Dr. Dodd-o’s principle research effort focuses on understanding the factors that contribute to ischemia/reperfusion injury of the lung and the contribution of ischemia/reperfusion to the lung dysfunction seen in patients in the early post-cardiopulmonary bypass period.
He has developed a sensitive model of ischemia/reperfusion in a spontaneously breathing mouse. He uses this model and an in situ mouse lung preparation to identify cardiopulmonary interactions that affect lung injury caused by reperfusion. Dr. Dodd-o and his colleagues are attempting to characterize the influence of atrial natriuretic peptide (ANP) on lung microvascular permeability. ANP is secreted by the heart. Preliminary observations indicate that ANP is sometimes injurious and sometimes protective to the lung. Dr. Dodd-o’s goal is to determine the factors that alter its influence on lung permeability.
In another area of study, Dr. Dodd-o uses various preclinical models to begin to explore the influences of mechanical ventilation on lung injury and kidney function, as well as the interaction of mechanical ventilation and kidney injury on lung function.
Dr. Dodd-o’s long-term goal is to use a mouse lung transplantation model to distinguish immunologic effects from reperfusion on graft survival. Lung inflammation can be caused by rejection; it can also be caused by reperfusion. With models of both, Dr. Dodd-o hopes to distinguish which aspects of lung injury following transplantation are due to reperfusion and which are immunologically mediated.
Dr. Jeffrey M. Dodd-o's Lab
- Dodd-o JM, Hristopoulos ML, Kibler K, Gutkowska J, Mukaddam-Daher S, Gonzalez A, Welsh-Servinsky LE, Pearse DB. "The role of natriuretic peptide receptor-A signaling in unilateral lung ischemia-reperfusion injury in the intact mouse." Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 2008 Apr;294(4):L714-23.
- Papaiahgari S, Yerrapureddy A, Reddy SR, Reddy NM, Dodd-o JM, Crow MT, Grigoryev DN, Barnes K, Tuder RM, Yamamoto M, Kensler TW, Biswal S, Mitzner W, Hassoun PM, Reddy SP. "Genetic and pharmacologic evidence links oxidative stress to ventilator-induced lung injury in mice." Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2007 Dec 15;176(12):1222-35. Epub 2007 Sep 27.
- Dodd-o JM, Hristopoulos ML, Welsh-Servinsky LE, Tankersley CG, Pearse DB. "Strain-specific differences in sensitivity to ischemia-reperfusion lung injury in mice." J Appl Physiol. 2006 May;100(5):1590-5. Epub 2006 Jan 26.
- Tong Q, Zheng L, Kang Q, Dodd-o J, Langer J, Li B, Wang D, Li D. "Upregulation of hypoxia-induced mitogenic factor in bacterial lipopolysaccharide-induced acute lung injury." FEBS Lett. 2006 Apr 17;580(9):2207-15. Epub 2006 Mar 20.
- Li D, Fernandez LG, Dodd-o J, Langer J, Wang D, Laubach VE. "Upregulation of hypoxia-induced mitogenic factor in compensatory lung growth after pneumonectomy". Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2005 Mar;32(3):185-91. Epub 2004 Dec 30.