Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Alan Wayne Partin, M.D., Ph.D.
Urologist-in-Chief, The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Professor of Urology
Expertise: Prostate Cancer, Urology , Urology / Urologic Surgery, Urology, Adult
Research Interests: Bio-Markers for Prostate Disease; Urologic Surgery; Prostate Cancer; Urology
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-6100
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-6100
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Alan W. Partin is a prostate surgeon of Sibley Memorial Hospital and a professor of urology, oncology and pathology at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, where he is also on the advisory board for graduate medical education. Dr. Partin is also the Jakurski family director of urology and the urologist-in-chief for the department of urology and oncology at Johns Hopkins. He is board certified in urology and practices out of Sibley’s Prostate Cancer Multidisciplinary Clinic in Washington, D.C., the Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, MD and the Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center in Baltimore, MD.
Dr. Partin has an expertise in prostate cancer, urology and urologic surgery.
Dr. Partin earned his undergraduate degree from the University of Mississippi and his medical degree and Ph.D. in pharmacology and molecular systems from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, where he also completed residencies in surgery and urology.
Dr. Partin was named a Top MD by Consumers’ Checkbook Magazine in 2013 and was continuously named one of America’s Top Doctors and one of America’s Top Doctors for Cancer by Castle Connolly between 2005 and 2014. Castle Connolly also named Dr. Partin a Top Doctor in the Baltimore and Washington-Baltimore areas in 2012. Dr. Partin is a member of the American Cancer Society, American Medical Association, American Urological Association, Society for Basic Urologic Research, Society of Endourology, Society of Urologic Oncology and other professional organizations. He has served on the advisory council of Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, the infonet editorial board and prostate cancer advisory board of the American Cancer Society, the panel chairman of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network and the research council of the American Urological Association, as well as other positions.
Dr. Partin has contributed to over 550 scientific articles, as well as other publications, presentations and research, earning him the Ambrose Monell Research Award, the David Koch Prostate Cancer Research Award, the American Urological Association clinical research awards and the Merck Young Investigator Award, amongst others. Dr. Partin is credited with creating a set of tables widely known as the Partin Tables. These tables are based on accumulated data from hundreds of patients who had been treated for prostate cancer and are used to predict the pathologic stage (the cancer stage as determined by a pathologist after surgery) from clinical (pre-surgery) variables. The accurate prediction of pathologic stage can help physicians and patients choose the most appropriate treatments. Dr. Partin’s laboratories have also investigated many new serum tests, some of which can diagnose prostate cancer, as well as investigated new proteins that may help in further detection and staging of prostate cancer. Dr. Partin has additional research interests in bio-markers for prostate disease, urology and urologic surgery. He is the editor-in-chief of Urology Case Reports and the editor of the Campbell-Walsh urology text. the Campbell-Walsh urology text.
- Urologist-in-Chief, The Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Jakurski Family Professor
- Director, Department of Urology
- Professor of Urology
- Professor of Oncology
- Professor of Pathology
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1989)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Surgery (1991)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Urology (1995)
- American Board of Urology / Urology (1998, 2007)
Research & Publications
Dr. Partin’s laboratories are focused on development and testing of new and existing methods for predicting the aggressiveness of prostate cancers so that rational treatment decisions can be made by both patients and physicians. The laboratories have investigated many new serum tests, some of which are soon to become available for the diagnosis of prostate cancer as well as basics science investigation of new proteins, which may help in detection, and staging of prostate cancer.
Lab Website: Fisher Biomarker Research Laboratory
Clinical Trial KeywordsProstate Cancer
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Sundi D, Wang V, Pierorazio PM, Han M, Partin AW, Tran PT, Ross AE, Bivalacqua TJ. "Identification of men with the highest risk of early disease recurrence after radical prostatectomy." Prostate. 2014 Jan 22. doi: 10.1002/pros.22780.
Ball MW, Mullins JK, Epstein JI, Partin AW, Walsh PC. "Re: detailed analysis of patients with metastasis to the prostatic anterior fat pad lymph nodes: a multi-institutional study: I. Y. Kim, p. K. Modi, e. Sadimin, y.-S. Ha, j. H. Kim, d. Skarecky, d. Y. Cha, C. O. Wambi, y.-C. Ou, B. Yuh, s. Park, e. Llukani, d. M. Albala, T. Wilson, T. Ahlering, k. Badani, h. Ahn, d. I. Lee, m. May, w.-J. Kim and d. H. Lee j urol 2013;190:527-534." J Urol. 2014 Feb;191(2):559-61. doi: 10.1016/j.juro.2013.07.103.
Sundi D, Wang VM, Pierorazio PM, Han M, Bivalacqua TJ, Ball MW, Antonarakis ES, Partin AW, Schaeffer EM, Ross AE. "Very-high-risk localized prostate cancer: definition and outcomes." Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2014 Mar;17(1):57-63. doi: 10.1038/pcan.2013.46.
Inoue LY, Trock BJ, Partin AW, Carter HB, Etzioni R. "Modeling grade progression in an active surveillance study." Stat Med. 2014 Mar 15;33(6):930-9. doi: 10.1002/sim.6003.
Loeb S, Assimos D, Chancellor MB, Nickel JC, Brawer MK, Kern AJ, Partin AW. "Best of the 2013 AUA Annual Meeting: Highlights From the 2013 American Urological Association Meeting, May 4-8, 2013, San Diego, CA." Rev Urol. 2013;15(2):72-81. Review.
Activities & Honors
- Ambrose Monell Research Award
- David Koch Prostate Cancer Research Award
- Clinical Society of Genitourinary Surgeons, 2005
- American Association of Genitourinary Surgeons, 2002
- AUA/ACMI Gold Cystoscope Award, 2002
- Pfizer Scholars in Urology Award, 1996
- Clinical Research Third Prize, American Urological Association, 1995
- Zeneca Resident Writers Award 2nd Prize, 1995
- Clinical Research Third Prize, American Urological Association, 1994
- First Prize, Mid-Atlantic AUA Clinical Research Award, Mid-Atlantic AUA, 1994
- First Prize, Johns Hopkins Young Investigators Award, Clinical, Johns Hopkins, 1993
- Second Prize, Mid-Atlantic AUA Clinical Research Essay, 1993
- First Prize, Mid-Atlantic AUA Clinical Research Essay, 1992
- Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) award, 1984
- University of Mississippi summa cum laude
- Graduated number one in class University of Mississippi
- College Football Academic All-S.E.C. and All-American, 1983
- U. of Miss. Taylor Medal for Academic Excellence, 1982
- U. of Miss. Taylor Medal for Academic Excellence, 1983
- State of Mississippi representative to National Rhodes Scholar Selection, 1983
- High School Football second team All-American, 1979
- High School Football Academic All-American First Team, 1979
- National Key Club Lieutenant Governor of the Year, 1979
- Valedictorian, Grenada High School , 1979
- Society Basic Urologic Research - Merck Young Investigator Award, 1977
- Alpha Epsilon Delta
- Alpha Lambda Delta
- American Cancer Society
- American Medical Association
- American Medical Students Association
- American Urological Association
- Lambda Delta
- Mortar Board
- Omicron Delta Kappa
- Phi Eta Sigma
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Society for Basic Urologic Research
- Mid-Atlantic Section, American Urological Association
- Society of Endourology
- Society of Urologic Oncology
- Advisory Board, Johns Hopkins Graduate Medical Education
- Advisory Council, Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, 2004
- Alumni group, Alpha Omega Alpha, 2002
- Budget Committee, Johns Hopkins Clinical Practice Association
- Departmental Evaluation & Management CPT Protocol Coordinator
- Executive Committee, Early Diagnostic Research Network
- Infonet Editorial Board, American Cancer Society
- Nominating Committee, Mid-Atlantic Section of the American Urological Associates, 1999
- Panel Chairman, National Comprehensive Cancer Network, 2000 - 2002
Early Detection of Prostate Cancer
- Program Committee, Mid-Atlantic Section of the American Urological Associates
- Prostate Cancer Advisory Board, American Cancer Society
- Research Council, American Urological Association, 2001 - 2003
- Vice President, Phi Kappa Phi
Videos & Media
Alan W. Partin, Chairman Department Of Urology at Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions
Johns Hopkins History - Department of Urology
Prostatectomy- Prostate Cancer Surgery: Hospital Stay & Recuperation