Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Karen Eileen King, M.D.
Associate Medical Director, Transfusion Medicine
Associate Professor of Pathology
Research Interests: Apheresis; Transfusion medicine
Request an Appointment
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-614-0205
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-2660
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Karen King is an associate professor of pathology and oncology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Her area of clinical expertise includes pathology. Dr. King serves as the associate medical director of the Division of Transfusion Medicine and the director of the Hemapheresis and Transfusion Support (HATS) service in the Department of Pathology.
She earned her M.D. from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She completed her residency in anatomic and clinical pathology at Johns Hopkins and performed a fellowship in transfusion medicine at Johns Hopkins.
Dr. King’s research interests include transfusion medicine and apheresis.
She is a member of several professional organizations, including the American Society for Apheresis and the College of American Pathologists.
- Associate Medical Director, Transfusion Medicine
- Director, Hemapheresis and Transfusion Support
- Associate Professor of Pathology
- Associate Professor of Oncology
Centers & Institutes
- Hemapheresis Treatment Center
- Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center
- MD; Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1986)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Anatomic Pathology (1991)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Transfusion Medicine (1996)
- American Board of Pathology / Anatomic & Clinical Pathology (1991)
- American Board of Pathology / Blood Banking/Transfusion Medicine (1995)
Research & Publications
Dr. King’s research focuses on two areas: 1) the problem of alloimmunization due to either multiple transfusions or fetal maternal incompatibility, and 2) novel indications for apheresis. Her interests involve the clinical complications related to red cell alloimmunization, specifically delayed hemolytic transfusion reactions and the phenomenon of bystander hemolysis. She is interested in the transfusion-related issues that complicate the course of patients with sickle cell disease, especially those issues due to alloimmunization and multiple transfusions.
- Garibaldi B, King KE, Jaffe JM, Moliterno AR. "Hypersplenism induced by splenic vein ligation." Am J Hematol. 2008 Mar;83(3):242-4.
- Tobian AAR, King KE, Ness PM. "Transfusion premedications: a growing practice not based on evidence." Transfusion. 2007;47:1089-1096.
- Haas M, Rahman MH, Racusen LC, Kraus ES, Bagnasco SM, Segev DL, Simpkins CE, Warren DS, King KE, Zachary AA, Montgomery RA. "C4d and C3d staining in biopsies of ABO- and HLA-incompatible renal allografts: correlation with histologic findings." Am J Transplant. 2006;6:1829-1840.
- Buetens O, Shirey RS, Goble-Lee M, Houp J, Zachary A, King KE, Ness PM. "Prevalence of HLA antibodies in transfused patients with and without red cell antibodies." Transfusion. 2006;46:754-756.
- Segev DL, Simpkins CE, Warren DS, King KE, Shirey RS, Maley WR, Melancon JK, Cooper M, Kozlowski T, Montgomery RA. "ABO incompatible high-titer renal transplantation without splenectomy or anti-CD20 treatment." Am J Transplant. 2005;5:2570-2575.
- Sukkar A, Mollura D, King KE, Spivak J, Hassoun PM, McDyer JF. "A case of pulmonary hypertension associated with a rare congenital hemolytic anemia." Clinical Pulmonary Medicine. 2005;12:319-322.
- King KE, Ness PM. "Treatment of autoimmune hemolytic anemia." Seminars in Hematology. 2005;42:131-136.
- King K, Vogelsang GB. "Graft versus host disease (GVHD): recent advances including the use of photopheresis." Curr Opin in Organ Transplant. 2005;10:51-58.
King KE, Shirey RS, Lankiewicz MW, Young-Ramsaran J, Ness PM. Delayed hemolytic transfusion reactions in sickle cell disease: simultaneous destruction of recipients' red cells. Transfusion 1997;37:376-381. PMID: 9111274
Ness PM, Shirey RS, Weinstein MH, King KE. An animal model for delayed hemolytic transfusion reactions. Transfusion Medicine Reviews 2001;15:305-317. PMID: 11668437
Shirey RS, Boyd JA, Parwani AV, Tanz WS, Ness PM, King KE. Prophylactic antigen-matched donor blood for patients with warm autoantibodies: an algorithm for transfusion management. Transfusion 2002;42:1435-1441. PMID: 12421216
King KE, Shirey RS, Thoman SK, Bensen-Kennedy D, Tanz WS, Ness PM. Universal leukoreduction decreases the incidence of febrile non-hemolytic transfusion reactions to RBCs. Transfusion 2004;44:25-29. PMID: 14692963
Tobian AAR, Fuller AK, Uglik K, Tisch DJ, Borge PD, Benjamin RJ, Ness PM, King KE. The impact of platelet additive solution apheresis platelets on allergic transfusion reactions and corrected count increment. Transfusion 2014;54:1523-1529. PMID:24251374.
Montgomery RA, Zachary AA, Racusen LC, Leffell MS, King KE, Burdick J, Maley WR, Ratner LE. Plasmapheresis and intravenous immune globulin provides effective rescue therapy for refractory humoral rejection and allows kidneys to be successfully transplanted into crossmatch positive recipients. Transplantation 2000;70:887-95. PMID: 11014642
Montgomery RA, Locke JE, King KE, Segev DL, Warren DS, Kraus ES, Cooper M, Simpkins CE, Singer AL, Stewart ZA, Melancon JK, Ratner L. Zachary AA, Haas M. ABO incompatible renal transplantation: a paradigm ready for broad implementation. Transplantation 2009;87:1246-1255. PMID: 19384174
Montgomery RA, Segev DL, Lonze BE, Haas M, King KE, Kraus ES, Locke JE, Warren DS, Cooper M, Simpkins CE, Dagher NN, Singer AL, Samaniego-Picota MD, Ratner LE, Kucirka LM, Leffell MS, Zachary AA. Desensitization in HLA-incompatible kidney recipients and survival. New England Journal of Medicine 2011;365:318-326. PMID: 21793744
Gladstone DE, Zachary AA, Fuchs EJ, Luznick L, Kasamon YL, King KE, Brodsky R, Jones RJ, Leffell MS. Partially mismatched transplantation and human leukocyte antigen donor-specific antibodies. Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation 2013;19:647-652. PMID:23353119
Pagano MB, Murinson BB, Tobian AAR, King KE. Efficacy of therapeutic plasma exchange for treatment of stiff person syndrome. Transfusion 2014;54:1851-1856. PMID: 24527774.
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Graduate Program Affiliation
Courses and Syllabi
Blood Bank/Transfusion Medicine (Course Director)
Activities & Honors
- American Society for Apheresis
- American Society for Clinical Pathology
- College of American Pathologist
- Leadership Program for Women Faculty, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2011 - 2012