Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Richard G Bennett, M.D.
President, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Geriatric Medicine
Dr. Richard G. Bennett is a professor of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He serves as president of Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center.
A professor of geriatric medicine who has spent his entire career at Johns Hopkins, Dr. Bennett has worked as a clinician, researcher, educator and administrator. Before being named president of Johns Hopkins Bayview, Dr. Bennett served for three years as the executive vice president and chief operating officer for the 700-bed medical center. Previously, he had served as vice president of medical affairs for the center as well as executive medical director of the Johns Hopkins Geriatrics Center (now Johns Hopkins Bayview Care Center) from 1997 to 2003. As executive medical director of the Geriatrics Center, Dr. Bennett led a variety of clinical programs, many of which became national models of care. He also directed the fellowship training program in geriatric medicine, overseeing and mentoring one of the largest groups of clinical and research geriatrics fellows in the country.
Dr. Bennett earned his bachelor’s degree at Dartmouth College. After graduating from Johns Hopkins in 1982, he completed both his internship and residency at Baltimore City Hospitals, a venerable municipal facility that long had an association with the School of Medicine and was acquired by Johns Hopkins while Dr. Bennett was completing his postgraduate training. Following a fellowship in geriatric medicine and gerontology at the Johns Hopkins, Dr. Bennett joined the faculty at Johns Hopkins Bayview and has been actively engaged in its transformation into a state-of-the-art academic medical center.
He has championed Johns Hopkins Bayview’s current initiatives to enhance the diversity and inclusion of the medical center’s staff. He is also working to establish a model program to improve the health of the communities surrounding the medical center through the development and fostering of partnerships between the medical center and area religious groups. He continues to teach medical students and provide patient care. He has published dozens of professional journal articles and abstracts, as well as co-authored several books, including Building Healthy Communities Through Medical-Religious Partnerships.
- President, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Professor of Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- MD; Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1982)
- Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center / Internal Medicine (1985)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology (1987)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1985)
Activities & Honors
- Diversity Recognition Award, Johns Hopkins Diversity Leadership Council, 2011
- American College of Physicians
a national organization of internists
- American Geriatrics Society
an organization of health professionals devoted to improving the health, independence and quality of life of all older people
- American Society for Microbiology
the oldest and largest single life science membership organization in the world
- American Federation for Clinical Research
an international multi-disciplinary association of scientists engaged in all areas of biomedical and patient-oriented clinical, translational and laboratory research
- Gerontological Society of America
interdisciplinary organization devoted to research, education and practice in the field of aging
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
an international non-profit organization dedicated to advancing science for the benefit of all people
- American Medical Directors Association
providing education, advocacy, information and professional development to promote the delivery of quality post-acute and long-term care medicine
- Board of Directors and Executive Medical Director, Keswick Multicare Center, Baltimore, MD
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
- “Bringing the doctor to the patient, Johns Hopkins works to bridge gap with community,” The Baltimore Sun, Dec. 23, 2015
- “Bayview unveils new facilities for emergency care, cancer and imaging,” The Baltimore Sun, March 3, 2015