Dr. Pomper’s research projects in central nervous system imaging include using positron emission tomography (PET) and advanced magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS) techniques to uncover brain metabolic correlates of AIDS dementia; using PET to study molecular (neurotransmitter) and cellular abnormalities in patients with AIDS dementia; and the development of new radiopharmaceuticals for imaging nicotinic and glutamatergic neurotransmission as well as for imaging inflammation.
In oncology, he focuses on advanced magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) techniques, such as diffusion tensor and amide proton transfer imaging to study brain tumors. In addition, radiopharmaceutical and optical imaging agents are being developed to study prostate cancer, metastatic potential, infection, inflammation and to study the pharmacokinetics of chemotherapeutic agents in vivo. Molecular-genetic imaging of cancer is another priority.
His research group consists of chemists, physicists, molecular biologists and clinicians working together toward clinical molecular imaging.
The Johns Hopkins Small Animal Imaging Resource Program (SAIRP) works to generate the confidence necessary to move new cancer therapies to patients. Its ultimate goal is to move small animal imaging science forward to the point where the incorporation of such imaging techniques becomes second nature in the daily practice of cancer researchers.
Dr. Martin Pomper's Lab
Small Animal Imaging
Clinical Trial Keywords:
AIDS, Dementia, MS, HIV, PSMA
- Banerjee, S.R., Pullambhatla, M., Byun, Y., Nimmagadda, S., Foss, C.A., Green, G., Fox, J.J., Lupold, S.E., Mease, R.C., Pomper, M.G. "Sequential SPECT and optical imaging of experimental models of prostate cancer with a dual modality inhibitor of the prostate-specific membrane antigen." Angew. Chem. Int. Edit. 2011, in press.
- Bhang, H.-E., Gabrielson, K.L., Laterra, J., Fisher, P.B., Pomper, M.G. "Tumor-specific imaging through progression elevated gene-3 promoter-driven gene expression." Nat. Med. 17:123-129, 2011.
- Banerjee, S.R., Pullambhatla, M., Byun, Y., Nimmagadda, S., Green, G., Fox, J.J., Horti, A., Mease ,R.C., Pomper, M.G. (68) "Ga-labeled inhibitors of Prostate-Specific Membrane Antigen (PSMA) for imaging prostate cancer." J. Med. Chem. 2010 Jun 22.
- Nimmagadda, S., Pullambhatla, M., Stone, K., Green, G., Bhujwalla, Z.M., Pomper, M.G. "Molecular imaging of CXCR4 receptor expression in human cancer xenografts with [64Cu]AMD3100 positron emission tomography." Cancer Res. 70(10):3935-44, 2010.
- Wang, H., Byun, Y., Barinka, C., Pullambhatla, M., Bhang, H.-E., Fox, J.J., Lubkowski, J., Mease, R.C., Pomper, M.G. "Bioisosterism of urea-based GCPII inhibitors: synthesis and structure-activity relationships." Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 20(1):392-7, 2010.
- Zhang, Y., Byun, Y., Ren, Y.R., Liu, J.O., Laterra, J., Pomper, M.G. "Identification of inhibitors of ABCG2 by a bioluminescence imaging-based high-throughput assay." Cancer Res. 69:5867-75, 2009.
- Fu, D,, Tanhehco, Y., Chen, J., Foss, C.A., Fox, J.J., Chong, J.-M., Fukayama, M., Sgouros, G., Kowalski, J.,Pomper, M.G., Ambinder, R.F. "Bortezomib-induced enzyme-targeted radiotherapy in herpesvirus-associated tumors." Nat. Med. 14:1118-1122, 2008.
- Diaz, L.A., Foss, C.A., Thornton, K., Nimmagadda, S., Endres, C.J., Uzuner, O., Seyler, T.M., Ulrich, S.D., Conway, J., Bettegowda, C., Agrawal, N., Cheong, I., Zhang, X., Ladenson, P.W., Vogelstein, B.N., Mont, M.A.,
- Zhou, S., Kinzler, K.W., Vogelstein, B., Pomper, M.G. "Imaging of musculoskeletal bacterial infections by [124I]FIAU-PET/CT." PLoS One 2(10):e1007, 2007. Zhou, J., Neale, J.H., Pomper, M.G., Kozikowski, A.P. "NAAG peptidase inhibitors and their potential for diagnosis and therapy." Nat. Rev. Drug Discovery 4:1015-26, 2005.
- Bettegowda, C., Foss, C.A., Wang, Y., Fox, J., Zhou, S., Kinzler, K., Vogelstein, B., Pomper, M.G. "Imaging bacterial infection in live animals with radiolabeled FIAU." Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 102:1145-51150, 2005.