Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Frederic B Askin, M.D.
Director, Surgical Pathology
Professor of Pathology
Research Interests: Lung cancer; Pathology; Pediatric lung disease; Pediatric neoplasia; Pulmonary disease
Request an Appointment
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-0671
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-550-0671
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Frederic Askin is a professor of pathology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His area of clinical expertise includes pulmonary disease, pediatric neoplasia, pediatric lung disease, pathology and lung cancer.
A recognized authority in pediatric and adult lung pathology with more than 30 years of experience in the field, Dr. Askin serves as the director of surgical pathology and as chief of pathology at the Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center.
Dr. Askin earned his M.D. from the University of Virginia School of Medicine. He completed residencies at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, and Washington University School of Medicine. He performed a fellowship in surgical pathology at Washington University School of Medicine and a fellowship in environmental pathology at the University of California San Diego School of Medicine.
His research interests are adult and pediatric lung disease and the study of pediatric neoplasms. Dr. Askin serves on the editorial board of several journals, including The American Journal of Surgical Pathology. He has authored numerous articles on pulmonary disease, contributed to a number of textbooks on the subject, and co-authored two editions of The Surgical Pathology of Non-Neoplastic Lung Diseases.
- Director, Surgical Pathology
- Chief of Pathology, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Professor of Pathology
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of Virginia School of Medicine (1964)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1966)
- Naval Hospital Great Lakes / Pathology (1968)
- Washington University School of Medicine (1971)
- Washington University School of Medicine / Pathology (1972)
- University of California San Diego School of Medicine (1973)
- American Board of Pathology / Anatomic Pathology (1972)
Research & Publications
Dr. Askin's research efforts are clinicopathologic studies of neoplasms and other disease processes seen by the surgical pathologist. Electron microscopy, immunocytochemistry, flow cytometry and molecular biologic techniques are often used in these studies, but light microscopy and the clinical history remain important. Radiologic-pathologic correlation is also a valuable area of study.
His particular fields of interest are adult and pediatric lung disease and the study of pediatric neoplasms. He and his team also see material from a wide spectrum of non-neoplastic interstitial lung diseases. Lung carcinomas collected in clinical practice are used in molecular oncologic and clinicopathologic studies.
- Iannone R, Luznik L, Engstrom LW, Tennessee SL, Askin FB, Casella JF, Kickler TS, Goodman SN, Hawkins AL, Griffin CA, Noffsinger L, Fuchs EJ. "Effects of mixed hematopoietic chimerism in a mouse model of bone marrow transplantation for sickle cell anemia." Blood. 2001 Jun 15;97(12):3960-5.
- Nogee LM, Dunbar AE 3rd, Wert SE, Askin F, Hamvas A, Whitsett JA. "A mutation in the surfactant protein C gene associated with familial interstitial lung disease." N Engl J Med. 2001 Feb 22;344(8):573-9.
- Morotti RA, Gutierrez MC, Askin F, Profitt SA, Wert SE, Whitsett JA, Greco MA. "Expression of thyroid transcription factor-1 in congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation of the lung." Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2000 Sep-Oct;3(5):455-61.
- Silver SA, Askin FB. "True papillary carcinoma of the lung: a distinct clinicopathologic entity." Am J Surg Pathol. 1997 Jan;21(1):43-51.
Activities & Honors
- Co-editor, Surgical Pathology of non-Neoplastic Lung Disease
Editions 1 and 2
- Co-editor, Pathology of Solid Tumors in Children
- Co-editor, Perspectives in Pediatric Pathology (pulmonary disease)
- Editorial Board, The American Journal of Surgical Pathology
- Editorial Board, Seminars in Diagnostic Pathology
- Pathology Tissue/Specimen Use Committee, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Review Board X, Johns Hopkins Medicine Institutional, 2013 - 2014