Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Eric B. Bass, M.D., M.P.H.
Eric Biren Bass, M.D., M.P.H.
Director, Johns Hopkins Evidence-based Practice Center
Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Internal Medicine
Research Interests: evidence-based medicine, and comparative effectiveness of medical and surgical interventions
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-0670
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Bass attended Duke University for college and medical school, and received his residency training in internal medicine and an MPH degree from the University of Pittsburgh. He completed a fellowship in general internal medicine at Johns Hopkins, and joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 1989. His strongest research interests are in evidence-based medicine and assessment of the effectiveness, safety, and costs of medical and surgical management strategies. He has been the Director of the Johns Hopkins Evidence-based Practice Center since 2001, and previously served as the Co-Director of the Johns Hopkins DEcIDE Center (Developing Evidence to Inform Decisions about Effectiveness). He currently serves as the Co-Director of a research facilitating team for the Johns Hopkins Community Health Partnership, an innovative multidisciplinary program funded by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. His teaching activities focus on medical student education at the interface between medicine and public health. He is the Director of the medical school''s course on Foundations of Public Health, and Co-Director of the medical school''s Scholarly Concentration in Public Health and Community Service. He was the Director of the General Internal Medicine Fellowship at Johns Hopkins for 15 years. He served as the Editor of the Journal of General Internal Medicine for 5 years, and was the founding Editor-in-Chief of a journal dedicated to community-based participatory research called Progress in Community Health Partnerships. From 2012 to 2015, he served as the elected President of the Society of General Internal Medicine. He has published more than 200 peer-reviewed articles and 40 evidence reports. He continues to have a clinical practice as a general internist.
- Director, Johns Hopkins Evidence-based Practice Center
- Director of the Foundations of Public Health Course in the School of Medicine
- Co-Director of the Scholarly Concentration in Public Health and Community Service in the School of Medicine
- Professor of Medicine
- MD, Duke University School of Medicine (1983)
- Presbyterian University Hospital/UPMC / Internal Medicine (1986)
- Presbyterian University Hospital/UPMC / Internal Medicine (1989)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1986)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Yeh HC, Lau BD, Golden SH, Donner T, Brown TT, Bass EB. High-priority research needs for insulin delivery and glucose monitoring methods. J Diabetes Sci Technol. 2013 Nov 1;7(6):1650-1. No abstract available. PMID: 24351194
- Lazarus G, Valle MF, Malas M, Qazi U, Maruthur NM, Doggett D, Fawole OA, Bass EB, Zenilman J. Chronic venous leg ulcer treatment: Future research needs. Wound Repair Regen. 2013 Oct 17. doi: 10.1111/wrr.12102. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24134795
- Golden SH, Bass EB. Validity of meta-analysis in diabetes: meta-analysis is an indispensable tool in evidence synthesis. Diabetes Care. 2013 Oct;36(10):3368-73. doi: 10.2337/dc13-1196. No abstract available. PMID: 24065845
- Stein E, Clarke JO, Hutfless S, Boult C, Doggett D, Fawole OA, Bass EB. Wireless Motility Capsule Versus Other Diagnostic Technologies for Evaluating Gastroparesis and Constipation: Future Research Needs: Identification of Future Research Needs From Comparative Effectiveness Review No. 110 [Internet]. Rockville (MD): Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US); 2013 May. PMID: 24049848
- Chang SM, Bass EB, Berkman N, Carey TS, Kane RL, Lau J, Ratichek S. Challenges in implementing The Institute of Medicine systematic review standards. Syst Rev. 2013 Aug 27;2(1):69. doi: 10.1186/2046-4053-2-69. PMID: 23981546
- Yeh HC, Lau BD, Golden SH, Donner T, Brown TT, Bass EB. Insulin Delivery and Glucose Monitoring Methods: Future Research Needs: Identification of Future Research Needs From Comparative Effectiveness Review No. 57 [Internet]. Rockville (MD): Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US); 2013 Mar. PMID: 23905192
- Selvaraj SA, Chairez E, Wilson LM, Lazarev M, Bass EB, Hutfless S. Use of case reports and the Adverse Event Reporting System in systematic reviews: overcoming barriers to assess the link between Crohn's disease medications and hepatosplenic T-cell lymphoma. Syst Rev. 2013 Jul 5;2:53. doi: 10.1186/2046-4053-2-53. PMID: 23826928
- Stein E, Berger Z, Hutfless S, Shah L, Wilson LM, Haberl EB, Bass EB, Clarke JO. Wireless Motility Capsule Versus Other Diagnostic Technologies for Evaluating Gastroparesis and Constipation: A Comparative Effectiveness Review [Internet]. Rockville (MD): Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US); 2013 May. PMID: 23785726
- Lau BD, Aslakson RA, Wilson RF, Fawole OA, Apostol CC, Martinez KA, Vollenweider D, Bass EB, Dy SE. Methods for Improving the Quality of Palliative Care Delivery : A Systematic Review. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2013 Mar 26. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 23532404
- Martinez KA, Aslakson RA, Wilson RF, Apostol CC, Fawole OA, Lau BD, Vollenweider D, Bass EB, Dy SM. A Systematic Review of Health Care Interventions for Pain in Patients With Advanced Cancer. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2013 Feb 12. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 23408371