Research & Publications +
Original Scientific Papers:
1. Shillington JK, Denning GS, Greenough WB III, Hill T Jr, and Ramsay OB. A new method for the resolution of racemic carbonyl compounds; the synthesis and use of 4-(4-carboxy-phenyl) semicarbazide. J Amer Chem Soc. 1958;80:6551-6553.
2. Thomas ED, Lochte HB Jr, Wales M, and Greenough WB III. In vitro synthesis of fetal and adult hemoglobin by fetal hematopoietic tissues. Nature. 1960;185:396-397.
3. Thomas ED, Herman EC Jr, Greenough WB III, Hager EB, Cannon JH, Sahler OD and Ferrebee JW. Irradiation and marrow infusion in leukemia. Arch Intern Med. 1961;107:829-845.
4. Greenough WB III, Thomas ED and Peters T. An intracellular protein intermediate for hemoglobin synthesis. J Clin Invest. 1962;41:1116-1124.
5. Greenough WB III, Sonnenblick E, Januszewicz V and Laragh JH. Correction of hyperaldosteronism and massive fluid retention of unknown cause by sympathomimetic agents. Amer J Med. 1962;33:603-614.
6. Greenough WB III, Gordon RS Jr, Rosenberg IH, Davies BI and Benenson AS. Tetracycline in the treatment of cholera. Lancet. 1964;i:355-357.
7. Benenson AS, Islam MR and Greenough WB III. Rapid identification of Vibrio cholerae by darkfield microscopy. Bull Wld Hlth Org. 1964;30:827-831.
8. McIntyre OR, Feeley JC, Greenough WB III, Benenson AS, Hasan SI and Saad A. Diarrhea caused by non-cholera vibrios. Amer J Trop Med and Hyg. 1965;14:412-413.
9. Lindenbaum J, Greenough WB III, Benenson AS, Oseasohn RO, Risvi S and Saad A. Non-vibrio cholera. Lancet.1965;i:1081-1083.
10. Gordon RS Jr, Greenough WB III and Lindenbaum J. The management of epidemic cholera. Military Med. 1965;130:475-479.
11. Cole JR and Greenough WB III. Patent bile ducts at the time of colourless "rice-water" stool in cholera. Lancet. 1965;ii:972-973.
12. Greenough WB III. Pancreatic and Hepatic hypersecretion in cholera. Lancet. 1965;ii:991-994.
13. Ally KM and Greenough WB III. Electrocardiographic changes during shock due to cholera and other causes. East Pakistan Med J. 1966;10:1-8.
14. Lindenbaum J, Akbar RL, Gordon RS Jr, Greenough WB III, Hirschhorn N and Islam MR. Cholera in children. Lancet. 1966;i:1066-1068.
15. Hirschhorn N, Greenough WB III, Lindenbaum J and Alam SN. Hypoglycemia in children with acute diarrhea. Lancet. 1966;ii:128-133.
16. Rosenberg IH, Greenough WB III, Lindenbaum J and Gordon RS Jr. Nutritional studies in cholera: the influence of nutritional status on susceptibility to infection. Amer J Clin Nutr. 1966;19:384-389.
17. Lindenbaum J, Greenough WB III and Islam MR. Antibiotic therapy of Cholera. Bull Wld Hlth Org. 1967;36:871-883.
18. Lindenbaum J, Greenough WB III and Islam MR. Antibiotic therapy of cholera in children. Bull Wld Hlth Org. 1967;37: 529-538.
19. Greenough WB III, Crespin SR, and Steinberg D. Hypoglycemia and hyperinsulinemia in response to raised free fatty acid levels. Lancet. 1967;ii:1334-1336.
20. Harvey RM, Enson Y, Lewis ML, Greenough WB III, Ally KM and Panno RA. Hemodynamic effects of dehydration and metabolic acidosis in Asiatic cholera. Trans Assoc Amer Physiol. 1968;79:177-186.
21. Harvey RM, Enson Y, Lewis ML, Greenough WB III, Ally KM and Panno RA. Hemodynamic studies in cholera: effects of hypovolemia and acidosis. Circulation. 1968;37:709-728.
22. Enson Y, Harvey RM, Lewis ML, Greenough WB III, Ally KM and Panno RA. Hemodynamic effects of metabolic acidosis in cholera: implications for fluid repletion in severe burns. Ann NY Acad Sci.1968;50:577-583.
23. Judson G, Jones A, Kellogg R, Buckner D, Eisel R, Perry S and Greenough WB III. Closed continuous-flow centrifuge. Nature 1968;217:816-818.
24. Carpenter CCJ and Greenough WB III. Response of canine duodenum to intraluminal challenge with cholera exotoxin. J Clin Invest. 1968;47:2600-2607.
25. Greenough WB III and Buckner D. Removal of microfilariae from unanaesthetized dogs by continuous-flow centrifugation. Trans Roy Soc. Trop Med and Hyg. 1969;63:259-262.
26. Carpenter CCJ, Greenough WB III and Sack RB. The relationship of superior mesenteric artery blood flow to gut electrolyte loss in experimental cholera. J Infect Dis. 1969;119:182-193.
27. Zieve PD and Greenough WB III. Adenyl cyclase in human platelets: activity and responsiveness. Biochem Biophys Res Comm. 1969;35:462-465.
28. Greenough WB III, Crespin SR and Steinberg D. Infusion of long-chain fatty acid anions by continuous-flow centrifugation. J Clin Invest. 1969;48:1923-1933.
29. Crespin SR, Greenough WB III and Steinberg D. Stimulation of insulin secretion by infusion of free fatty acids. J Clin Invest. 1969;48:1934-1943.
30. Carpenter CCJ, Curlin GT and Greenough WB III. Response of canine Thiry-Vella jejunal loops to cholera exotoxin and its modification by ethacrynic acid. J Infect Dis. 1969;120:332-338.
31. Al-Awqati Q, Garcia-Bunuel R, Field M and Greenough WB III. The influence of structural abnormality on ion transport in rabbit ileum. Proc Soc. Exptl Biol Med. 1970;135:598-604.
32. Greenough WB III, Pierce NF and Vaughan M. Titration of cholera enterotoxin and antitoxin in isolated fat cells. J Infect Dis. 1970;121:s111-113.
33. Vaughan M, Pierce NF and Greenough WB III. Stimulation of glycerol production in fat cells by cholera toxin. Nature. 1970;226:658-659.
34. Pierce NF, Carpenter CCJ, Elliott HL and Greenough WB III. Effects of prostaglandins, theophylline, and cholera exotoxin upon transmucosal water and electrolyte movement in the canine jejunum. Gastroenterology. 1971;60:22-32.
35. Hirschhorn N and Greenough WB III. Cholera. Scientific American. 1971;225:15-21.
36. Van heyningen WE, Carpenter CCJ, Pierce NF and Greenough WB III. Deactivation of cholera toxin by ganglioside. J Infect Dis. 1971;124:415-418.
37. Zieve PD, Pierce NF and Greenough WB III. Stimulation of glycogenolysis by purified cholera enterotoxin in disrupted cells. Johns Hopkins Med J. 1971;129:299-303.
38. Al-Awqati Q, Wallace CK and Greenough WB III. Stimulation of intestinal secretion in vitro by culture filtrates of E. coli. J Infect Dis. 1972;125:300-303.
39. Field M, Fromm E, Al-Awqati Q and Greenough WB III. Effect of cholera enterotoxin on ion transport across ileal mucosa. J Clin Invest. 1972;51:796-804.
40. Al-Awqati Q and Greenough WB III. Prostaglandins inhibit intestinal sodium transport. Nature (New Biology). 1972;238:26-27.