Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Michael Robert Clark, M.B.A., M.D., M.P.H.
Vice Chair for Clinical Affairs
Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Expertise: Adult Psychiatry, Chronic Pain, Pain Management, Psychiatry, Psychosomatic Medicine
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-2126
600 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Michael R. Clark is the Director of the Adolf Meyer Chronic Pain Treatment Programs in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine and has joint appointments in the Departments of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery in the School of Medicine and of Mental Hygiene in the Bloomberg School of Hygiene and Public Health.
Dr. Clark specializes in the care of patients with chronic medical illnesses. He is a member of the Blaustein Pain Treatment Center and the Vestibular & Balance Disorders Center at the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions. These interdisciplinary efforts deliver comprehensive medical care to patients with disabling conditions that are refractory to diagnosis and treatment.
A fellow of the Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine, Dr. Clark currently devotes his research work to psychiatric phenomenology of sensory abnormalities such as chronic dizziness and pain, including studies on neuropathic pain. He serves on the National Institutes of Health Division of Research Grants Risk Prevention and Health Behavior Study Section.
Click here for a Hopkins Psychiatry Newsletter article about Dr. Clark''s work
- Vice Chair for Clinical Affairs
- Director, Pain Treatment Program
- Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- Joint Appointment in Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
- MD, Washington University School of Medicine (1986)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Psychiatry (1990)
- University of Washington Medical Center / Psychiatry (1992)
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology / Psychiatry (1992)
Research & Publications
- Clark MR, Treisman GJ (eds). Pain and Depression: An Interdisciplinary Patient-Centered Approach. Advances in Psychosomatic Medicine. Volume 25, Karger, Basel, (2004).
- Larson SL, Clark MR, Eaton WW. Depressive Disorder as a Long-Term Antecedent Risk Factor for Incident Back Pain: A Thirteen-Year Follow-Up Study from the Baltimore Epidemiological Catchment Area Sample. Psychological Medicine 2004;34:211-219.
- Clark MR, Cox TS. Refractory Chronic Pain. Psychiatric Clinics North America 2002;25:71-88.
- Clark MR, Swartz KL. A Conceptual Structure and Methodology for the Systematic Approach to the Evaluation and Treatment of Patients with Chronic Dizziness. Journal of Anxiety Disorders 2001;15:95-106.
- Clark MR. Pharmacological Treatments for Chronic Non-Malignant Pain. International Review of Psychiatry 2000;12:148-156.