Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Srinivasa N Raja, M.B.B.S., M.D.
Director, Division of Pain Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Languages: English, Hindi, Tamil
Expertise: Anesthesiology, Neuralgia, Neuropathies, Pain Management
Research Interests: Peripheral and central mechanisms of neuropathic pain
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-1822
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-7246
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Srinivasa N. Raja is a professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine and neurology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Dr. Raja serves as director of pain research and director of the Division of Pain Medicine in the Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine.
Dr. Raja’s clinical interests include management of chronic pain states, such as complex regional pain syndromes, sympathetically maintained pain, post-therapeutic neuralgia and post-amputation pain.
He received his early medical training in India, his residency training in anesthesiology at the University of Washington and post-doctoral training at the University of Virginia School of Medicine. He received diplomate certification from the American Board of Anesthesiology in 1982. He added qualifications in pain management in 1993 and was recertified in 2002.
Dr. Raja served as editor of Anesthesiology from 1998 to 2006. He established the “Classic Papers Revisited” section in 2000 and served as its section editor. He is presently a section editor (Clinical:Science, Epidemiology and Clinical Notes) for the journal Pain. He is vice chair of the International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP), a neuropathic pain special interest group.
Dr. Raja and his collaborators have published more than 170 articles in peer-reviewed journals such as Anesthesia and Analgesia, Anesthesiology, Brain, Journal of Neurophysiology, The Journal of Neuroscience, Nature, Neurology, Pain and Science. He is an editor of four books and has written numerous book chapters. He has been invited to lecture both nationally and internationally and has been invited to several universities as a visiting professor.
Dr. Raja’s awards include the 14th annual Benjamin G. Covino lecture at Harvard University in 2008, the Wilbert E. Fordyce Clinical Investigator Award from the American Pain Society in 2008 and the John J. Bonic Award from the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine in 2010.
- Director, Division of Pain Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- Director of Pain Research, Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- Professor of Neurology
Centers & Institutes
- Patna Medical College Patna University (1974)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Anesthesiology (1982)
Research & Publications
Dr. Raja’s research efforts are aimed at understanding the peripheral and central mechanisms of neuropathic pain and in determining the role of opioid and adrenergic receptor mechanisms in mediating or maintaining chronic neuropathic pain states.
His lab is also involved in studies to determine the mechanisms of actions of spinal cord stimulation for chronic pain. He has conducted controlled clinical trials to develop better evidence-based practices for the pharmacological treatment of neuropathic pain.
Clinical Trial KeywordsCRPS (reflex sympathetic dystrophy, causalgia), Postamputation pain, Postherpetic neuralgia
- Wu CL, Raja SN. "An update on the treatment of postherpetic neuralgia." J Pain. 2008 Jan;9(1 Suppl 1):S19-30. doi: 10.1016/j.jpain.2007.10.006. Review.
- Guan Y, Johanek LM, Hartke TV, Shim B, Tao YX, Ringkamp M, Meyer RA, Raja SN. "Peripherally acting mu-opioid receptor agonist attenuates neuropathic pain in rats after L5 spinal nerve injury." Pain. 2008 Aug 31;138(2):318-29. doi: 10.1016/j.pain.2008.01.004. Epub 2008 Feb 13.
- Kudel I, Edwards RR, Kozachik S, Block BM, Agarwal S, Heinberg LJ, Haythornthwaite J, Raja SN. "Predictors and consequences of multiple persistent postmastectomy pains." J Pain Symptom Manage. 2007 Dec;34(6):619-27. Epub 2007 Jul 16.
- Guan Y, Borzan J, Meyer RA, Raja SN. "Windup in dorsal horn neurons is modulated by endogenous spinal mu-opioid mechanisms." J Neurosci. 2006 Apr 19;26(16):4298-307.
- Lin EE, Horasek S, Agarwal S, Wu CL, Raja SN. "Local administration of norepinephrine in the stump evokes dose-dependent pain in amputees." Clin J Pain. 2006 Jun;22(5):482-6.
- Chu YC, Guan Y, Skinner J, Raja SN, Johns RA, Tao YX. "Effect of genetic knockout or pharmacologic inhibition of neuronal nitric oxide synthase on complete Freund's adjuvant-induced persistent pain." Pain. 2005 Dec 15;119(1-3):113-23. Epub 2005 Nov 16.
Activities & Honors
- Recipient Wilbert E. Fordyce Clinical Investigator Award, American Pain Society, 2008
- John J. Bonica Lecturer, University of Washington, 2008
- Benjamin Covino Lectureship, Harvard University, 2008
- American Academy of Pain Medicine
- American Pain Society
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- Amputee Coalition of America
- Association of University Anesthesiologists
- International Association for the Study of Pain
- Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Association of America
- Society for Neuroscience
- Chair, Scientific Advisory Committee for the 15th World Congress on Pain, 2014
- Chairman, Annual Meeting of the American Pain Society, 1995
Professional Development Courses
- Chairman, Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 1990 - 1992
Clinical Research Committee
- Clinical Trials Editor, MD Consult Pain Medicine, 2002
- Co-Chair, Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome Association (RSDSA), 2002
Scientific Advisory Board
- Co-Director, Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 1991 - 1993
Pain Management Services
- Director at Large, American Pain Society, 2006 - 2009
- Editor, Anesthesiology, 1998 - 2006
- Executive Committee, IASP
Neuropathic Pain Special Interest Group
- Executive Committee, International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP), 2014
- President, Association of Scientists of Indian Origin in America, 1986
- Section Editor, Pain
- Section Editor, Anesthesiology, 1999 - 2006
Classic Papers Revisited
Videos & Media
Neuropathic Pain: Bridging Bedside to Bench, Part II
Neuropathic Pain: Bridging Bedside to Bench, Part III