Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Arthur Burnett, M.D.
Director, Basic Science Laboratory in Neuro-Urology
Professor of Urology
Expertise: Cystocele, Enterocele, Erectile Dysfunction, Male Sexual Dysfunction, Pelvic Floor Disorders, Pelvic Relaxation, Penile Cancer, Penile Deformities, Peyronie's Disease, Prostate Cancer, Rectocele, Scrotal Cancer, Sexual Disorders and Dysfunctions, Stress Incontinence, Urethral Cancer, Urethral Diverticulum, Urethral Fistulas, Urinary Incontinence, Urologic Surgery, Urological Oncology, Urology, Urology, Adult ...read more
Research Interests: Urethral cancer; Stress incontinence; Sexual disorders and dysfunctions; Scrotal cancer; Rectocele; Prostate cancer; Peyronie's disease; Penile deformities; Penile cancer; Pelvic relaxation; Pelvic floor disorders; Male sexual dysfunction; Erectile dysfunction; Enterocele; Cystocele; Erection physiology ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-6100
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Arthur Burnett is a professor of urology at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. He is the Patrick C. Walk Professor of Urology. Dr. Burnett is the director of the Male Consultation Clinic at Johns Hopkins Hospital, a clinician-scientist at the James Buchanan Brady Urological Institute, and director of the Basic Science Laboratory in Neurourology at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
Dr. Burnett received his undergraduate degree in biology from Princeton University and his medical degree at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He completed his internship and residency in surgery, and subsequently residency and fellowship in urology at The Johns Hopkins Hospital. Upon completion of his urology residency, he received an American Foundation of Urologic Disease New Investigator Award to continue research work into the regulatory mechanisms of penile erection. He has maintained an active laboratory in neurourology since that time.
Dr. Burnett is an established expert in the areas of prostate cancer, lower genitourinary tract malignancies (penile, scrotal, and urethral cancers), lower genitourinary tract reconstruction (pelvic trauma and urethral stricture disease), erectile dysfunction and penile abnormalities (including Peyronies disease), and female urology (including urinary incontinence, urethral abnormalities, and prolapsed pelvic structures).
He is an expert prostate cancer surgeon, having performed over 2,000 radical prostatectomies where he has proven his skill at applying a single, minimally invasive 3-inch incision just above the pubic bone to facilitate rapid recovery and cosmesis and using a nerve-sparing technique. He has also developed management approaches to improve postoperative functional outcomes following radical prostatectomy.
Dr. Burnett is recognized for being a world-authority in the science and medicine of erectile dysfunction. He contributed original discoveries of the nitric oxide biochemical mechanisms in erectile tissue, which paved the way for the clinical development of oral medications to treat erectile dysfunction such as Viagra. He has also pioneered work to develop therapies to protect penile nerve function required for improved erectile function recovery after radical prostatectomy.
Dr. Burnett has written more than 150 original peer-reviewed articles, along with numerous additional articles, editorials, and book chapters, relating to his biomedical research and clinical activities. His work has appeared in many prominent journals such as Science, Nature Medicine, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Journal of Urology, Urology, and Journal of Andrology. He has sat on various advisory committees including the Urology Study Section, National Institutes of Health Center for Scientific Review and FDA Advisory Committee for Reproductive Health Drugs.
- Director, Basic Science Laboratory in Neuro-Urology
- Patrick C. Walsh Professor of Urology
- Director, Sexual Medicine Fellowship Program
- Professor, Oncology Center
- Professor of Urology
- Professor of Oncology
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1988)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Urology (1993)
- American Board of Urology / Urology (1998, 2007)
- American Board of Urology
- Diplomate, American Board of Urology
- Maryland State License
Research & Publications
Dr. Burnett has led the basic science laboratory in neurourology for the last 10 years. Principal research studies have focused on the neurophysiology of the pelvis along with molecular mechanisms largely specific to nerve regulation of erectile and voiding functions.
Original discoveries in the laboratory include the description of nitric oxide as the principal neurotransmitter regulating penile erection. This discovery contributed to an understanding of the science of penile erection in the early 1990s from which drugs such as Viagra, Levita and Cialis were developed. The laboratory has continued major studies in the areas of nitric oxide biology in the pelvis as they relate to other erection disorders such as priapism, a condition of prolonged penile erection.
In the past several years, the laboratory has focused on improving outcomes with radical prostatectomy, particularly as these relate to the recovery of urinary and erectile functions. Primary efforts have gone toward the investigation and development of chemical compounds for application in men undergoing radical prostatectomy in hopes that erectile function will be better preserved. Collaboration with neuroscientists at this institution have established a role for neuroimmunophilins, special proteins localized to nerves which appear to be the receptor molecules for specialized drugs that can be taken to thereby protect the nerves from significant damage. Experimental models in rats with nerve injury leading to erectile dysfunction similar to that occurring in men after radical prostatectomy have been used demonstrating the major potential for drugs based on this pathway to be developed and used in the near future.
Ongoing projects involve the study of additional drugs that may serve the purpose of recovering penile nerve function in men undergoing radical prostatectomy.
The basic science laboratory in neurourology, headed by Arthur L. Burnett, M.D., is one of the independent research laboratories within the Brady Urological Institute.
The laboratory focuses on biological mechanisms of the pelvis as these relate to erectile and voiding dysfunctions primarily. The direction of research aims to understand the neurophysiology as well as vascular physiology of the lower genitourinary tract, with an emphasis on the translational aspect of basic science discoveries relevant to the human condition. Overall, the laboratory is geared toward improving and preserving erectile and voiding dysfunctions that occur as a result of pelvic disorders and consequences from treatment of these disorders.
Lab Website: Neuro-Urology Laboratory
Clinical Trial KeywordsErectile Dysfunction
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Miner M, Nehra A, Jackson G, Bhasin S, Billups K, Burnett AL, Buvat J, Carson C, Cunningham G, Ganz P, Goldstein I, Guay A, Hackett G, Kloner RA, Kostis JB, Laflamme KE, Montorsi P, Ramsey M, Rosen R, Sadovsky R, Seftel A, Shabsigh R, Vlachopoulos C, Wu F. "All Men with Vasculogenic Erectile Dysfunction Require a Cardiovascular Workup." Am J Med. 2013 Nov 1. pii: S0002-9343(13)00927-3. doi: 10.1016/j.amjmed.2013.10.013.
Rowland DL, Adamski BA, Neal CJ, Myers AL, Burnett AL. "Self-Efficacy as a Relevant Construct in Understanding Sexual Response and Dysfunction." J Sex Marital Ther. 2013 Oct 28.
Chaux A, Munari E, Cubilla AL, Hicks J, Lecksell K, Burnett AL, Netto GJ. "Immunohistochemical Expression of the Mammalian Target of Rapamycin Pathway in Penile Squamous Cell Carcinomas: A Tissue Microarray Study of 112 Cases." Histopathology. 2013 Nov 27. doi: 10.1111/his.12338.
Burnett AL. "Erection Rehabilitation after Radical Prostatectomy: Definite Purpose, Indefinite Strategy." Eur Urol. 2013 Oct 28. pii: S0302-2838(13)01091-9. doi: 10.1016/j.eururo.2013.10.018.
Musicki B, Bivalacqua TJ, Champion HC, Burnett AL. "Sildenafil promotes eNOS activation and inhibits NADPH oxidase in the transgenic sickle cell mouse penis." J Sex Med. 2014 Feb;11(2):424-30. doi: 10.1111/jsm.12391.
Treatments for Male Sexual Dysfunction
Patent # 5,439,938
Methods and devices are taught for regulating penile erection and urethral function. Inhibitors of nitric oxide synthase and precursors of nitric oxide are applied to relax or contract the muscles of the corpus cavernosum and the urethra.
Method for Treating Nerve Injury Caused as a Result of Surgery
Patent # 10/156/735
Methods for treating nerve injury caused as a consequence of surgery, and specifically as a consequence of prostate surgery, or for methods of neuroprotection of penile innervation, by administering a neurotrophic compound to a patient in need thereof
Prevention and Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction
Patent # Pending (JHU Ref. 4446)
Activities & Honors
- Distinguished Mentor Award, Urology Care Foundation, American Urological Association
- Martin Luther King Jr. Award for Community Service, Johns Hopkins University
- Faculty Teaching Award, Department of Urology, 2010
- Edward J. Stegman CPA Memorial Award (4.0 GPA), Johns Hopkins Carey Business School, 2009
- Alumni Member, Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, 2009
- Certificate of Appreciation, American Society of Andrology, 2008
- First Place Award for Excellence, 27th Annual Jackson Hole Urology Conference, 2007
- Zorgniotti-Newman Prize, for Best Paper on Clinical Research in Sexual Medicine, 12th World Congress of the International Society for Sexual Medicine, 2006
- Jean Francois Ginesti; Prize, for Best Paper on Basic Science on Sexual Medicine (co-author), 11th World Congress of the International Society for Sexual and Impotence Research, 2004
- Emil Tanagho Prize, for Best Innovative Research (co-author), 10th World Congress of the International Society for Sexual and Impotence Research, 2002
- Yamanouchi Best Abstract Prize in Impotence, American Urological Association, 2001
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons, 1999
- Pfizer Scholar in Urology Award, Pfizer, Inc., 1999
- Yamanouchi Best Abstract Prize in Impotence, American Urological Association, 1998
- Merck Clinician Scientist Award, Merck & Co., 1996
- First Place, Lapides Annual Essay Contest on Urodynamic and Neurourology Research, American Urological Association, 1996
- Searle New Investigator Research Award, American Foundation for Urologic Disease, Inc., 1994
- Male Reproduction/Urology Prize Paper, American Fertility Society, 1993
- Second Place, Lapides Annual Essay Contest on Urodynamic and Neurourology Research, American Urological Association, 1993
- First Place, Laboratory Research, Annual Resident Prize Essay Contest, American Urological Association, 1993
- First Place, Basic Science, Resident Essay Competition, Mid-Atlantic Section of the American Urological Association, 1992
- Student Merit Award, American Society of Andrology, 1992
- Young Investigator Award for Post-Doctoral Investigation, Clinical Science, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 1992
- Summer Research Fellowship Program, Clinical Neurogenetics Branch, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institute of Health, Warren G. Magnuson Clinical Center, 1985
- Charles M. Cannon Memorial Prize, Biology Department Thesis Symposium, Princeton University, 1984
- Distinguished Military Graduate, Princeton University, R.O.T.C. Unit, 1984
- Order of Merit List, R.O.T.C. Advanced Camp, Fort Bragg, North Carolina, 1983
- Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America, 1976
- American Medical Association, 1988
- American Society for Peripheral Nerve, 2003
- American Society of Andrology, 1994
- American Urogynecologic Society, 1998
- American Urological Association, 1990
- International Society for Impotence Research, 1996
- International Society for the Study of Women’s Sexual Health, 2000
- Medical and Chirurgical Faculty of the State of Maryland, 1985
- Monumental City Medical Society, 1994
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, 1984
- National Medical Association, 1994
- Reserve Officers’ Association of the United States, 1984
- Sexual Medicine Society of North America, 1994
- Sigma XI Scientific Research Society, 1984
- Society of Government Service Urologists, 1991
- Society of Urologic Prosthetic Surgeons, 2006
- The American College of Surgeons, 1999
- The Society of Black Academic Surgeons, 1997
- The Society of Genitourinary Reconstructive Surgeons, 1998
- The Society of University Urologists, 2006
- Urodynamics Society, 1997
- International Society for Sexual Medicine
- Society for Urodynamics and Female Urology
- 2003 Program Committee, American Society of Andrology, 2001
- Advisory Committee for Reproductive Health Drugs, FDA, 2003
- Board of Directors, Sexual Medicine Society of North America, 2005
- Board of Directors, Mid-Atlantic Section of the American Urological Association, 2004 - 2007
- Comprehensive Diabetes Center's Advisory Board, Johns Hopkins, 1997
- Comprehensive Women's Health Center Oversight Committee, Johns Hopkins, 1997
- Examination Committee, American Board of Urology, 2001
- Executive Council, American Society of Andrology, 2004
- External Examiner, Jamaican Board of Urology Examination Committee (West Indies University), 2006
- Medical Advisory Board, National Kidney Foundation of Maryland, 1997
- Men's Health Advisory Board, Johns Hopkins, 1998
- Postgraduate Course Chairman, American Society of Andrology, 2003
- Prostate Cancer Guideline Update Panel, American Urological Association, 2006
- Prostate Cancer Outcomes Working Group, American Urological Association, 2004 - 2006
- Research Council Strategic Workgroup, AUA, 2007
- Urology Study Section, NIH Center for Scientific Review, 2001 - 2005
- Website Committee, Society for the Study of Impotence, 2000
- Workshop on Advancing Urologic Science and Career Development, NIDDK, 2007
- Male Circumcision Task Force, American Urological Association , 2008
- Chairman, Mid-Atlantic Section of the American Urological Association, 2001 - 2002
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Membership Committee, Mid-Atlantic Section of the American Urological Association, 2007
- Nominating Committee, Mid-Atlantic Section of the American Urological Association, Inc., 1999 - 2000