Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Theodore Leslie DeWeese, M.D.
The Sidney Kimmel Professor
Professor of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences
Expertise: Bladder Cancer, Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Radiation Oncology, Urological Oncology
Research Interests: Prostate Cancer; DNA damage; Radiation sensitization
Request an Appointment
Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center
Appointment Phone: 410-502-8000
401 N. Broadway
Baltimore, MD 21231 map
Dr. Theodore DeWeese is a professor of radiation oncology and molecular radiation sciences, oncology and urology at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. His areas of clinical expertise include prostate cancer, radiation oncology and urological oncology.
He and his colleagues devised the first adenoviral gene therapy trial for prostate cancer, using a common cold virus to target cancer cells while leaving normal cells unharmed.
Dr. DeWeese serves as the director of the Department of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences and Vice President of Interdisciplinary Patient Care for Johns Hopkins Medicine.
Dr. DeWeese received his B.A. from Metropolitan State College of Denver. He earned his M.D. from the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center. He completed his residency at The Johns Hopkins Hospital and performed a fellowship in urologic oncology at the Johns Hopkins Oncology Center and the James Buchanan Brady Urological Institute.
Previously at Johns Hopkins, Dr. DeWeese was an associate professor in oncology and urology and, later, the director of the radiation biology research program.
Dr. DeWeese's research interests include prostate cancer, DNA damage and radiation sensitization.
Dr. DeWeese has served on committees for the American Association for Cancer Research and the American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology. He has received numerous awards and honors, including two teaching awards from the Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center and an appointment as chief resident of radiation oncology at The Johns Hopkins Hospital in 1993-1994.
- The Sidney Kimmel Professor
- Radiation Oncologist -in-Chief
- Director Department of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences
- Professor of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences
- Professor of Oncology
- Professor of Urology
Departments / Divisions
- Oncology - Prostate Cancer and GU
- Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences - Molecular Radiation Science
- MD, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center (1990)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Radiation Oncology (1994)
- American Board of Radiology / Radiation Oncology (1995, 2017)
Research & Publications
Dr. DeWeese's research focus is on identifying DNA repair enzymes that, if inactivated, would result in substantial radiation sensitization. His team has synthesized a chimeric molecule in which a siRNA-targeting DNA repair protein is combined with an aptamer targeting the prostate-unique protein, prostate specific membrane antigen (PSMA). This results in a chimeric siRNA-apatmer that is a potent, targeted radiosensitizer with potential for translation into prostate cancer therapy.
Clinical Trial KeywordsProstate cancer, Gene therapy
Learn more about clinical trials at the Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Kusano AS, Thomas CR Jr, Bonner JA, Deweese TL, Formenti SC, Hahn SM, Lawrence TS, Mittal BB. "Burnout in United States academic chairs of radiation oncology programs." Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014 Feb 1;88(2):363-8. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2013.09.027. Epub 2013 Nov 1.
- Wada S, Harris TJ, Tryggestad E, Yoshimura K, Zeng J, Yen HR, Getnet D, Grosso JF, Bruno TC, De Marzo AM, Netto GJ, Pardoll DM, DeWeese TL, Wong J, Drake CG. "Combined treatment effects of radiation and immunotherapy: studies in an autochthonous prostate cancer model." Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013 Nov 15;87(4):769-76.
- Song H, Hedayati M, Hobbs RF, Shao C, Bruchertseifer F, Morgenstern A, Deweese TL, Sgouros G. "Targeting aberrant DNA double-strand break repair in triple-negative breast cancer with alpha-particle emitter radiolabeled anti-EGFR antibody." Mol Cancer Ther. 2013 Oct;12(10):2043-54. doi: 10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-13-0108. Epub 2013 Jul 19.
- Alcorn S, Walker AJ, Gandhi N, Narang A, Wild AT, Hales RK, Herman JM, Song DY, Deweese TL, Antonarakis ES, Tran PT. "Molecularly targeted agents as radiosensitizers in cancer therapy--focus on prostate cancer." Int J Mol Sci. 2013 Jul 16;14(7):14800-32.
- Narang AK, Lam E, Makary MA, Deweese TL, Pawlik TM, Pronovost PJ, Herman JM. "Accuracy of marketing claims by providers of stereotactic radiation therapy."J Oncol Pract. 2013 Jan;9(1):57-62.
Activities & Honors
- Director's Teaching Award in Clinical Science, The Johns Hopkins Oncology Center, 2003
- Director's Teaching Award in Basic Science, The Johns Hopkins Oncology Center, 2002
- Doris Duke Research Scientist Award, 1999
- Travel Award, European Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology, 1998
- Travel Grant, American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology Basic Science, 1995
- Fellowship Award, American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology Research, 1994
- Chief Resident, Radiation Oncology, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 1993 - 1994
- Dean's Letter of Academic Achievement, 1990
- American Association for Cancer Research, 1994
- American College of Radiology, 1991
- American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology, 1991
- Education Committee, American Association for Cancer Research, 2004
- Examiner, Genitourinary Section of Oral Boards for American Board of Radiology, 2002
- Executive Committee, American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology, 2002
Cancer and Radiation Biology Committee