010;5(6):e11208.
Activities & Honors
- Michaele Christian Oncology Development Award, 2011
- Faculty Teacher of the Year, Brady Urological Institute, 2007
- Best Doctors in America, 2006
- Director’s Teaching Award for Clinical Science, Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center, 2005
- Appel Research Program in Prostate Cancer, Research Support, 2003 - 2004
- Talma Eykman Foundation Award to Fleur van de Geijn (Dr. Carducci- Mentor) for outstanding research during research elective, 2002
- Osler Medicine Housestaff Teaching Award, Department of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 1997
- Second Prize, American Urological Association/CaP CURE Contest, 1996
- Catherine S. and Isaac Hecht Award for Cancer Research, 1995 - 1997
- Merit Award Recipient, American Society of Clinical Oncology, 1995
- Wellcome Oncology Clinical Research Scholar, American Association for Cancer Research, 1995
- Third Prize, 1995 American Urological Association/CaP CURE Contest,, 1995
- Young Investigator Award, American Society of Clinical Oncology, 1995
- Housestaff Teaching Award, Department of Medicine University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 1991
- Distinguished Service Award, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 1988
- M.D. with High Distinction, Wayne State University, 1988
- Alpha Omega Alpha, 1986
- Alpha Sigma Nu, Jesuit Honor Society, 1982
- Salutatorian, Bishop Moore High School, 1979
- American Association for Cancer Research, 1996
- American Association for Cancer Research, 1993 - 1996
- American Association of the Advancement of Science, 1992
- American College of Physicians, 1990 - 1992
- American College of Physicians, 1998
- American College of Physicians, 1992 - 1998
- American Society of Clinical Oncology, 1995
- American Urological Association, 1997
- International Society of Differentiation, 1997
- National Kidney Cancer Foundation, 1999
- Data Safety Monitoring Board, GPC Biotech, 2004 - 2007
Satraplatin in Prostate Cancer
- Data Safety Monitoring Board, Merck , 2003
Vioxx in Prostate Cancer
- Data Safety Monitoring Committee, Internal Investigator Initiated Study, 2008 - 2010
Advisory committee member
- Data Safety Monitoring Committee, Sanofi-Aventis , 2007 - 2011
VEGF-TRAP in Prostate Cancer