I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Thomas Finucane, M.D.
Co-Director, Johns Hopkins Home-Based Medicine, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Professor of Medicine
Languages: English, French, German, Spanish
Expertise: Alzheimer's Disease (AD), Aspiration Pneumonia, Clinical Care of Older Adults, Cognitive Decline in Older Adults, Geriatric Medicine, Palliative Care, Polypharmacy, Primary Care of Older Adults, Sleep Disorders, Swallowing Disorders, Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus ...read more
Research Interests: Palliative care; Enteral tube feeding; Avoiding over treatment and under treatment of the frail elderly; Teaching and learning about over/under treatment of the frail elderly; Advance directives ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-0925
5505 Hopkins Bayview Circle
John R. Burton Pavilion
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Thomas Finucane is a professor of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His areas of clinical expertise include Alzheimer’s disease, aspiration pneumonia and clinical care of older adults. Dr. Finucane serves as the co-director of the Johns Hopkins Home-Based Medicine at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center.
He received his undergraduate degree from Harvard College. He earned his M.D. from Emory University. He completed his residency at George Washington University Medical Center.
Dr. Finucane is a staff physician at the Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center. He was chair of the Ethics Committee at Bayview Medical Center and has been named Teacher of the Year there several times. He also was selected as Teacher of the Year for the School of Medicine in 1995. From August 1996 through February 1997, he was a Fulbright Senior Lecturer at the Hospital Civil de Guadalajara. From September to November 2011, he worked in Kampala, Uganda.
In addition to his work at Johns Hopkins, Dr. Finucane is a member of the Maryland Healthcare Ethics Committee Network and serves on the editorial board of the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. In 2010, the graduating medical students selected Dr. Finucane to be VIP Marshall for the School of Medicine graduation, in 2012 to administer the oath of Hippocrates and in 2014 to receive the George J. Stuart Award for clinical teaching.
- Co-Director, Johns Hopkins Home-Based Medicine, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Professor of Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- George Washington University School of Medicine / Internal Medicine (1982)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Geriatric Medicine (1988)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1982)
Research & Publications
Serum Albumin and Prealbumin in Calorically Restricted, Nondiseased Individuals: A Systematic Review. Lee JL, Oh ES, Lee RW, Finucane TE. Am J Med. 2015 Sep;128(9):1023.e1-1023.e22.
Wolff JL, Roter DL, Barron J, Boyd CM, Leff B, Finucane TE, Gallo JJ, Rabins PV, Roth DL, Gitlin LA. Tool to Strengthen the Older Patient-Companion Partnership in Primary Care: Results from a Pilot Study. N. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2014 Jan 13. doi: 10.1111/jgs.12639.
Mention of a patient's "race" in clinical presentations. Finucane TE. Virtual Mentor. 2014 Jun 1;16(6):423-7. doi: 10.1001/virtualmentor.2014.16.06.ecas1-1406
Bacteriuria in individuals who become delirious. McKenzie R, Stewart MT, Bellantoni MF, Finucane TE. Am J Med. 2014 Apr;127(4):255-7
Finucane TE, Bellantoni M, Ouslander JG. Strangers in strange lands: the serial transfer of individuals with severe dementia. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2013 Oct;61(10):1804-5. doi: 10.1111/jgs.12483. No abstract available.
Campbell JY, Durso SC, Brandt LE, Finucane TE, Abadir PM. The unknown profession: a geriatrician. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2013 Mar;61(3):447-9. doi: 10.1111/jgs.12115. Epub 2013 Jan 25.
Finucane TE. "Tight control" in geriatrics: the emperor wears a thong. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012 Aug;60(8):1571-5. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2012.04057.x. Epub 2012 Aug 6.
Activities & Honors
- George J. Stuart Award, Institute for Excellence in Education, Johns Hopkins, 2014
- Teacher of the Year, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, 2011 - 2011
- Teacher of the Year, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, 2007 - 2007
- Teacher of the Year, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, 2003 - 2003
- Teacher of the Year, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, 2000 - 2000
- Teacher of the Year, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, 1999 - 1999
- Teacher of the Year, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, 1996 - 1996
- Teacher of the Year, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, 1995 - 1995
- Teacher of the Year, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, 1990 - 1990
- Fulbright Senior Lecturer, Hospital Civil de Guadalajara, Guadalajara, Mexico, 1996 - 1997
- Teacher of the Year, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 1995
- Professors Award for Execellence in Teaching, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Outstanding Teacher Award, West Virginia University School of Medicine
- Member, Maryland Healthcare Ethics Committee Network, Baltimore, MD
- Editorial board, Journal of the American Geriatrics Society
- Past Chair, Ethics Committee, Bayview Medical Center, Baltimore, MD
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
“Minimal Benefit Is Seen in Drugs For Alzheimer's,” The New York Times, April 7, 2004