Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Sharon Ann McGrath-Morrow, M.D.
Program director, Pediatric Pulmonary Fellowship Program
Professor of Pediatrics
Expertise: Ataxia-Telangiectasia, Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia, Pediatric Pulmonary Medicine
Research Interests: Neonatal lung injury; Bronchopulmonary dysplasia; Ataxia-telangiectasia; Predisposing factors to adult lung disease
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Pediatrics
Appointment Phone: 443-997-5437
200 N. Wolfe Street
Rubenstein Child Health Building
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Sharon McGrath-Morrow is a professor of pediatrics at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She holds a secondary appointment in environmental health sciences at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
She is a researcher and pediatrician with specialty training in pediatric pulmonary medicine. Dr. McGrath-Morrow serves as the program director of the Pediatric Pulmonary Fellowship Program at Johns Hopkins.
Dr. McGrath-Morrow received her medical degree from the University of Virginia School of Medicine. She completed her residency in pediatrics and her fellowship in pediatric pulmonology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
Dr. McGrath-Morrow's research interests include neonatal lung injury, bronchopulmonary dysplasia, ataxia-telangiectasia and predisposing factors to adult lung disease.
She is a fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics and a member of the American Academy of Pediatric Tobacco Consortium. She is also a member of the American Thoracic Society and the Society of Pediatric Research.
- Program director, Pediatric Pulmonary Fellowship Program
- Professor of Pediatrics
Centers & Institutes
- FAMRI (Flight Attendant Medical Research Institute) Center of Excellence at Johns Hopkins
- Johns Hopkins Children's Center
- MD, University of Virginia School of Medicine (1985)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1989)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pediatrics (1992)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Pediatric Pulmonology (1992)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Pediatrics - General (1989)
Research & Publications
Dr. McGrath-Morrow's research interests include neonatal lung injury, bronchopulmonary dysplasia, ataxia telangiectasia, and predisposing factors to adult lung disease.
She runs a translational laboratory that models neonatal lung injury. The focus of the lab includes:
- Alveoli and vascular responses of the neonatal lung to hyperoxia, VEGF signaling disruption and secondhand smoke
- Relationship between neonatal lung injury and abnormal lung function in the adult
- Immune response of the neonatal lung to acute lung injury to identify pathways to optimize lung recovery
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
McGrath-Morrow SA, Hayashi M, Aherrera A, Lopez A, Malinina A, Collaco JM, Neptune E, Klein JD, Winickoff JP, Breysse P, Lazarus P, Chen G. "The effects of electronic cigarette emissions on systemic cotinine levels, weight and postnatal lung growth in neonatal mice." PLoS One. 2015 Feb 23;10(2):e0118344. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0118344. eCollection 2015.
Collaco JM, Aherrera AD, Breysse PN, Winickoff JP, Klein JD, McGrath-Morrow SA. "Hair nicotine levels in children with bronchopulmonary dysplasia." Pediatrics. 2015 Mar;135(3):e678-86. doi: 10.1542/peds.2014-2501. Epub 2015 Feb 2.
Collaco JM, Drummond MB, McGrath-Morrow SA. "Electronic cigarette use and exposure in the pediatric population." JAMA Pediatr. 2015 Feb 1;169(2):177-82. doi: 10.1001/jamapediatrics.2014.2898.
Lefton-Greif MA, Okelo SO, Wright JM, Collaco JM, McGrath-Morrow SA, Eakin MN. "Impact of children's feeding/swallowing problems: validation of a new caregiver instrument." Dysphagia. 2014 Dec;29(6):671-7. doi: 10.1007/s00455-014-9560-7. Epub 2014 Aug 27.
McGrath-Morrow SA, Lee S, Gibbs K, Lopez A, Collaco JM, Neptune E, Soloski MJ, Scott A, D'Alessio F. "Immune response to intrapharyngeal LPS in neonatal and juvenile mice." Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2015 Mar;52(3):323-31. doi: 10.1165/rcmb.2014-0100OC.
Activities & Honors
- Baltimore magazine Top Doctor, 2013 - 2014
- Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Academy of Pediatric Tobacco Consortium
- American Thoracic Society
- Society of Pediatric Research
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
“1 in 5 Preemies With Lung Disease Exposed to Secondhand Smoke,” U.S. News & World Report/Health Day, Feb. 27, 2015