I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
William B Greenough, III, M.D.
Associate Medical Director; Clinical Chief, Ventilator Rehabilitation Unit, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Professor of Medicine
Languages: English, Bengali
Expertise: Geriatric Medicine
Research Interests: Diarrhea C. difficile; Oral rehydration therapy
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-0247
5505 Hopkins Bayview Circle
John R. Burton Pavilion
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. William B. Greenough III is a professor of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His areas of clinical expertise include geriatric medicine.
An international expert in infectious disease, he serves as the associate medical director and clinical chief of the Ventilator Rehabilitation Unit at the Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center.
Dr. Greenough earned his M.D. from Harvard Medical School. He completed his residency at Brigham and Women's Hospital and performed a fellowship in hematology at Mary Imogene Bassett Hospital.
His research interests include diarrhea C. difficile and oral rehydration therapy.
Dr. Greenough has been recognized with numerous honors, including an Arnold P. Gold Foundation Humanism in Medicine Award from the American Geriatric Society in 2014. He is a member of several professional organizations, including the American Federation for Clinical Research, the American Geriatrics Society and the American Society for Clinical Investigation.
- Associate Medical Director; Clinical Chief, Ventilator Rehabilitation Unit, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Associate Medical Director, The Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology
- Professor of Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Harvard Medical School (1957)
- Brigham and Women's Hospital / Medicine (1962)
- Mary Imogene Bassett Hospital / Hematology (1961)
Research & Publications
Gerold KB, Greenough WB 3rd. "Rice-based electrolyte drinks more effective than water in replacing sweat losses during hot weather training and operations." J Spec Oper Med. 2013 Winter;13(4):12-4.
Stein BE, Greenough WB, III, Mears SC. "Management and prevention of recurrent Clostridium difficile infection in patients after total joint arthroplasty: a review." Geriatr Orthop Surg Rehabil. 2012;3(4):157-163.
Valente SA, Greenough WB, III, DeMarco SL, Andersen RE. "More expensive surfaces are not always better." Kuwait Med Journal. 2012;44(1):40-45.
Milner SM, Greenough WB, III, Asuku ME, Feldman M, Makam R, Noppenberger D, Price LA, Prosciak M, vanLoon IN. "From cholera to burns: a role for oral rehydration therapy." J Health Popul Nutr. 2011 Dec;29(6):648-51.
Laffan AM, McKenzie R, Forti J, Conklin D, Marcinko R, Shrestha R, Bellantoni M, Greenough, WB, III. "Lactoferrin for the prevention of post antibiotic diarrhea." J Health Popul Nutr. 2011 Dec;29(6):547-51.
Leng SX, Tian X, Liu X, Lazarus G, Bellantoni M, Greenough W, Fried LP, Shen T, Durso SC. "An international model for geriatrics program development in China: the Johns Hopkins-Peking Union Medical College experience." J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010 Jul;58(7):1376-81.
Frick KD, Burton LC, Clark R, Mader, SI, Naughton WB, Burl JB, Greenough WB III, Steinwachs DM, Leff B. "Substitutive Hospital at Home for older persons: Effects on costs." Am J Manag Care. 2009 Jan;15(1):49-56.
Leff B, Burton L, Mader S, Naughton B, Burl J, Greenough WB, Guido S, Steinwachs D. "Comparison of functional outcomes associated with hospital at home care and traditional acute hospital care." J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009 Feb;57(2):273-8. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2008.02103.x. Epub 2008 Dec 11.
Greenough W. "Treating and repatriating: an unacceptable policy." Virtual Mentor. 2009 Jul 1;11(7):502-5.
Stein BE. Greenough WB, III, Mears SC. "Recurrent Clostridium Difficile-Associate Disease in Patients after Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Case Report and Review of Management. Amer Jrnl of Orthopedics. Submitted Sept. 18, 2009.
Activities & Honors
- Who's Who in the East
- Who's Who in Science and Engineering
- Who's Who in America
- Who's Who in the World
- American Men and Women of Science
- Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare
- UNICEF Gold Medal for East Asia and Pakistan, 1983
- King Faisal International Prize in Medicine, 1984
- UNICEF Maurice Pate Prize, (ICDDR,B), 1984
- W.B. Greenough Award for Excellence in Research/BRAC Student Award, 2006
- Employee of the Month Recipient, Johns Hopkins Bayview Care Center, 2006
- BAFI Outstanding Services Award for the cause of Bangladesh, 2007
- Mary Betty Stevens Award for Excellence in Clinical Research, American College of Physicians (Maryland Chapter), 2013
- Arnold P. Gold Foundation Humanism in Medicine Award, American Geriatric Society, 2014
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- American Federation for Clinical Research
- American Geriatrics Society
- American Society for Clinical Investigation
- American Society for Microbiology
- Association of American Physicians
- Bangladesh Association for Advancement of Science
- Bangladesh Medical Society
- Chapel Committee
- Fellow of American College of Physicians
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Infectious Diseases Society of America
- Maryland Gerontological Association
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Young Investigators Day Committee
- Assistant Chief of Medicine, Baltimore City Hospitals, 1967 - 1970
- Chief Clinical Research, Cholera Research Laboratory, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1964 - 1965
- Chief, Infectious Diseases Division, Johns Hopkins University, 1970 - 1976
Department of Medicine
- Director, International Centre for Diarrhoeal, Bangladesh, 1979 - 1985
- Director, Robert Wood, Johns Hopkins University, Johnson Foundation, 1974 - 1977
Clinical Scholars Program
- Scientific Director, Cholera Research Laboratory, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1977 - 1979
- Staff Associate, National Heart Institute, 1965 - 1967
Laboratory of Metabolism