I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Robert H Brown, M.D., M.P.H.
Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Research Interests: Pulmonary physiology
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-287-4582
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Robert H. Brown is a professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine, environmental health sciences, medicine and radiology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His areas of clinical expertise include anesthesiology.
Dr. Brown led the effort to enact a “latex-safe” policy at Johns Hopkins, making it one of the first medical institutions to ban the common (and potentially fatal) allergen.
He received his undergraduate degree in economics and biology from the University of Rochester. He earned his M.D. from the University of Pennsylvania and an M.P.H from Johns Hopkins. He completed both his residency in anesthesiology and a fellowship in chronic pain at Johns Hopkins. Dr. Brown joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 1990. He has been an adjunct professor in the Department of Respiratory Medicine at the University of Palermo in Italy since 2005.
Dr. Brown's research interest is pulmonary physiology.
Dr. Brown serves as associate editor of The Journal of Applied Physiology. He has been recognized by the Fleischner Society with a Fleishner Memorial Award. He is a member of several professional organizations, including the American Physiological Society and the American Society of Anesthesiologists.
- Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- Joint Appointment in Medicine
- Joint Appointment in Radiology and Radiological Science
- MD, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (1985)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine (1989)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Anesthesiology (1990)
Research & Publications
Dr. Brown’s overall area of research interest is the structure-function relationship of pulmonary airways and vessels and how they relate to reactive airway disease and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Current research interests and funded projects include the study of mechanisms and treatment of COPD progression, HIV infection in the etiology of lung disease, the natural history of asthma from birth to early adult life, the pathophysiologic consequences of lung distension, new approaches for the treatment of asthma, and lung inflation and airway hyperresponsiveness.
In particular, the studies in his laboratory involve: (1) the regional differences in airways constriction in response to a variety of differential bronchoconstrictors; (2) the location and mechanism of inhalational-induced bronchodilation (3) the effects of various physiologic stimuli on airway constriction; (4) pulmonary vasculature and airway interaction following various physiologic stimuli; (5) noninvasive methods of measuring lung disease; (6) the relationship of emphysema and airway distensibility to obstructive lung disease; (7) three-dimensional reconstruction of the airway tree; (8) radiation exposure in at-risk populations; and (9) high-resolution computed tomography of the pulmonary airways and vessels in vivo.
Dr. Brown’s long-term goal is to elucidate the structural changes in the lungs that lead to the pathophysiology of lung disease.
- Brown RH, Irvin C, Allen G, Shapiro S, Martin W, Kolb M, Hyde D, Nieman G, Cody D, Ishii M, Kadlecek S, Driehuys B, Rizi R, Wu A, Weber W, Stout D. "An official ATS conference proceedings: Advances in small-animal imaging application to lung pathophysiology." Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2008 Jul 15;5(5):591-600.
- Brown RH, Kaczka D, Fallano K, Chen S, Mitzner W. "Temporal variability in the responses of individual canine airways to methacholine." J Appl Physiol. 2008 May;104(5):1381-6.
- Meier S, Groeben H, Mitzner W, Brown RH. "Genetic variability of induction and emergence times for inhalational anaesthetics." Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2008 Feb;25(2):113-7. Epub 2007 Aug 1.
- Brown RH, Wizeman W, Danek C, Mitzner W. "Effects of bronchial thermoplasty on airway closure." Clinical Medicine: Circulatory, Respiratory and Pulmonary Medicine. 2007 Oct 12;1:1-6.
- Seow CY, An SS, Bai TR, Bates JHT, Black JL, Brown RH, et al. "Airway smooth muscle dynamics: A final common pathway of airway obstruction in asthma." Eur Respir J. 2007 May;29(5):834-60.
Activities & Honors
- Fleischner Memorial Award, Fleischner Society, 1994
- Magna Cum Laude, University of Rochester, 1981
- Omicron Delta Epsilon, 1981
- Regents Scholarship, 1977 - 1981
- American Physiological Society
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- American Thoracic Society
- Association of University Anesthesiologists
- International Anesthesiology Research Society
- Maryland Society of Anesthesiologists
- Associate Editor, The Journal of Applied Physiology, 2001
- Associate Editor, Anesthesiology, 2005 - 2010
- Chair, American Thoracic Society, 2012 - 2014
Respiratory, Structure and Function Assembly
- Chairman, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2000
Latex Task Force
- Executive Committee, The Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, 2011 - 2012
Department of Environmental Health Sciences