Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Paul J Hoehner, M.D.
Research Interests: Adult and pediatric cardiac and thoracic anesthesia; Techniques for single-lung ventilation in children; Regional anesthesia in pediatric and adult cardiac surgery; Intra-operative awareness during cardiac surgery; Neurological complications after cardiopulmonary bypass; TEE evaluation of fluid shifts and resuscitation in critical burn patients; Clinical ethical issues ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-6353
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Paul Hoehner is a senior clinical associate at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His area of clinical expertise is anesthesiology.
He received his B.A. and his M.D. from Johns Hopkins, where he also performed his residency. He also earned an M.A. in theological studies from Reformed Theological Seminary and is a Ph.D. candidate in theology, ethics and culture at the University of Virginia.
Dr. Hoehner was a member of the Johns Hopkins faculty from 1991 to 1994. Before joining Bayview Medical Center in 2009, he worked at Central Maine Heart and Vascular Institute, where he served as medical director of cardiovascular and thoracic anesthesiology. He also served in the Army Reserve Medical Corps from 1983 to 1999.
His clinical research interests include adult and pediatric cardiac and thoracic anesthesia, techniques for single-lung ventilation in children, and regional anesthesia in pediatric and adult cardiac surgery.
Dr. Hoehner serves as chairman of the board of directors for Chesapeake Reformed Theological Seminary. He was recognized by the Mustard Seed Foundation with a Harvey Dissertation Fellowship in Religious Studies and Bioethics in 2003. He is a member of several professional organizations, including the Society of Critical Care Medicine, the American Society of Anesthesiologists and the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists.
Departments / Divisions
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1986)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Anesthesiology (1990)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Anesthesiology (1995)
Research & Publications
Gaidry AD, Hoehner PJ. "Pilot study: The role of predeployment ethics training, professional ethics, and religious values on naval physicians' ethical decision making." Mil Med. 2016 Aug;181(8):786-92. doi: 10.7205/MILMED-D-15-00104
Arkes H, Austriaco NP, Berg T, Brugger EC, Cameron NM, Capizzi J, Condic ML, Condic SB, FitzGerald KT, Flannery K, Furton EJ, George RP, George T, Gomez-Lobo A, Grisez G, Grompe M, Haas JM, Hamerton-Kelly R, Harvey JC, Hoehner PJ, Hurlbut WB, Kilner JF, Lee P, May WE, Miranda G, Mitchell CB, Myers JJ, Oleson C, Pacholczyk T, Ryan PF, Saunders WL, Stevens D, Swetland SW, Whelan ME, Williams T. "Production of pluripotent stem cells by oocyte-assisted reprogramming: joint statement with signatories." Natl Cathol Bioeth Q. 2005 Autumn;5(3):579-83
Hoehner PJ. "The myth of value neutrality." Virtual Mentor. 2006 May 1;8(5):341-4. doi: 10.1001/virtualmentor.2006.8.5.oped2-0605
Hoehner PJ. "'Altered nuclear transfer': probing the nature of being human." Natl Cathol Bioeth Q. 2005 Summer;5(2):261-9
Hoehner PJ. "Ethical aspects of informed consent in obstetric anesthesia--new challenges and solutions." J Clin Anesth. 2003 Dec;15(8):587-600. Review
Activities & Honors
- Harvey Dissertation Fellowship in Religious Studies and Bioethics, Mustard Seed Foundation, 2003
- Templeton Science and Religion Course Program Award, Center for Theology and the Natural Sciences - University of California at Berkeley, 1999
- Certificate of Merit, American College of Physicians, 1987
- Critical Care Foundation Award, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 1986
- Johns Hopkins Medical and Surgical Society
- Richmond Academy of Medicine
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Maryland Society of Anesthesiologists
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists
- American Heart Association
- International Anesthesia Research Society
- Chairman, Board of Directors, Chesapeake Reformed Theological Seminary, Ellicott City, MD, 2009
- Maryland State Representative, House of Delegates, Christian Medical and Dental Associations, Bristol, TN, 2010