Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Marlene Rosemary Miller, M.D.
Vice Chair, Quality and Safety, Children's Center
Professor of Pediatrics
Expertise: Adolescent Medicine, General Pediatrics, Pediatrics
Research Interests: Quality of care; Patient safety; Children
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 443-287-5365
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Marlene R. Miller is a professor of pediatrics at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, with a joint appointment in health policy and management at the Bloomberg School of Public Health. Dr. Miller’s clinical expertise includes general pediatrics, adolescent medicine and quality and safety. She serves as vice chair of Quality and Safety for Johns Hopkins Children's Center.
She received undergraduate degrees in biology and psychology from Case Western Reserve University, where she also earned her medical degree. She completed both a pediatrics residency and a pediatric cardiology fellowship at Johns Hopkins. Dr. Mille holds a M.Sc. in clinical investigation from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. She joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 1999.
Dr. Miller’s research focuses on measuring quality of care, implementing quality improvements, and patient safety, particularly as it relates to children. She has multiple quality improvement and safety teams operating to provide data and stimulus for ongoing research on quality and safety.
She is a fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics and serves as vice president of Quality Transformation for the National Association of Children's Hospitals and Related Institutions.
Dr. Miller has served on many advisory committees, review groups, study sections and steering committees – on the national level and at Johns Hopkins. She serves on the editorial boards of the American Journal of Medical Quality and Journal of Patient Safety and is a member of professional organizations that include the Academic Pediatric Association and the Academy for Health Services Research and Health Policy.
- Vice Chair, Quality and Safety, Children's Center
- Professor of Pediatrics
Departments / Divisions
- Pediatrics - Quality and Safety Division
Centers & Institutes
- MD, St. Vincent Charity Medical Center (1991)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1994)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1999)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Pediatrics (1995, 2010)
Research & Publications
Dr. Miller’s research focuses on patient safety, measuring quality of care and implementing quality improvement.
In her role as Vice Chair of Quality and Safety at Johns Hopkins Children's Hospital, Dr. Miller oversees many safety and quality- improvement teams that provide data and stimulate ongoing research.
Pronovost PJ, Armstrong CM, Demski R, Callender T, Winner L, Miller MR, Austin JM, Berenholtz SM, Yang T, Peterson RR, Reitz JA, Bennett RG, Broccolino VA, Davis RO, Gragnolati BA, Green GE, Rothman PB. "Creating a high-reliability health care system: improving performance on core processes of care at johns hopkins medicine." Acad Med. 2015 Feb;90(2):165-72. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000000610.
Bundy DG, Gaur AH, Billett AL, He B, Colantuoni EA, Miller MR; Children's Hospital Association Hematology/Oncology CLABSI Collaborative. "Preventing CLABSIs among pediatric hematology/oncology inpatients: national collaborative results." Pediatrics. 2014 Dec;134(6):e1678-85. doi: 10.1542/peds.2014-0582. Epub 2014 Nov 17.
Cifra CL, Jones KL, Ascenzi J, Bhalala US, Bembea MM, Fackler JC, Miller MR. "The morbidity and mortality conference as an adverse event surveillance tool in a paediatric intensive care unit." BMJ Qual Saf. 2014 Nov;23(11):930-8. doi: 10.1136/bmjqs-2014-003000. Epub 2014 Jul 18.
Rinke ML, Bundy DG, Velasquez CA, Rao S, Zerhouni Y, Lobner K, Blanck JF, Miller MR. "Interventions to reduce pediatric medication errors: a systematic review." Pediatrics. 2014 Aug;134(2):338-60. doi: 10.1542/peds.2013-3531. Epub 2014 Jul 14.
Neu AM, Miller MR, Stuart J, Lawlor J, Richardson T, Martz K, Rosenberg C, Newland J, McAfee N, Begin B, Warady BA; SCOPE Collaborative Participants. "Design of the standardizing care to improve outcomes in pediatric end stage renal disease collaborative." Pediatr Nephrol. 2014 Sep;29(9):1477-84. doi: 10.1007/s00467-014-2891-7. Epub 2014 Jul 24.
Activities & Honors
- Outstanding Abstract Award, “Elimination of catheter-related blood stream infections in pediatric patients”, American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Critical Care, 2005
- Article of the Year Award, “Excess length of stay, charges, and mortality attributable to medical errors during hospitalization: an administrative data-based analysis”, Department of Health and Human Services Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, 2004
- Director’s Citation for Outstanding Group Performance on the National Healthcare Disparities Report Data Workgroup, Department of Health and Human Services, 2003
- Secretary’s Award for Distinguished Service as member of AHRQ-MEPS Steering Committee, Department of Health and Human Services, 2002
- Director’s Award for Merit given for the development of a rigorous and fair process for intramural research review for the emerging intramural research centers, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, 2001
- Director’s Citation for outstanding Group Performance for cross-center teamwork resulting in the drafting and funding of the TRIP II RFA and the creation of and participation on the AHRQ TRIP Internal Coordinating Council, 2001
- National Research Service Award Training Grant, Johns Hopkins University Department of Medicine, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, 1998
- Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics, 1991
- Academic Pediatric Association, 2003
- Academy for Health Services Research and Health Policy, 1998
- Vice President, Quality Transformation, National Association of Children's Hospitals and Related Institutions
- Editorial board, Journal of Patient Safety, 2005
- Editorial board, American Journal of Medical Quality, 2004