Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Laura Marie Sterni, M.D.
Director, Johns Hopkins Pediatric Sleep Center
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Expertise: Pediatric Pulmonary Medicine
Research Interests: Pediatric sleep disorders
Request an Appointment
Johns Hopkins Pediatrics
Appointment Phone: 410-955-2035
200 N. Wolfe Street
Rubenstein Child Health Building
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Laura Sterni is an assistant professor of pediatrics at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Her areas of clinical expertise include pediatric pulmonary medicine and sleep disorders. She is director of the Johns Hopkins Pediatric Sleep Center.
Dr. Sterni received her medical degree from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She also completed her residency in pediatrics and her fellowship in pediatric pulmonary medicine at Johns Hopkins.
Her research focuses on pediatric sleep disorders.
She was recognized by Baltimore Magazine as a top doctor in pediatric pulmonology in 2013, 2011 and 2010.
- Director, Johns Hopkins Pediatric Sleep Center
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Departments / Divisions
- Pediatrics - Pulmonology
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1989)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pediatrics (1992)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pediatric Pulmonary Medicine (1996)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Pediatric Pulmonology (1996, 2011)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Pediatrics-General (1993)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Sleep Medicine (2007)
Research & Publications
Dr. Serni’s research focuses on pediatric sleep disorders.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
McGrath-Morrow SA, Ryan T, McGinley BM, Okelo SO, Sterni LM, Collaco JM. "Polysomnography in preterm infants and children with chronic lung disease." Pediatr Pulmonol. 2012 Feb;47(2):172-9. doi: 10.1002/ppul.21522. Epub 2011 Aug 3.
Macdonald KD, McGinley BM, Brown DJ, Sterni LM, Rosenstein BJ, Mogayzel PJ Jr. "Primary snoring and growth failure in a patient with cystic fibrosis." Respir Care. 2009 Dec;54(12):1727-31.
Schwengel DA, Sterni LM, Tunkel DE, Heitmiller ES. "Perioperative management of children with obstructive sleep apnea." Anesth Analg. 2009 Jul;109(1):60-75. doi: 10.1213/ane.0b013e3181a19e21. Review.
McGrath-Morrow SA, Sterni L, McGinley B, Lefton-Greif MA, Rosquist K, Lederman H. "Polysomnographic values in adolescents with ataxia telangiectasia." Pediatr Pulmonol. 2008 Jul;43(7):674-9. doi: 10.1002/ppul.20838.
Tunkel DE, Hotchkiss KS, Carson KA, Sterni LM. "Efficacy of powered intracapsular tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy." Laryngoscope. 2008 Jul;118(7):1295-302. doi: 10.1097/MLG.0b013e3181724269.
Activities & Honors
- Top Doctor in pediatric pulmonology, Baltimore Magazine, 2013
- Top Doctor in pediatric pulmonology, Baltimore Magazine, 2011
- Top Doctor in pediatric pulmonology, Baltimore Magazine, 2010