Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Michael Anthony Barone, M.D., M.P.H.
Associate Dean for Faculty Educational Development
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Expertise: Inpatient Pediatrics, Pediatrics
Research Interests: Medical Education
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-3416
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-0967
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Michael Barone is an associate professor of pediatrics at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His work focuses on inpatient pediatrics and medical education.
Dr. Barone serves as the director of medical student education in the Department of Pediatrics. He also is the associate dean for faculty educational development and the assistant dean for student affairs at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, a position in which he acts as an academic advisor to numerous medical students.
He received his undergraduate degree from Bucknell University and earned his M.D. from Northwestern University. He completed his pediatrics residency at The Johns Hopkins Hospital and earned a masters in public health from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Born and raised in New York, he has cared for community hospital patients since starting practice in 1996 and has been part of the Johns Hopkins Bayview pediatric hospitalist group since 2009.
Dr. Barone’s research and educational interests include curriculum development, outcomes of curriculum reform and clinical skills teaching.
He has been the recipient of several educationally based awards including the Alexander Schaffer Award for Outstanding Clinical Instruction from the Johns Hopkins Harriet Lane Pediatric Houstaff, the Ballantine Award for Teaching Excellence from Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, and the Clinical Instructor of the Year from St. Luke’s Hospital.
He is a member of National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME), the President of the Council on Medical Student Education in Pediatrics, and a member of the managing board for the Johns Hopkins’ Institute for Excellence in Education.
- Associate Dean for Faculty Educational Development
- Director, Medical Student Education, Department of Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
- Assistant Dean for Student Affairs, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Departments / Divisions
- MD, Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine (1991)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pediatrics (1994)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pediatrics (1996)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Pediatrics (1994, 2002)
Activities & Honors
- Professors Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2011
- Alexander Schaffer Award for Outstanding Clinical Instruction, Johns Hopkins Harriet Lane Pediatric Housestaff, 2010
- Ballantine Award for Teaching Excellence, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, 1999
- Clinical Instructor of the Year, St. Luke’s Hospital, 1997
- President, Council on Medical Student Education in Pediatrics, 2001
- United State Medical Licensing Examination Step I Committee, National Board of Medical Examiners, 2009
- United State Medical Licensing Examination Interdisciplinary Review Committee member, National Board of Medical Examiners, 2008
- Managing Board, Johns Hopkins’ Institute for Excellence in Education
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
“Medical students meet their match,” Baltimore Sun, March 21, 2014